Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Trailer?  (Read 8869 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Trailer?
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:58 am »

EmperorJon uses the necromancy interaction!

Ok, I think we should showcase the new features in a trailer. Once and for all.
We need someone to write a script, maybe some voices, a recorder, possibly some artists, and most importantly a video editer.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 02:35:40 pm »

one of the yogscast people did played "towns" a few days ago. It is a rip off of this, except it costs money, 3d, and humans.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 04:05:10 pm »

I'm aware of Towns, but I fail to see what it really has to do with the subject. (Also, can't stand Yogscast.)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 05:18:27 pm »

Lol@another guy thinking towns is a ripoff of DF.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 05:30:37 pm »

What? DF is devolving into fanboy obsession mode?

Alas, it was too good to last :P

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2012, 09:01:35 pm »

Lol@another guy thinking towns is a ripoff of DF.

I think it looks very similar, but by now it seems that 'build a settlement' is an entire genre rather than a series of individual rip-offs (just like how Minecraft is now a genre too).
[Signature]

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2012, 10:25:44 pm »

Most of the time, peoples response to DF is "Bad graphics ewwww", it would be really hard to make a trailer that makes a game like this, with no graphical integrity whatsoever and no action other than a line of text saying "you stab the swordsman in the chest, bruising the heart!", look fun to people who have never played it or heard of it before. It would also be hard to make a trailer because there is nothing to show that will make people exited to play it. I personally found DF from a fewlondon, ontario youtubers mentioning it and looked it up. I had put off playing it because I thought the graphics were confusing, then one day I decided "what the hell". It was the best day of my life
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:37:27 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2012, 12:01:44 am »

I have an idea for an ad showcasing the combat of DF.

"This is your zombie game."

*insert video of Call of Duty Nazi Zombies gameplay*

"This is Dwarf Fortress zombie survival. Yes, it does look boring. Take a look at the combat reports though..."

*shot of combat reports*

"Still too boring for you? Here's a visual aid to help..."

*insert epic hand-drawn battle scenes depicting what the battles would look like visually in a pane-by-pane sequence.*

"This is Dwarf Fortress combat. Does YOUR game have beheading, dismembering, blood loss, bone breakage, and other brutal atrocities? No, it doesn't. Play Dwarf Fortress."

We should also include some quotes from the forum, such as "OH GOD THE WHINE IS EXPLODING", or "use more magma."

We should also honor Necro through the use of the phrase:

MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:03:58 am by Sting_Auer »
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]