Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Trailer?  (Read 8872 times)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Trailer?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 12:35:27 pm »

...YogTrailers...
I remember Simon mentioning DF a few times on the yogcast. Maybe you can get him to lend his dwarfy voice to your cause or something! :D

...our cause! Let's do this all together :)

Well, we need to have a text for it scripted so we can decide who speaks it best.

Does somebody have any ideas for the layout? If you do, please post them, I'm currently preparing some schematics for my ideas to post them :)

Btw: MrQuantumFlux on Steam is a me :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:39:32 pm by EvilTwin »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 12:51:17 pm »

Thought it was you. XD

Yes well, I'll type out some ideas... I agree with the Our Cause thing, which is why I was suggesting we make a joint YT channel, so we can make MORE videos and such later and share the team effort and praise.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 12:55:44 pm »

I can help if you need a second dubber. No good at cutting or illustrating, though. If you give me a few days I can probably post a video of my magma cannon, too (almost got it completed).
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 12:56:44 pm »

Well before we make a Youtube channel, we def. need something to upload there, so that's for later.

I think the best way to do this is to show the features as they are in ascii but have a slightly faded illustrated image of whats going on on the screen
I quickly put this together to show how I understood this suggestion:

Warning, might cause eyebleeding due to my crude drawing skills.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:05:22 pm by EvilTwin »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 12:58:13 pm »

Warning, might cause eyebleeding due to my crude drawing skills broken link.

EDIT: Hehe...

[ img]url[/img] IIRC.

EDIT2:

, for example. ;)

EDIT3: Or not... wut the...

http://imgur.com/VpP84 <- this anyway. Probably too big for the forum to handle?

EDIT4: I will be talking to the creator of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqPG8AHiiPQ
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:05:03 pm by EmperorJon »
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 01:08:48 pm »

Fixed it now, as it seems i copypasted the wrong URL.

Perhaps the guy who does the music for DF talk could help out as well. (I think his name was Ollieh, though not sure about the spelling.)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 01:10:32 pm »

Ah yes. I was also considering the guy who does those Noise things on YT, did one for Bronzemurder and Boatmurdered?

Ok, I'll keep a lsit and see if I can contact them...

EDIT: Says he was last active on the forums over a year ago... do they just use one track all the time or is he still around?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:12:41 pm by EmperorJon »

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 01:16:54 pm »

Ok, cool!

Um, should we better do it in the style of telling a story ("But one day, the dwarves dug to deep... From that day onward, no one ever entered the ruins, until some bearded wizard fell off a ledge.") or in the style of "Dig deeper and deeper!" "See if you can cope with the consequences!" and so on?

Depending on that decision we can then lay the base for our script.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 01:23:54 pm »

I was thinking more the second. It doesn't have to be the same for we show, as long was we narrate what's going on.

Coming to think of it, the same fort would provide consistency.

So, you know,

"Generate a persistent, huge fantasy world with geography, history, and much much more!"
"Choose a place to found the next outpost of Dwarven strenght!"
"Customize your starting items and Dwarves!"
"Get your Dwarves underground, it's safer down there!"

etc, etc. with sped up gameplay and such. And, you know "Make sure there's plenty of booze!" and "Don't forget to hold a lot of parties!" and "OH SHIT, CARP!".

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 02:16:32 pm »

Sort of script I had in mind, it's a start:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 02:38:44 pm »

Well, if you need someone to cut together the video with something - anything - other than Windows Movie Maker, I'm your guy.

I'm not so sure about the animation cutaway thing, though. Perhaps only show a small part of the screen and use tilesets and graphics packs for some of the shots?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 02:41:17 pm »

Hmmm, I still think consistency would be the best idea... maybe showing images in between footage as opposed to faded on the side, but I'd suggest no texture packs, just because it makes people think that's the game. We want to show what the game ACTUALLY looks like...  8)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 02:53:43 pm »

Well, if you need someone to cut together the video with something - anything - other than Windows Movie Maker, I'm your guy.

That would be awesome, I don't know how to use any other video cutting software. And I'm only Dabbling in Movie Maker as well :D

Perhaps only show a small part of the screen and use tilesets and graphics packs for some of the shots?

Zooming in is probably a good idea, yeah. But I agree with EmperorJon about the consistency, we should def. try and keep it all original graphics. (my opinion)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 03:02:18 pm »

What do you think about the script style?

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 05:21:51 pm »

(Just posting a suggestion, 'fraid I can't help out with this other than that)

Use the basic ASCII for the trailer, but you should dedicate at least one video/part of video to explaining and showcasing tilesets and graphic sets. That *is* part of the game after all, and many people would prefer playing with one. (Whether it be Mayday-style mega-graphics or simply a different typeface.)

On the script, the lines are too short, you need longer sentences etc. Don't forget that a person looking at what's on the screen will just see a mass of letters and numbers and suchlike, so someone talking is absolutely vital to not only explain what's going on but to keep the viewer interestd.

Also, show some late-game big forts as well. Smoothed walls, floors, dining halls etc. can actually be a lot easier for a person to get their head round (due to their clear boundaries) then when they look at the dwarves+wagon at the very start. Also, avoid engravings at all costs. They're really confusing to look at. (especially if you have the little pictures option turned on)

With regards to layout, I think perhaps have it be DF that takes up the entire space on the screen, but also somewhere show a speed counter (Something to the effect of 1x, 2x, 0.5x in one corner) to indicate when you change speeds. Also have the person speaking at that time explain that 'alright, we're going to speed time up now - see the number in the corner go up - while we wait for our dwarves to scurry around and finish doing <task just set>'. Then, if possible, have it pause every now and again and have the screen fade/transition some other way to a picture of what's happening. Illustrations like that can really help someone understand what's going on, and get into it more. (Having several for different lose conditions would be awesome, at the end of the trailer.)

Due to the scope of DF you'll probably want to create several trailers focusing on different things. (but remember to have some more 'boring' and some more 'exciting' stuff in each. Perhaps each one could end in a different lose condition.) But remember this isn't a tutorial, this is a trailer. So you'd want to leave out some of how it works, 'press c' etc. Similarly, when filming make sure the screen is entirely showing what's happening - having part of it showing the controls/minimap isn't necessary.

Oh, and if you can get a few different people interested in the job, it might be worth holding a poll on these forums for who would be best for the speaking part - because not everyone can speak clearly / in an accent people understand / etc.

Just my 2 dorfbucks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5