Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort ((Looking for peeps))  (Read 11883 times)

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 06:22:17 pm »

Id like a turn :D

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 12:14:38 am »

Please sign me up for a turn, unless you've got too many already.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 03:01:02 am »

There are never enough.  From what I've seen a lot of people sign up and then real life happens so extra is always good.  On a completely unrelated note, I lost a bunch of pictures I had taken do to a utility I added to make it easier (i.e. I didn't have to save every picture through MSPaint).  So a lot of semi-interesting (is anything in the first year really that exciting?) events pictures were lost.

Your turn now Khenal.

The Militia Commander really is beginning to frighten me.  He has been compulsively butchering any large animals in the fortress and now wears only clothes made from the bones or skin of those he's slaughtered.  He even fought an alligator and came back unscathed, complaining the alligator had "pussed" out and hid in a lake. . . I've made him Militia Commander purely because I have no idea what else to do with him. 

I wanted you see what I had equipped the militia commander with.  He slaughters creatures while wearing their brothers.  FEAR HIM!

The caravan has finally arrived.  Our cook has been trying to deal with the massive influx of meat and organs by cooking it up.  I, in an executive decision, decided to sell a barrel of the finest prepared meals our fortress had on hand and some porcelain goods.  In return I was able to get milk, cheese, a steel spear, a few bins of leather, some seeds, as well as some other items merely to even out the trade agreement.  I don't want the Mountain Homes to think of us as TOO generous after all.

Just as I was having my eventual tomb engraved, I realized we had agreed to have a dwarf be the symbol of our colonial group, "The Single Wheel."  Why would a dwarf best represent "The Single Wheel"?  Whoever pulled that over on me must have been one smooth talker.

Seriously, a dwarf... a dwarf?

As Winter set in I realized we must find the caverns, after all, what kind of dwarf goes around grubbing on the surface all the time.  I directed the miners to dig a staircase, I wasn't prepared for what would come next however.  Apparently we settled right over a nest of foul rodent men.  The miner said he thought there were about 10 of the suckers around.  It also appears they have settled right next to a gold vein that could prove most valuable in our endeavors, for the time though, I decided the best course of action would be to begin professionally outfitting our army so as to be able to deal with these foul vermin when the time came.

There are a whole lot of blowgunners there, and I'm worried about poisons so I actually have stepped up Iron production.  I'm hoping once they are all outfitted in Iron they'll be able to take the hostile rodent(wo)men out without a hitch.

I'm beginning to worry even more about the Militia Commander, I personally saw him biting a Turkey that had "intruded on his land".  If I didn't know any better I'd say he was rabid.  It's only half-way through winter and the Commander has been looking at me funny for a while now, I think it might be time to take my leave.

He bit a Turkey... he seriously bit a Turkey.

After wrapping up a few loose ends I took aside a no name record-keeper and told him he was in charge now, and that I was hoofing it back to the Mountain Homes, better to die on the road than to die at the hands of the dread "GraniteAngel".  I gave him my four rooms complete with decorations, hopefully he keeps quiet and I don't have to worry about him following behind me

-Diary of V-Norrec, now exiled from WeatheredCastle by choice leaving a decoy behind him, Autumn through Spring of 552/553

I did good, yes?

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 11:42:43 am »

*bump*

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 11:47:33 am »

Did... did he seriously just tear a turkey apart with his teeth?  Are you sure he's a dwarf and not a tiger in a really unconvincing disguise?

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 12:51:20 pm »

Yes, he really bit that turkey to death.  He also fought an alligator and managed to block EVERY shot.  Seriously each shot was blocked by the shield.  Dude is a Spartan I swear.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 01:14:47 pm »

Downloading now.  That militia guy sounds scary (read:awesome).
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 01:19:20 pm »

I also have a couple of levers, I put notes over then though so not to much to worry about there.  No life changing levers anyhow, just the usual ones.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 02:01:56 pm »

Just looked around and decided to claim the butcher as me.  Gonna do a lot of remodeling with a special eye towards security.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 02:08:24 pm »

Sounds good to me, not that I have any control over what happens now anyhow.  Oh, you may also want to wall off that one little section of the stairwell leading to the Caverns that is exposed.  You know, stop Giant Cave Swallows and all that ish.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 02:31:36 pm »

Let them come in. Our militia commander likes the taste of feathers...
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 02:39:56 pm »

From the Journal of Khenal, 2nd overseer of WeatheredCastle

I can't believe it took me a month of being overseer to remember to keep a record of what happens.

I got the position after the previous Overseer decided he'd had enough and left.  Said something about a surgery he never got to perform.  He got somebody to take his name and his jobs as broker and book keeper.  I got the job of Overseer mostly because nobody else felt like it at the time.

After looking around I noticed several things I feel needed to be addressed.  Like the entrance, for example.

As you can see, while we have a ton of iron mined out, but it's sitting out in the open.  Here, I have already expanded the main stairway from a single stair to a grand staircase.  I have also started on a security wall to ensure our iron is safe.

I have also included a picture of the main floor.

All of the workshops were in that large room just off-center.  I have moved several of the shops to deeper floors with easier access to stockpiles.  I will likely leave the large room for the textile industry, and perhaps some other misc plant/animal shops.

Speaking of plants, somebody sure loves their sweetpods.  A large field, only slightly smaller than all the others combined, was almost solely dedicated to them.  I've removed the field and will be modifying the area to grow some above ground crops.  Variety, my friends, is the spice of life.

That's it for now, looks like a huge wave of migrants incomming.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 05:19:28 pm »

From the Journal of Khenal, 2nd Overseer of WeatheredCastle

Yep, a bunch of migrants.  21 migrants, to be exact.  The new bedrooms are still at least 2 months from being dug out, not to mention the beds, doors and cabinets to furnish them!

A few months after those migrants, another 10 migrants came in.  Bedrooms are finally finished, at least.  Well, except the smoothing, but that can be done while occupied.  I ordered a larger room for me and my family.  Yes, my wife gave birth on the 23rd of Slate to a beautiful baby girl!  We've named her Kib.

Just a picture of the first floor of housing, and showing my room.

Securing outside is going well, the wall is almost done and several single-weapon traps are planned.  Bridges will go over the pits to allow easy access for when the fort is open for business, as it were.

MUST BUILD!  SCREW THIS YAK CARCASS, SOMEBODY ELSE CAN BUTCHER IT!  OUTTA MY WAY!  YES, MECHANICS SHOP.  HEMATITE, LIGNITE, ROPE REED, MWUAHAHAHA!

TOO MUCH OTHER CRAP IN HERE, EXPAND THE STOCKPILES!

That was intense.  Langgud the Wooden Tulip himself appeared to me and gave me designs to build.  He approved of the plans I had for defense of our home and has given me divine inspiration to see it finished before the year is out. 

Oh, a merchant party showed up while I was...busy.  Looks like we've already traded with them and everyone is happy.  Fall has just arrived and I have a mission to complete!

(Seriously, my dorf got a mood and made an artifact mechanism.  With him legendary in mechanics, it should be no problem to get my defense plans finished by the end of my turn. :) )

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 06:29:34 pm »

Wow nice 9x outa 10 usually my dwarfs dont get any skill

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 07:21:00 pm »

You turn is looking pretty good so far.
Also, once my turn begins, everything may either take forever, or go all to hell.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13