Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Simple Fort Designs  (Read 9351 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Fort Designs
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 07:20:42 am »

I tried the hex idea and they look beautiful.

Will put a link to the entire fort later, but when you have 4 rooms next to each other they do look great.

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 08:27:43 am »

I use that style of room for stockpiles.  For workshops and bedrooms I dig out a radius of one hex around the stairwell and turn each bordering hex into its own room for workshops or four rooms for bedrooms. For meeting areas I just dig out radius two. My macro puts down the cells for radius-four, but I usually don't dig that much out. I am however going to try and build a tower out of green glass with that setup with an outer wall of R-4 and an inner wall bounding the actual fort proper.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Jibekn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 12:03:26 pm »

I used a modular system for my fortresses, vertical based for efficiency (its a huge improvement over horizontal forts, 150dwarves still chugging at 90-100fps on a 5x5 embark)

Stair Well, Central.
Code: [Select]
ujj
u j
uuj
then
juu
j u
jju
Alternating as deep as I need to go.

One day ill get a fort to survive long enough to find out if a stairwell waterfall would work, I plan to replace the unmined center of the stairwell with floor grates/bars and drop a waterfall all the way down the stairwell, if it works, it would be a near fortress wide happy though generator.

My habitat levels are Greek crosses, 48 rooms per level, 4 squares per room, including the door. Also each level has 8 rooms that are expandable for nobles http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Bedroom_design#Greek_Cross_design

My workshop areas are based on Midnas pillar design, http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Midna/Pillars setup offset around my central staircase, 5 Z levels deep, first z level past the initial is the plumbing level, but i dont hollow out a 3x3, i leave a solitary u/d staircase as i find you have much more room to snake magma and water through. Mostly magma to power forges though.

ddddddd
        ddddddd
        ddddddd
        dddjddd
ddddddd ddddddd
ddddddd ddddddd
ddddddd ddddddd
dddjdddd   d
ddddddd uuj ddddddd
ddddddd u j ddddddd
ddddddd ujj ddddddd
       d   ddddjddd
    ddddddd ddddddd
    ddddddd ddddddd
    ddddddd ddddddd
    dddjddd ddddddd
    ddddddd
    ddddddd
    ddddddd
Eatting halls, food storage are all based around the workshop design, farms are the only thing i 'wing' but usually end up with rows of 3x5 farms, i find 15 production squares per farm is more than enough, especially once the fertilizer comes into play, and with the smaller farm lots, i tend to have one farm per plant, and just let them lie fallow in off seasons.

I haven't yet come up with a standard for my military level, but this usually ends up being in a constructed tower overlooking my entrance.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 12:40:24 pm »

It's always better to have many small farms than a few large ones, because that way you can reduce the amount of food you want in small incriments, and also prevent tantruming dwarves from destroying your food supply.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 03:39:45 pm »

So here's what my bedrooms
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And workshops look like
With the cell template around them.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 05:10:38 pm »

You need a queen...

...to go along with the rest of your honey-sucking hive!

That doesn't look like it was designed by drunkards at all!  ;D

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 10:08:30 am »

My standard "easy/quick to designate" fortress is a 31x31 square stacked vertically and interconnected with staircases heavily. It can handle a truly massive number of dwarves engaged at parallel labors. A quickfort layout is provided below. The corner pieces are channeled to provide miasma-proof garbage (or stone) chutes as desired. A large vertical stack can also use these chutes as prisoner execution pits.

I'm on vacation next week and I'm going to experiment with circular designs like the one mentioned by Jurph on my "favorite testing embark" spot, which I know to have enough vertical space to handle such a design.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 11:42:38 am »

OK. THE most simplest fort design I can think of is to:

Dig holes in the ground. That's it.

I'll have to try my simplest fort designs I can think of.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2011, 03:24:37 am »

I feel the "hole in ground" design kinda leaves out the design in design.

No, a guy can definitely not go wrong with the good old "dig down to stone layer, build a masons workshop, and then just put 7 coffins in a 3x3 room".

It has simplicity, but it also has design.

Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 08:17:38 am »

Simple? I know simple. One floor. Six rooms. Bedroom, dining room, workshops room, animal room, party room, resources room. One dwarf.

Simple. Also, don't forget the fluffy kittens, waterfalls and exotic booze.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2011, 09:59:51 am »

I've been going for a "Square or Death" column-fort design

Column Fort

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2011, 12:29:09 pm »

This is my basic workshop level layout:

I much prefer to expand vertically than horizontally for hauling efficiency. This design also makes designating burrows very easy.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:30:44 pm by AWellTrainedFerret »
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2011, 07:27:49 pm »

My simple fort? 3x3 stair entrance, down three levels, two long halls, circle, and back to a stair down. Use a pair of bridges to block off a short route.

The actual fortress, I use a 3 wide hall. Rooms are one step away, single tile access, 3x3 for bedrooms, 3x4 for most workshops. Work shops have stairs going up and down into stock piles.

Bedrooms have a wall of separation between them, and in that space off the hall, a statue goes in. That way they look at something cool, and see the engraved walls, and are happy.

Keeps down the misery of the rest of their lives. Very simple. Nobles have 5x5's and 3x3 side rooms, with statue niches carved into the walls. Keeps 'em happy, at least until the door locks and the room floods because I don't have any bloody electrum you retard.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 02:48:07 pm »

Just some little everyday design choices. Nowadays I like to toy with simple triangular forms when it comes to my dining halls.
The one before this looked more like an arrow or a rocket, with a wider fin-like end, with a narrower hall connecting it to a oval shaped tip of the said arrow. I didn't plan it but I liked the way it turned out looking.

Here's an attempt at more oval design concerning my plebeian graveyard. Also featuring a vaguely heart shaped refuse pile.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2011, 02:55:06 pm »

No matter how much I try to organize mine and keep 'em tidy, they always seem to end up sprawling and sort of organic-looking when I hit some vein of metal that I want to mine, or a cave, and I'm too lazy to try and build matching walls to tidy it up again (or I might just use the extra space for food storage since I tend to overproduce liek whoa).
Pages: 1 2 [3]