Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: >Free<Orion (MOO Inspired Community Made Game)  (Read 6162 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
>Free<Orion (MOO Inspired Community Made Game)
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:13:39 pm »

So, while searching for a TBS to play, I found Freeorion.

I have never played MOO, so this isn't nostalgia talking. This game is quite good for the stage its in (.04v). Its still in active development, and the developers have quite a few good features planned

The game play is essentially space conquest/colonization, with research and so on. Sort of like GalcivII, but with multiplayer.

The research tree is immense.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is a pretty simple design system also.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll probably be organizing games through Dwarf Fortress Community(DFC) in their Steam chat occasionally.

You can find the wiki/download page here

A 'quick' start up guide can be found here
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: >Free<Orion (MOO Inspired Community Made Game)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:43:29 pm »

Wow, I thought this was dead. I played it a little during its no-updates-for-a-long-time period. Looks like that's ended. Either way, great space TBS.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:48:15 pm »

As a massive MOO nut, and someone who worked as part of the MOO3 community to extensivly mod and fix the game into a good game almost unrecognizable from the sorry mess it was upon release, I have been following this for YEARS. Its still not quite there for me... heres hoping it continues to (slowly) take shape.
This is a blank sig.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 06:14:19 pm »

Jesus christ, that is a massive tech tree. Or looks like one.

Also, thumbs up for good yet colorful post.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:59:19 pm »

Well, since I played it tech tree didnt change much, but there was a simple problem back there - almost nothing on that tree worked, playing it was based on encountering bug after bug and really nothing to do besides coding.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 12:47:18 am »

As a massive MOO nut, and someone who worked as part of the MOO3 community to extensivly mod and fix the game into a good game almost unrecognizable from the sorry mess it was upon release, I have been following this for YEARS. Its still not quite there for me... heres hoping it continues to (slowly) take shape.

I just want to thank you for being part of the community that made MoO3 into the wonderful game it shoulda been at start, instead of the horrible mess of bugs it was originally. Cause I love that game and still play it religiously.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 02:15:28 pm »

How playable is this really?  I ran into it a few years ago and it looked dead.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 02:38:33 pm »

Not very. Some good bare bones, but thats about it IIRC. The lack of a real AI cripples it... at least when I played it. Dunno if that has been improved upon.
This is a blank sig.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 02:47:15 pm »

How playable is this really?  I ran into it a few years ago and it looked dead.

I found it quite playable. We had a game last night with 4 people. Though Cheese left and we didn't have an autosave, it was still fun.

But Monkey is right. The AI is kind of dumb. Its better to play with other people.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 04:26:13 pm »

This games quite a bit of fun, we should organize some online games to make it more challenging :)