Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Grim Dawn  (Read 14941 times)

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Dawn
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 10:16:06 pm »

The game's discounted right now! What a delightful and dark game. Lost my occultist to an eldritch stone golem of some kind.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 06:56:54 am »

I do like the look of the game, and the classes seem quite interesting, plus I really enjoyed the previous game Titan Quest.

However, I have decided to hold off on buying the game until it is fully completed. My reasoning is new items and sets will be included as new chapters are added, also I tend to play ARPGs rather focused-ly so I don't want to have to stop before the end and wait a few months before continuing. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 09:34:58 am »

I recently found out that I kickstarted this game.  Booted it up and then stopped after the 1st level up cause I don't know anything other then the ingame descriptions on each of the classes.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 11:27:08 am »

So I picked this up on sale last week. For those interested, the final content patch with the last half of the last act (and, I think?) the other two difficulties is coming out later on this month. So the game is basically content-complete.

I've played 3 characters so far, and aside from the obligatory "I have no idea what I'm doing" first character it's been a lot of fun. I'm pleasantly surprised at the depth and flexibility of character building between the  focused, linear skill trees, item enchantments that grant skills, gear that grants skills, and the devotion system that... also grants skills.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

GP Trixie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2015, 11:59:32 am »

I played a few characters to the end of current content, and I found the game pretty good. It's still the old basic hack & slash formula, but I think it has pretty interesting mechanics. Spell choices matter, there is very big pool of interesting bonus on equipement, and the world is quite big and open in some areas. I'm still findind new side dungeons with my 3rd char.  The game is a bit more slow paced than most others hack & slash so the focus is a little more on builds and less on fast reflexes than in other games.

Balances seems ok but I had trouble with melee characters. I did a summoner with the hound and timber wolf and it was a complete stomp the whole game, I basicly ran in circles while the pets killed everything. The most powerful char I have is a pure arcanist with the meteor skill. It kills about every non-boss in one use in a pretty good area, the only downside is the 3 sec cooldown.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2015, 12:15:12 pm »

I'm currently doing a dual-wield poison witch hunter (nightblade + occultist) and it's taking a little finesse to get used to, but she's more or less able to cut down packs and packs of trash with a little help from Dreeg's poison eye nova.

The real beast was my Stormcaller (shaman + arcanist) that just cast double-boosted hurricanes into the next room and let my storm totems clean up the rest. Got to act 4 and set him aside until the complete content patch is out.

Point of interest, the character I completely ruined was a Pyromancer (occult + demolition) that I wanted to use rifles on. Granted, I put points into spirit like an idiot, but I think rifles are a little... eh? right now. Hard to tell, first character so all the gear was sub-par and I put my stat points in every wrong place possible. I may have to try again sometime.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

GP Trixie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 12:43:48 pm »

Yeah I agree that guns seem underwhelming, the demolition tree has actually only 1 skill that use weapon damage, 2 if you count the aura. The rest of the tree is mostly caster stuff, even if it's explosive themed. And as combat is not that fast, I found that the range avantage is not that great. My arcanist survivability comes from killing stuff instantly and the 3 sec invulnerability shield, not really from trying to dodge stuff.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 12:57:07 am »

Surprised that this topic hasn't been more active. Anyone still playing?

I was a Kickstarter backer and waited for Build 29 (content complete) before started playing it. My first character is a Sorceress (Arcanist + Demolitionist) with AAR and Canister Bomb as primary skills. Still at level 16 now, but the game has been fun. It's as if they took all the good aspects of Diablo 2 and removed the inconvenience logistic aspects (e.g. identify scrolls, town portal scrolls, arrows). I really love the dark and gory art style.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2016, 02:40:40 am »

I've been playing it quite a lot - I also waited for Build 29 and have been playing more or less non stop since then.  I started out with a pet based Conjurer (Occultist + Shaman) which I completed Normal (Veteran) difficulty with yesterday, around level 52 or so. 

My secondary character is a level 34 Warlock (Arcanist + Occultist) focusing on AAR with the chaos damage modifier to leverage the +chaos damage buff in the Occultist tree.  I threw on the Elemental Storm devotion proc from Rhowan's Crown to add some area damage, which is working out pretty nicely.

My only problem is the game encourages my tendency to make alts a little too much - the many build/class possibilities (and devotions, especially the procs) along with the tendency when playing one character to find a great item for e.g. a vitality based life drain character... I should make a vitality based life drain character!  So I now have about 14 other characters ranging from level 10 to 25.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2016, 05:44:39 am »

My only problem is the game encourages my tendency to make alts a little too much.

This is especially true as you can't reset Mastery levels and attributes (physique, cunning, spirit).

How's the Conjurer so far? I read about the Pokemon master build in the forum but some people have mentioned it's not viable at Ultimate difficulty.

I've always favoured ranged and/or spellcasting classes in ARPGs. This is the build I'm working on. Watched it on YouTube and man, that beam (AAR) just seems fun!
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30239

I've got some Epic (blue) items. Do their stats scale with player character?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2016, 06:14:19 am »

How's the Conjurer so far? I read about the Pokemon master build in the forum but some people have mentioned it's not viable at Ultimate difficulty.

As a pet build, it's been working pretty well on Normal/Veteran difficulty.  The pets carve up enemies pretty effectively while I support with Curse of Frailty and Wendigo Totem.  Devotion procs work quite nicely on pets too - I have the Eye proc on the Hellhound and with his fairly high attack speed he's often got 4-5 eyes floating around him during combat.  Pets don't hold aggro at all though despite them having skills with taunt elements; if I do *anything* that affects an enemy, nearly all of them will ignore the pets and come straight at me.  Wendigo usually keeps me up when that happens though, outside of certain bosses and large/multiple spawns.

I've not run much of Elite yet , but it seems a lot rougher - the pets still do just as well (if anything, they are more survivable than before), but my actual character isn't able to stay in melee the way I could in Normal.  I'm gonna put some points in Primal Bond for some damage absorption to hopefully help with that, but I can definitely believe that I'll struggle in Ultimate.

My current build: http://grimcalc.com/build/YKxCgL
(Vines, Sigil, and Pox are just to trigger devotion procs, the rest I plan to put more points into)

I'm not aware of any items scaling with player character, but it's not something that I've thought to look into.  I know you get 'Empowered' versions of the Blue items at higher levels with better stats though.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2016, 07:50:10 am »

I ended up getting this when it was considered content complete. I've been playing with an Occultist that focuses on poison and acid damage using the Dreeg's Evil Eye and Plague abilities mostly.

From what I've played so far it is fun and I'm enjoying it. I would hope that in the future they expand the game into new areas of the map. When you see the playable areas compared to the full in game map it's rather small.

The biggest thing I find odd is that there is no weapons that work off Spirit. There's off hands like books, skulls and so on but no wands or staves. The developers have said that this is because those types of items don't fit with their world style and that's fine, but it feels odd to me having to put points into Physique or Cunning so I can get the benefits and stats of holding a weapon while a soldier or demolitionist doesn't have to. I've been using a pistol as a main weapon.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2016, 08:17:54 am »

Pets don't hold aggro at all though despite them having skills with taunt elements; if I do *anything* that affects an enemy, nearly all of them will ignore the pets and come straight at me. 

I'm not familiar with Conjurer builds yet, but this is the exact problem reported by those playing at Ultimate. The enemies would go straight to their characters instead of their pets/summons.

The biggest thing I find odd is that there is no weapons that work off Spirit. There's off hands like books, skulls and so on but no wands or staves. The developers have said that this is because those types of items don't fit with their world style and that's fine, but it feels odd to me having to put points into Physique or Cunning so I can get the benefits and stats of holding a weapon while a soldier or demolitionist doesn't have to. I've been using a pistol as a main weapon.

This threw me off too initially. However, there are actually scepters and wands in the game. They don't shoot magic beams like in Diablo 2, I guess you just use them to smack enemies when cornered, while utilising their bonuses to boost your spell damages and effects.
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/Scepters/

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2016, 08:46:05 am »

Ah yes, I had forgotten about the sceptres but that's kind of my point. I don't use them because they require both Physique and Spirit, and from looking at the list, generally in equal amounts. Getting 277 Physique and Spirit would require either a build of Soldier and Occultist or putting points in both Physique and Spirit which would lower the magical damage you deal. It just seems... counter to playing a mage class.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2016, 07:40:00 pm »

You play pure arcanist? In my experience, if you don't put at least some points into physique, it gets pretty hard to survive later in the game AND it greatly lowers the amount of equipment you can equip overall as "mage" equipment usually has a high spirit requirement, and a lesser (but still high) physique requirement.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:45:01 pm by Baijiu »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5