Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: True or False: Being Wrong is the best way to be right  (Read 2386 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
True or False: Being Wrong is the best way to be right
« on: August 09, 2011, 08:09:43 pm »

I am just wondering your oppinion.

Often what I found is that the best way to get the most amount of information from people who know the most about a subject is to say a statement so incorrect and horrible that the uninformed people stay out of it but the people who actually know what they are talking about become bound by some universal law of knowledge to correct you.

What do you think?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: True or False: Being Wrong is the best way to be right
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:10:30 pm »

What does this thread serve purpose to?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:12:14 pm »

Winning arguments by saying wildly outrageous things.  Works every time, lies are your friend.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 08:15:47 pm »

I disagree. Knowledgeable people might decide to stqy away to avoid an argument, or just because they dont feel like bothering in correcting yiu....
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:40:05 pm »

Better to realize you're wrong rather than think you're right and look like an idiot, I guess.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:41:40 pm »

Actually mostly this comes to mind because of my Brother who likes to argue with me (well more accurately he HATES to argue with me but can't let it go)

Unfortunately he treats me like a moron so often I often just present to be stupid just to speed through the conversation... which oddly enough doesn't work very often and just annoys me brother to act in the manner he treats me as.

Better to realize you're wrong rather than think you're right and look like an idiot, I guess

The exact topic is saying something ENTIRELY wrong so you get someone to answer a question you may have for you.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 08:44:08 pm »

You mean like Socratic Irony?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:33:36 pm »

I'd imagine you'd at least get a huge response from highly opinionated people, not sure if that means you'd get the best answer, though.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 09:40:40 pm »

What do you think?
I think you're absolutely wrong. For one the pathways of truthtelling on the brain are so fixed and set in place that they wouldn't budge even if you actually opened your head up and used a scalpel on those beautiful highways of truth.

Furthermore, this brain truth comes from reality itself. So whenever you say something, truthfully or not, it's true, so you're basically wrong. You cannot say wrong things to get out true things for everything is true, except for you who is wrong to think that wrong things turn out to be true things, which you cannot do because there's no wrong and by the fact you're wrong, you're true.

Plus there was a famous research in the middle 60s by Dr. Goldberd Phyllip, PhD about truth and he found out truth was true no matter how wrong you made it sound. So you can't really avoid the truthness of truth even if you're trying to make a point or getting people to budge.

Even Jesus on Matheus 20:11 said:

"You cannot lie for truth comes out to you [with a flaming axe]."

And thus I rest my case, you're wrong.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 09:45:46 pm »

What do you think?
I think you're absolutely wrong. For one the pathways of truthtelling on the brain are so fixed and set in place that they wouldn't budge even if you actually opened your head up and used a scalpel on those beautiful highways of truth.

Furthermore, this brain truth comes from reality itself. So whenever you say something, truthfully or not, it's true, so you're basically wrong. You cannot say wrong things to get out true things for everything is true, except for you who is wrong to think that wrong things turn out to be true things, which you cannot do because there's no wrong and by the fact you're wrong, you're true.

Plus there was a famous research in the middle 60s by Dr. Goldberd Phyllip, PhD about truth and he found out truth was true no matter how wrong you made it sound. So you can't really avoid the truthness of truth even if you're trying to make a point or getting people to budge.

Even Jesus on Matheus 20:11 said:

"You cannot lie for truth comes out to you [with a flaming axe]."

And thus I rest my case, you're wrong.

No, that's a wrongful quote. The actual quote from Matt20:11 is "And when they received it, they grumbled against the landowner,"
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 01:38:32 am »

The best way to get knowledge from someone is to honestly ask.

"Hey man, you don't manage to lock up AKO whenever you try to log in. What the hell am I doing wrong?"
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 01:50:37 am »

I do have to say, Strife, you're one of my favourite people to find have run into a thread I'm watching :)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 02:41:40 am »

What I have found is rather similar to this.

In my experience, the best way to behave is to remain open-minded. Consider and value what other people have to say, and be ready to change your views based on what the other person says. This occurs rather rarely, in practice. When discussing an issue, most people have already made up their mind beforehand, and enter with an attitude of "I know what's going on, I'll just explain it", and are completely closed to the concept that they may be wrong. Realise that, whatever you currently know/believe, your view has a very significant chance of being wrong. Enter each discussion with an attitude of "Neither of us know anything for certain, but I hope I can learn something from this person".

If you can find a couple of people who enter discussions with attitudes like this, then you can have some amazing experiences, and you will all be the better for it.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 03:45:03 am »

I agree that open-mindedness is a good thing, but I think that it can get too far pretty easily. I'm an extreme doormat a surprising number of times, and it tends to stifle the conversation, unless the person in question is particularly fond of lecturing.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 03:54:33 am »

This isn't exactly 'winning' an argument in a traditional sense, but I have found it to be a spectacular way to mine for information. The best bit is that if you say something incredibly wrong, and the person your talking to knows it is wrong but can not explain what is right, they will try to direct you to somebody who can, thus making this an effective method to not only find information, but also an information source.

Lies are a beautiful thing.
Pages: [1] 2