Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Trailer?  (Read 8871 times)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Trailer?
« on: August 11, 2011, 04:58:21 am »

After having seen a whole bunch of YogTrailers on Youtube, I wondered whether there is already one for Dwarf Fortress. Search turned up nothing on Youtube and Bay12, so it seems there isn't.

Is anyone else pumped for making a trailer to help toady earn some more money and spread the magma awesome of Dwarf Fortress to the world?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Trailer?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:03:38 am »

One showcasing all the epic features would be good, but you've got to make sure it shows the game as it is. But explain it's hard to learn but there are tutorials, and once you've learnt it, it seems easy. Oh, and it's free, that'll attract people.

But I can imagine it now, it'd be awesome, going on about how you can build your fortress huge, how you fight off huge Goblin sieges but your best warrior loses an arm and becomes useless... how the king arrives and constantly demands nothing but adamantine socks... and then the end could show hundreds of different endings of forts. Sort of, "Remeber, losing is fun" with footage of magma floods / HFS / water floods / everyone starving / berserk dwarves / goblins breaking in / dragon in the dining room etc. etc.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:19:40 am »

Yea, well, it would be difficult to show all that and have the people watching it understand what it all means. Possibly explain a few symbols to them and slow it down to like 10 FPS. Well, if the game footage is recorded with FRAPS, it would be down to 10 FPS anyway :D

We would have to show different screens as well:

"Choose some unlucky chaps for military service!"

"Equip them with the best you have!" (Guy in the video is equipping the migrants he just drafted with copper :D )

"And then..."

"Send them against the hordes of evil!"

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 07:02:48 am »

Yes, but you'll show it all while talking, so they'll see a load of :D chargin at g and be told The Brave Militia charge at the goblins! And are then slaughtered! Like usual.  :P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:23:52 am »

I think the best way to do this is to show the features as they are in ascii but have a slightly faded illustrated image of whats going on on the screen

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:24:45 am »

I think the best way to do this is to show the features as they are in ascii but have a slightly faded illustrated image of whats going on on the screen
I like this idea a lot, sounds nice!

I guess this whole thing should be a community effort, especially since I'm not a native English speaker, so it would most likely sound terrible, but I would be happy to record gameplay footage for it.

What we still need:
- an Illustrator (if we do that whole illustrations thing)
- someone who knows about cutting videos in a nice cinematic way
- someone to dub the whole thing (if we want to include speech)

Applications now open :D

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 08:34:28 am »

I wanted to make a mock up of the Skyrim teaser using DF graphics sometime ago (as DF adventure mode one day will be what the Elder Scrolls series always dream to be) , but I had neither the time or talent to do so.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:19:11 am »

If it wouldn't infringe copyrights one could just take nearly every Civilization trailer ever made and keep the music and speech and only replace the visuals with dwarf fortress footage. ;)

I am looking forward to your efforts anyway hoping that there will be a mindblowing df trailer once. :D

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:14:06 am »

Should deffo be case of spending hundreds of thousands on cinematic CG trailer, depicting a single dwarf fighting hordes of elves & goblins, while guzzling gallons of booze, butchering lions and end it with him standing in HFS, glowing eyes in the dark.

Then lol at all the people who rage on the forum :D
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Calasmeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 10:41:30 am »

I like this idea a lot, sounds nice!

I guess this whole thing should be a community effort, especially since I'm not a native English speaker, so it would most likely sound terrible, but I would be happy to record gameplay footage for it.

What we still need:
- an Illustrator (if we do that whole illustrations thing)
- someone who knows about cutting videos in a nice cinematic way
- someone to dub the whole thing (if we want to include speech)

Applications now open :D
I could dub it. I have a nice $150 microphone as well. I have DF-related material that I have voiced over on my YT channel. Here's a playlist of the stuff I've recorded: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL57C3E6F6FA52B85B

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:44:44 am »

I'd happily do some organisation/script writing? XD

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:09:46 am »

I could dub it. I have a nice $150 microphone as well. I have DF-related material that I have voiced over on my YT channel. Here's a playlist of the stuff I've recorded: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL57C3E6F6FA52B85B
I'd happily do some organisation/script writing? XD

Both of you are welcome!

EmperorJon, how much experience do you have with scriptwriting? If it isn't much, I can probably help out there. (I don't know anything about it either, but I often have loads of ideas.)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 11:11:35 am »

Er, I also don't have anything official. I mean, I've got basic experience though, and ideas, and I'm sometimes quite humourous people tell me. But we should all work together and make a new YT account and channel for it, something like DFRocks! or DorfPromote or... something. ;)

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 11:17:27 am »

...YogTrailers...
I remember Simon mentioning DF a few times on the yogcast. Maybe you can get him to lend his dwarfy voice to your cause or something! :D

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 11:41:31 am »

Anyone who's got steam, please feel free to add me. (Same name)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5