Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The lady in the lake  (Read 1376 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The lady in the lake
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:49:34 pm »

I found a great embark that spawned an idea for my next project: a Tenochtitlan-style city build in the middle of a fresh-water lake. I'm going to build it out of smoothed Limestone Blocks with Obsidian Blocks and Chalcopyrite Blocks providing ornamentation.

The area beneath the lake contains an aquifier and the lake never feezes.
I'd like some advice on how to:
1) Dig through a lake and an aquifier without pumps
2) Build realistic-looking supports on the botton of the lake for the structure above it
3) Pump magma to the surface through an aquifier for a forge
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The lady in the lake
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 02:59:52 pm »

1 - either go crazy with bucket labors ( i > create zone on lake > w || i > create zone by hill > p > P > f). Your dwarves will use buckets to dump the water off a hill. Why not just use a pump though?

2 - when it is empty, put down a stone support (or wall) on the bottom. There should be at least one ramp or staircase on teh edge of the lake. I'd suggest a ramp, since it fits the whole "lake" idea better.

3 - a lot more complicated than a sentence or two. Basically pound a hole through the aquifer (moses effect or mountain- spear effect) ; pump up magma through magma-safe pumps, and then underneath your forge.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 05:10:30 pm »

Drain the lake into the aquifier and then punch through the aquifier with any standard breaching method you want. And then build a pumpstack as usual.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 05:18:22 pm »

Just remember, the lake will most likely act like a murky pool and refill when it rains, so don't block off your drain point until you are ready for the lake to be refilled. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"