Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Let's Play: Oregon Trail (version 1.2)

(1/19) > >>

Sappho:
Hi all, I just enjoyed Sensei's LP of the ol' Oregon Trail and since I realized my version is slightly higher than his (I've got 1.2!) and there seems to be some differences in the mechanics, I thought we could all do another one: second verse, same as the first, a little bit louder and with a little more dysentery. I'll take the first 5 names I'm given, and major decisions like profession, speed of movement, shopping list, and whatnot will be more or less by vote.

Introduction:

Select your name and profession:

When shall we set out?

And what shall we purchase from the store?

I took the shop screen shot with a banker - the amount we have to spend will depend on the profession we select. Keep in mind that in this version, rations purchased from the store will last for ages, but meat that we hunt on the trail will spoil relatively quickly. For more information you can check Sensei's LP, he's got some more details there and almost everything is the same.

The Merchant Of Menace:
watch posting also to sentence rearrangement required be may.

USEC_OFFICER:
Posting to watch every die horribly.

Also, name somebody Urist, as we are on the Bay 12 forums.

Basque:
Alright, great to see you doing this Sappho! Since it's a less complex game it hopefully won't cut too much into your time; I know working 12 hours a day can be really rough. :-\

Also, just like with Sensei what we start out with really depends on how difficult you want the game to be. Going the teacher route will make the game the hardest, but you've already said you can beat the game with a Farmer (albeit with hilarious disease-related deaths) so I think you're certainly talented enough to do a teacher run. If you do decide to do it, I'll recommend the same list of things to buy I did in Sensei's thread.

Otherwise if you want something easier/different, allow me to present:

Spoiler: Oregon Trail-Ludicrous Speed (click to show/hide)Profession: Blacksmith/Carpenter/Saddlemaker

10 Sets of Clothing: $100
3 Spare Parts (1 of each) - $30
20 Boxes Bullets - $40
1100 Pounds of food - $220
20 Oxen (Max) - $400
Spare Cash -$10

Thought this might be a fun idea because I don't think I've ever done Max anything before, nevertheless Oxen. Spare cash wound up being unimportant in Sensei's run but this gives a little for ferries or such. It works with any of the $800 professions.

Name stolen from Spaceballs. :P
For what month to leave I believe April is the best option, maybe May if you do something like above and travel quickly. Otherwise again it depends on how difficult you want the game to be-embarking in August is hard mode.

I'll leave the naming to everyone else. (But I do support USEC_OFFICER's idea of naming someone Urist XD )

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck with it Sappho! ^^

varnish:
Saddle-maker! That's a new one to me. I'd say go for that, or for teacher. Special advantages? Bah!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version