Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Explaining Anonymous  (Read 2376 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Explaining Anonymous
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:44:31 pm »

I ran across this video today. I've always liked Extra Credits, and I think James does an excellent job explaining precisely what Anonymous stands for. Personally, I don't care what you think of Anonymous - If you feel like they're nothing but a bunch of bored teenagers or dissatisfied forty-year-olds, then go ahead and think that. It's not going to hurt me if you decide Anonymous is a waste, etc., etc., but first, please understand Anonymous' ideals - and not the old Anonymous, the 4chan anarchist Anonymous, but the Anonymous that's become a way for people to express their political views with less risk.

So, first off, watch the video. Discuss it - cordially. I won't defend or attack it, or what you think about it, but as soon as someone attacks me or anyone else, I'm locking this thread.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Explaining Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 01:50:44 pm »

I once met someone who has been involved in the Egyptian revolution, and she told me that they don't trust of governments, but took anonymous' action as a token of support from the people of developed countries.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:21:53 pm »

It also isn't all that much safer. They are getting rounded up by the dozens or hundreds right now, mostly because they caught the attention of the corporations.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:11:03 pm »

It also isn't all that much safer. They are getting rounded up by the dozens or hundreds right now, mostly because they caught the attention of the corporations.

You're thinking of LulzSec.  LulzSec is a team of people who declare themselves Anti-Security, doing things such as holding Skyrim's beta player's credit cards hostage unless a top hat is in the game, taking credit for PSN harassment, poking away at the CIA's website (though the intensity of the attacks vary from source to source) and being douches in general.  Anonymous's twitter feed, as ironic as it is for anyone to claim to speak for the entire (un)organization, says that they do not work with LulzSec.  Lulzsec twitter here, though its use has stopped for now.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:02:04 pm »

Anonymous is a strange thing. People treat it like a material entity, an organization, when all it is is an idea. It's generally used to describe the people who participate in the *chans, nameless, faceless drones buzzing away in the colony of the insane, but I've heard the term used by many others as a way to keep themselves 'anonymous' while making themselves sound like they're part of the organization mythos that the name Anonymous implies.
Nothing important here, move along.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:14:31 pm »

~total lack of content~

Ahahahahahahaha, you're a funny troll. Seriously, of all the things you could use to troll, you're using the Encyclopedia Dramatica definition of "moralfag"?

Am I becoming more inured to troll tactics, or are trolls just getting to be of lower quality? I mean, really? Of ALL the things you could call me, you're calling me a moralfag. You're talking about a guy who has a fucking MLP:FiM avatar.

Please, if you're gonna troll, at least try.

Jesus...what a weak troll.

Aside: Yeah, yeah, I know, don't feed the trolls. But seriously, that was just such a half-assed attempt, I couldn't help but respond.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:18:59 pm by dragonshardz »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:33:08 pm »

Funny how the trolls win no matter what you do or don't do.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 12:02:36 am »

You're talking about a guy who has a fucking MLP:FiM avatar.
You being MLPfag is just another proof that article I've linked is correct. Don't worry, in a year or two you will understand true ways of Anonymous and would laugh at your current self.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:08:52 am »

You're talking about a guy who has a fucking MLP:FiM avatar.
OLOLOLOLOL I'M A BITTER PERSON AND IMMA TROLL YOU OLOLOLOLOL

FTFY

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 12:12:05 am »

You being MLPfag is just another proof that article I've linked is correct. Don't worry, in a year or two you will understand true ways of Anonymous and would laugh at your current self.
>Thinks anonymous has a common mindset that people take to, rather than just being a term to describe human nature on the internet when consequences are removed from actions.
lolololol

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 12:13:05 am »

Also, I'd like to know how old this guy thinks I am.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 12:14:34 am »

I'm guessing over 9000 trolololol amidoinitrite?

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 12:19:18 am »

urdoinitwrong