Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Trailer?  (Read 8870 times)

Noise_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Trailer?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 06:12:28 pm »

EmperorJon has asked me if I want to do music for this project, and nothing would please me more (except maybe mouse support in DF)!

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 08:14:21 pm »

That is awesome! We don't have a generally accepted basic script, so no basis to found a music score on (yet).

You are welcome though to help getting there, it is all a community effort :)

As for what Lord Urist said, I don't think we should explain all too much, the captions should be able to keep it all streamlined. I agree on the whole thing about making trailers for tile-/graphicsets as well, but it should be separate ones, so people are not getting confused about how the game really looks like.
As strange as it may sound :P , but there are (still) many people out there who don't know that a game can not only have one look to it but multiple ones, and we should not confuse people to much in a trailer I guess.
So I vote for making another trailer devoted to graphicsets and the likes, or, basically, ways to make the game easier to look at (like Stonesense and such)
I like that script, still needs some tweaking here and there, but nice one :)

>> Dig deeper yet... and disturb a force beyond all reckoning...

That line actually creeped me kinda, good work

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 02:42:51 am »

@Lord Urist

Some good ideas, I think including a bit at the end maybe asying, ASCII hurts your eyes? Use a tileset! With some of the popular ones...

The idea (mine, at least, not sure if others agree) was for a relatively short one. We don't want to show the entire fort in 2x speed, because that'll still be hours, we want to cut.

And if you say, the militia are attacking the goblins! And then have to explain that the militia are those smiley faces running there and the goblins are those gs then WHY they're attacking, then what weapons they have, then why that means the militia get owned, then... yeah, it's going to turn in to a tutorial.

Maybe at the beginning somewhere show that you can see some trees and grass and dwarves, and at points through it sort of highlight an object, maybe using some funky video editing software of some sort, and show what it is on screen, we'd help clear that up.

I'd also suggest we do a Fortress Mode trailer, and Adventure Mode trailer, and maybe even a Legends Mode trailer, so people can learn about that too, then we can do trailers for major updates and host peoples videos to a large audience and all worship Toady One together?  ;D

@Noise_

I'd suggest we make a video, and provide it to you. You then make music to it, no matter how long it'll take, and then when it's done we put it up. :)

I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Noise_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 03:30:42 am »

Sounds good to me

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 06:03:00 am »

Just here to say that I most likely won't be there for the next few days, as I'm moving to another town.
There's lots to do, and I most likely won't have an internet connection. Sorry 'bout that

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 06:21:22 am »

Turns out in a few days I'll be gone for the best part of 3 weeks... maybe we should call it off for a month? XD
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 10:29:01 am »

I'd love to see a Blizzard-esque epic cinematic trailer!

--------------------

"They sent us away"

*Shot of a short, silhouetted figure, standing on a hill overlooking a fortress mouth as the surrounding plains burn*

"They said would be a new beginning"

*Sounds of distant screaming, as the camera fades in panning across a hallway littered with bodies*

"They told us of riches"

*Sound of a person being killed while the image of a body slumped against a wall fades in*

"Fame"

*Shot of a room full of toppled statues and the sound of things being smashed*

"Glory"

*A barracks, full of blood and armour*

*Cut back to the silhouette as, in the distance, the fortress doors are heaved open and two figures begin to run at an impossible speed towards the character, who draws his sword*

"They lied."

*BOM BOM BOOMMMMMM*

DWARF FORTRESS. PEGI 35+
[Signature]

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 03:09:53 pm »

*Cut back to the silhouette as, in the distance, the fortress doors are heaved open and two figures begin to run at an impossible speed towards the character, who draws his battleaxe*

Fixed that for you.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 03:18:19 pm »

*Cut back to the silhouette as, in the distance, the fortress doors are heaved open and two figures begin to run at an impossible speed towards the character, who draws his battleaxe*

Fixed that for you.

Ah yes. Sorry.

*Cut back to the silhouette as, in the distance, the fortress doors are heaved open and two figures begin to run at an impossible speed towards the character, who draws his battleaxe. On the item is an image of cheese in cat leather.*
[Signature]

Jalapeņo Cheesepuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 10:15:50 pm »

I think this would be very cool, but only if it was worked on by dedicated dorfs (bay12forums) and done so until perfection.

Intro ideas:

IMHO it would be cool if the trailer started out as a jumble of letters, numbers, and other symbols. The symbols slowly coalesce into a "percievable" (ASCII) dwarf fortress game map. Blue would bleed down a path of "~"s to create a running stream. Greens and other colors would grow from the completed stream to color the trees, ground, boulders, and rest of map. A dwarf symbol then moves near the stream from off the map, and a carp blinks in and out of the visible stream. The dwarf reachs the stream, the carp moves near the dwarf, and the dwarf staggers away leaving a trail of blood. The dwarf then gets within sight of an aesthetically pleasing fortress, collapses, and dies. Two dwarfs emerge from the fortress and retrieve his body. Fade to black.

Another idea:
 There is some complex ASCII action going on in the screen, perhaps a goblin invasion (with ballistas mowing both dorf and gobbo down). Through some effect or other, the same scene is represented through a player's eyes/mind:  { [screen] -> cackling bay12'er -> *high resolution battle footage* }

I think something such as this would be essential to show that DF is visualized through your brain perhaps moreso than your eyes.

At some part in the trailer, it would definately be good to mention the DF motto. Maybe at some epic/tense part, near the end, have the screen fade black then say "Remember..." followed by some sadistically-pleasing footage (dwarf population dying from FB disease or famine, dwarf army getting decimated by bronze collosus, !!kittens!! drowning in magma, etc) which is followed by "Losing..." fade "Is FUN!".

I would like to contribute, time allowing. Here are my specs:

Dabbling Video-editor
Dabbling Sound-editor

Competent Artist (less so with computer graphic programs)
Talented Layout Designer
Not Script-writer

Basically I could contribute to the design/layout discussions (if any) and perhaps do some graphics.
"The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr. Brain has long since departed"

-Edmund Blackadder

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 11:26:12 pm »

Here's an idea, if you have no final script yet: make it something like a really serious, although generic, game trailer:
You've heard of a game... where you're granted the ability to hold up a stable, powerful civilization with the press of a few buttons... with incredible realism to emulate your everyday lives, from common appliances to modern warfare...
...and then descend into increasingly dwarfy things like kitten butchery, pressurized elf cannons and infant drops into the dining hall:
This is NOT that game.
Finally, conclude with a bunch of horrendous maulings set to the end of the 1812 Overture ;D (with depictions on the side, of course, since no one has any idea what's going on at first)
Losing. Is. !!FUN!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:28:50 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Eiren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2011, 01:09:36 pm »

I see that Noise has already agreed to do the soundtrack, so all I can do is offer to assist him should he need.

www.eiren.net

I'm capable of more than Electronica if you would like to go another route. The trailer could possibly act as a crescendo, starting with light music, the building of a fortress, gradual speed up with music intensifying to a climax of Fun where I remix Noise's track into a more aggressive arrangement.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2011, 03:48:19 pm »

I'm imagining a sequence with a shot from stonesense, do a 45 degree rotation to line things up, then fade to a graphics set, then fade that to a tileset, and then have the characters bleed down into a matrix spoof...

IMO, a battle with horrendous maulings is fairly obvious when you see the little smiley move away from some gs until being stopped by a solid block and then when the group of gs reach it, everything turns red with little white somethings blinking off in different directions.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 06:31:03 pm »

Please make it tongue-in-cheek...

Reading off a list of game features will interest no-one.
[Signature]

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2011, 11:48:33 pm »

Please make it tongue-in-cheek...

Reading off a list of game features will interest no-one.
I'd agree with this. DF is often humorous, in a horrible sort of way, and one wouldn't want to keep the trailer entirely serious.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5