Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: God Damn Migrants  (Read 11802 times)

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
God Damn Migrants
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:49:46 pm »

I don't need 50 god damn wax workers I live on a fucking glacier you are of no value to me there are no bees on this glacier go home.

And stop bringing your god damn guinea pigs to my fortress I've owned guinea pigs they suck ass if I could butcher them and feed them to you I would.

Why are migrants so useless? I literally have an army of farmers and floor detailers because migrants just sit around and do nothing otherwise. My idlers are in the 70s in an 80 person fort. What am I doing wrong here?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: God Damn Migrants
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:01:04 pm »

You are doing nothing wrong. This is completely natural. Conscript all the migrants as masons and carpenters and build a giant sacrificial chamber for them.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:02:30 pm »

I both hate, and love migrants. I love them early on, when they come in nice, managable waves... then I hate them when the game is like:
"Here, ruin all your work! HAVE 20 MIGRANTS!"

I wish I could just force the game to keep them waves at under 10 or something.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:03:56 pm »

Is there any way to just completely remove immigrant pets in the init files? All I want is a thousand turkeys and one gobbler. That's it. No guinea pigs, no dogs, nothing. Turkeys.

And, yeah, I love it when I get 3 migrants.

"Miner McImmigrant has arrived with his pickaxe, ready to work!"
"Woodcutter McImmigrant has arrived with his axe, ready to work!"
"Farmer McImmigrant has arrived, ready to work the fields"

Then.

"Peasent McImmigrant has arrived with tattered clothes, ready to eat, drink, and socialize! x50"

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:04:40 pm »

Draft them all in to the military. Every single one of them.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:05:49 pm »

What am I doing wrong here?

You need to apply the correct amount of selection pressure. Or magma. Or, selection pressure by magma.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:06:01 pm »

Draft them all in to the military. Every single one of them.
I'm terrible at managing the military now. I don't know how to do anything. I have one squad with 5 novice marksdwarves, 2 hammerdwarves, and 1 recruit by the first seige.

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 11:12:26 pm »

Atom smash any useless migrants into nothingness. Or use liberal amounts of magma. Or a danger room. I could go on.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 11:15:00 pm »

If you have enough equipment to go around and a big meat industry, make like five squads of marksdwarves and bone bolts. An enormous hail of inaccurate fire is surprisingly effective at incapacitating a siege for your melee troops to clean up. You don't even need to bother with them training, really, they'll get plenty of experience from shooting at goblins.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 11:20:47 pm »

Atom smash any useless migrants into nothingness. Or use liberal amounts of magma. Or a danger room. I could go on.

"Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM*

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 11:22:50 pm »

I use a two-tier military set-up that works well dealing with migrants.

1st Tier - Professional Soldiers. Well-stocked baracks, Adept Weapon/Armoursmiths, Steel Armour and Bismuth Bronze Maces. Kept happy, fit, and heathly. When one of these dwarves gets hurt, I unforbid the soap stockpiles.

2nd Tier - Useless migrants. Armed in whatever metal I happen to have in abundance, even if that means I have to mod the RAWs to make Sterling Silver an armour material. Sent out first in any fight. Long patrol duty, removed from other dwarves to make their deaths less impacting.

But, in all seriousness, I've abandoned forts because they went from 15 to 40 dwarves/goblins(yay for raw editing) and I didn't have enough food/booze, and didn't care to watch the dehydration/tantrum spiral.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:24:42 pm by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 11:24:04 pm »

I kill them so my engravers have something nice and tasteful to put on the hospital walls.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:34:18 am »

My idlers are in the 70s in an 80 person fort. What am I doing wrong here?
...assign them some labors? There is absolutely no excuse for that
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 02:40:09 am »

Make a stone stockpile somewhere and get haulin'. :P

It's a pity guineapigs don't produce any meat when butchered. Stray ones would be useful then and I wouldn't feel quite as bad for butchering them. Guineapig skull totems just don't quite work.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 02:42:20 am »

Gather all the guineapigs and pit them into any cavern level that you feel needs some hands on exploration. Cave crocs will eventually snag them up.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.
Pages: [1] 2 3