Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PC Gamer features Dwarf Fortress  (Read 4553 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:42:34 pm by thvaz »

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
Re: PC Gamer features Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:36:36 pm »

One of the tags to the article is "Graphically murdering the staff"  What the heck?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 06:55:17 pm »

One of the tags to the article is "Graphically murdering the staff"  What the heck?
The Dwarves were named after PC Gamer staff members. It ends how you would expect.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:05:10 pm »

Toady's been on a media blitz lately.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 07:23:29 pm »

Guess he's finally ready to dedicate time to getting known.  Though at this rate, he might have to accelerate any plans on making the game more generally accessible.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:23:56 pm »

People who are aware of the deeper dangers probably don’t feel enticed to dig deeper, but the promise of finding something exotic down there probably entices newer players to try it out. There’s a geology rewrite upcoming which might shake this up a bit, but we’ll see.
Another geology rewrite? Sounds interesting. Right now, once you go beyond the surface layers, it's all the same until you hit magma.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 08:42:09 pm »

People who are aware of the deeper dangers probably don’t feel enticed to dig deeper, but the promise of finding something exotic down there probably entices newer players to try it out. There’s a geology rewrite upcoming which might shake this up a bit, but we’ll see.
Another geology rewrite? Sounds interesting. Right now, once you go beyond the surface layers, it's all the same until you hit magma.

Yeah, IIRC he's going to turn it into 3D veins and clusters, rather than the 2D ones currently.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:56:12 pm »

Yeah, IIRC he's going to turn it into 3D veins and clusters, rather than the 2D ones currently.

"Soon" can be anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 years, so don't get your hopes too high up. All the same, should be a very interesting change. A bit annoying, though, since if you want more you have to dig down; switching z-levels just to mine is going to get old quickly.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 07:59:04 am »

Well, no one is talking about "soon" in this thread, but it is scheduled for the content release after the upcoming content release (and associated bugfix releases).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:50:59 am »

Even after years of playing DF, the stories just don't get old.  (Of course, it helps when they're as well-written and amusing as this one.)
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 03:10:03 pm »

"Soon" can be anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 years, so don't get your hopes too high up. All the same, should be a very interesting change. A bit annoying, though, since if you want more you have to dig down; switching z-levels just to mine is going to get old quickly.

I once read that he plans to do some kind of "mine out entire vein" command eventually. Hopefully that would go in at the same time as 3d veins, whenever that may be.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 05:55:45 pm »

I've heard of that one. That'll just change the shape of the metal resources, not their general distribution.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.