Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Toady, we have a problem. (error log has not so good stu  (Read 722 times)

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toady, we have a problem. (error log has not so good stu
« on: July 25, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

Well I modded the elves and humans so they can be tamed, found wandering around and be used as defences. And when I load my new world is gets stuck and when I look in errorlog.txt it says "unknown somethingsomething Object and Prefstring"
So I fixed it and now it reads "Missing Creature Definition : Pig" but the pig raw is still there. Help!  :confused: I am such a bad modder  :confused:

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Toady, we have a problem. (error log has not so good stu
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »

Saying that your modded game is bugged because you screwed up is like going into the tileset .bmps and turning all the white into pink and saying that you can't see shit-all.
Of course you can't see a damn thing, and of course your game is crashing because it can't find the creature. YOU MODIFIED THE FILES!!!

[ July 25, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

PTTG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.2funnyguys.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

Bad news: this games still in alpha.
Good news: It's free.

Probably just a good idea to get a fresh copy and, if you're modding, don't get too attached to your fortressi. that's general advice. For your particular problem, INT (I'm not Toady), but it sounds like you might have accidentally moved raws you where not intending to, or perhaps some other small mistake. you might be able to save your fortress though, but it might not work even if you remod the new copy for capturable humans. Which I gotta admit, sounds cool.

A HREF="http://www.2funnyguys.com">www.2funnyguys.com

,".,''.,,''..,'',.'',,.''
.'',G''(Im in ur fotrez)
''.,.,(steln ur babyz:0)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »

Modding is not officially supported yet.  Toady says things related to it are going to change so much in the long term that it's just not worth his time to try and fix it now; when things settle down there will be some sort of guide for modding so you'll know how to not shoot yourself in the foot.  At least, I think that's what he said...  it was like a year ago.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »

Yeah, I'll answer questions for people, but modding's not yet officially supported in the sense that you're not going to get meaningful error messages or documentation, and it would be best to keep mod problems out of the bug reports forum.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 08:10:00 am »

Maybe I should put them in the creatures_pets or something.txt

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 01:20:00 pm »

My reccomendation is to start fresh and make a new creature file that has copies of the human and elf creatures, change the tags, and mod those only. That way if something messes up you have the problem isolated.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »

Also good to delete files in data/objects before you create a new world if you've deleted raw files it has processed previously, though that won't clean up a missing definition unless one of the old processed files you don't want anymore refers to it.  The txt to data conversion really needs to be handled better.  I think some of those lingering files are from I thought people might occasionally want to send processed files around (so they could process them and then tell players to put them in the data/objects folder), but the whole management system could be overhauled at some point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 10:12:00 pm »

Thanks all!