Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort ((Looking for peeps))  (Read 11882 times)

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
Re: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 09:08:06 pm »

From the Journal of Khenal, the 2nd Overseer of WeatheredCastle

Fall and winter passed with only the Dwarven Caravan to disturb the construction of the Langgud Gate.

Toys again.  I wonder why the Mountainhome is obsessed with toys?  Anyhow, they brought some steel and flux, as well as turkeys and cheese.  I bought what I could and asked for more flux and steel, as well as pig iron.

The extended stockpiles I ordered have been designated as furniture/finished goods.  The food stockpile is just about full, so that should get extended next.

Under the stockpiles are the woodworking and stoneworking areas, as well as another area I had intended as another workshop area.  I notice it may make for a good dining room.  The current one is getting a bit crowded.  Below those are the housing floors, 3 floors so far.  Each floor has 28 rooms, and easy space for larger accommodations at the end of the hallways.

Lots of stuff done to the main floor, yet only the Langgud Trap really stands out.  The main workshop area still has most of hte shops in it, only the woodworking and stoneworking shops were moved.  A small magnetite pile has been set by one of the smelters also.  Oh, and more coal/lignite needs to be mined before any serious metalworking happens.  Areas I marked with questions are sugestions, though I did intend the hospital area as a hospital.  It has easy access to a well, so it's a good place.  I have no idea what to do with the old rooms here, especially since the millitia leader has taken to using one of them as a closet for his clothes...

Here is the Langgud Gate in all it's glory.  When we have no hostiles around, we have a nice wide gate.  When goblins and the like show up, a simple lever pull shows them the error of their ways.  Note the raising bridge: I have set the raising section as restricted to minimize friendly casualties.

Here's a simple cage trap I had set up.  I noticed some crocs over here in the early part of the year and though they might make decent pets.  So far, all it's caught is a duck, though.

Hmm, seems I was a bit premature in calling the winter uneventful: The Langgud Gate has claimed its first goblins.  I'll leave the cleaning of the mess to the next overseer.  I'm going to spend some time with Ral and Kib.  I leave you with the current stocks.  Huh, looks like we're almost out of booze already.  I guess I'll order more brewed before handing over the keys.

I enjoyed doing this, and it went really smooth for my first time playing a succession fort.  All the weapon traps are single serrated iron discs.  There are a lot of idlers, I had no idea what to do with them all.  Only about half the fort is gainfully employed.  Anyhow here's the save, enjoy!

Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:03 pm »

Crap son, how did you let it get down to one drink, when I left I think we had like 260.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2011, 09:39:32 pm »

Heh, that's actually the 2nd time I let it get down to 1 drink.  I got distracted by my projects :P
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2011, 10:17:19 pm »

My turn already? Heh. I'm gonna have to start it tomorrow.
And 1 drink? Well, this is gonna suck. I sure hope there's a farm set up.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 10:47:08 pm »

Don't worry about the drink.  There are tons of plants, so it should be a cake to refill the piles.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2011, 11:46:22 pm »

The well also has a masterwork bucket so we can survive on water for a bit without TOO noticeable of a drop in mood.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 12:19:44 am »

Don't worry, I've got the still running. On another note, screw it. It's tomorrow somewhere. Starting my turn now. Warning: contains swearing.

Spoiler: Turn 2 (click to show/hide)
OOC: I decided to play a bit of this while I have the chance to do so. Currently running at about 20 FPS, but it's much better than usual. Please tell me how you like it so far.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:22:22 am by drakon136 »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2011, 12:25:47 am »

I like, I was wondering when somebody was going to go into the caverns, I didn't have the dwarf-power or time, but now, nothing can save the rodent men, mukukuku.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2011, 12:39:37 am »

Heh, things aren't looking well for the rodents. You'll see why. Warning: more swearing.
Spoiler: Turn 2 Part 2 (click to show/hide)
Done posting, going to bed.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2011, 12:55:35 am »

Heh, I like it so far.

dzha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • shff
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2011, 06:13:36 am »

I want a turn too! :)
Add me to the list!
shff.wordpress.com

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2011, 11:52:32 am »

Starting back up again. Warning: even more swearing
Spoiler: Turn 2 Part 3 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:57:42 am by drakon136 »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:38 pm »

I want a turn too! :)
Add me to the list!
added

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 01:52:17 pm »

Warning: do I really have to say it? Oh well. Contains (once again) swearing.
Spoiler: Turn 2 Part 4 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:38:19 pm by drakon136 »

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 06:57:20 pm »

They hit the animal trap?  Aw, the Langgud gate could have really used a fresh coat of goblin blood :)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13