Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: 4.6 bil. year-old organic components of DNA confirmed on meteorites from SPAAACE  (Read 7363 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile

Maybe they're so alien to us that they wouldn't recognize us as living beings and vice versa.

Anyways, best case scenario, they leave us alone. Worst case scenario, they kill us off so they can mine our minerals without the hassle of the indigenous population :P
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I seriously doubt any aliens that found us would be hostile. Earth has nothing to offer that the rest of the universe doesn't have in massive abundance.

I foresee two possible reactions:

1) Complete and utter apathy.
2) Them calling Earth a nature reserve and purposefully avoiding messing with it.

Or they would be like us, extremely curious about the new and different life.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I seriously doubt any aliens that found us would be hostile. Earth has nothing to offer that the rest of the universe doesn't have in massive abundance.

2) Them calling Earth a nature reserve and purposefully avoiding messing with it.

Or they would be like us, extremely curious about the new and different life.
That would be #2. With some observation pylons or whatever, I guess.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know, I could see a bunch of space-faring humans go down through the new planet's atmosphere and romp around and stick down flags and stuff to see what was out there.

But maybe by that point we'll be following the Prime Directive.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile

I don't know, I could see a bunch of space-faring humans go down through the new planet's atmosphere and romp around and stick down flags and stuff to see what was out there.

Yeah, no. That's quite immoral. It's basically the same as looking at the third world nations, and deciding to leave them to grow by themselves, instead of, you know, giving them the technology and the aid required to get their country up into a first world quality of life.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Yeah, no. That's quite immoral. It's basically the same as looking at the third world nations, and deciding to leave them to grow by themselves, instead of, you know, giving them the technology and the aid required to get their country up into a first world quality of life.
Put it in perspective. To an alien, we're not a third world country; we're an ant hill. Do you go out of your way to make the local wildlife comfortable and happy? Why would they?
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Put it in perspective. To an alien, we're not a third world country; we're an ant hill. Do you go out of your way to make the local wildlife comfortable and happy? Why would they?

Why not? I try to spare spiders I find at home. And sometimes I toss them treats
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I wasn't replying to you, but in answer: no, we are not the equivalent of an ant hill. We're more like the equivalent of termites, maybe spiders. If we were ant hills, we'd need to be able to hitch rides on the alien vessels so as to spread ourselves throughout the stars.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

@chairmanpoo
And sometimes you smash them flat. (unless you're a crazy pacifist like me that would avoid that if at all possible)

Point is, if any ethics comes into play, it's far more likely to manifest as "don't screw things up" rather than "let's shower them with benevolent kindness."

Well, I wasn't replying to you, but in answer: no, we are not the equivalent of an ant hill. We're more like the equivalent of termites, maybe spiders. If we were ant hills, we'd need to be able to hitch rides on the alien vessels so as to spread ourselves throughout the stars.
Well I didn't think too much about the ant hill analogy besides "groups together and makes their home" but sure, spiders works :P

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire

So how long until we find out that these meteorites were sent back in time from Earth in the future?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@chairmanpoo
And sometimes you smash them flat. (unless you're a crazy pacifist like me that would avoid that if at all possible)

Point is, if any ethics comes into play, it's far more likely to manifest as "don't screw things up" rather than "let's shower them with benevolent kindness."

Well I didn't think too much about the ant hill analogy besides "groups together and makes their home" but sure, spiders works :P

We're the newly hatched batch of spiderlings, killing each other or trying to get out for room for a web :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's an interesting thing I remember about potential alien hostility. An old Sierra game, Alien Legacy, has you fighting against two ancient alien races. One was the progeny of a Precursor race called the H'Riak that seeded most of the galaxy, who were at war with the other race(and later, humans) presumably because they considered any life not created by them an abombination, and they were genetically and telepathically programmed to be hostile to any life that wasn't H'Riak. The other race, the Empiants, were a highly telepathic race, whose brain-waves were mutually destructive with ours. After finding a way to block that, they're more than friendly.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's an interesting thing I remember about potential alien hostility. An old Sierra game, Alien Legacy, has you fighting against two ancient alien races. One was the progeny of a Precursor race called the H'Riak that seeded most of the galaxy, who were at war with the other race(and later, humans) presumably because they considered any life not created by them an abombination, and they were genetically and telepathically programmed to be hostile to any life that wasn't H'Riak. The other race, the Empiants, were a highly telepathic race, whose brain-waves were mutually destructive with ours. After finding a way to block that, they're more than friendly.

Inb4 "Sierra isn't a prophet!"

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Liquid water.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Liquid water.
Any race capable of interstellar travel should damn well be able to combine hydrogen and oxygen.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7