Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Grim Dawn  (Read 14969 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Dawn
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 09:51:38 pm »

In general the bonuses for invested points in non-physique aren't worth it. Save about 20 stat points for emergencies, and spend everything else on physique, which lets you get gear with other stats on it in large amounts.

At the moment balance for non-pet classes on Ultimate is a fucking joke due to how Offensive Ability works, so don't plan on legitimately accomplishing anything unless one of your classes is soldier or arcanist and you go straight for OA devotion and gear.

OA determines how often you hit and crit things, so it overshadows everything else including spirit and +% damage. If you miss you do nothing.

Normal and Elite are so painfully easy you can get by with just about anything, though. Except the last boss, which is something else entirely.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2016, 02:23:43 pm »

THREAD, RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!

I've just gotten this and I'm really enjoying it - absolute for any Diablo 2 fans. If the developers were 3-4 years earlier they would have become millionaires, currently it feels like slightttllyyy dated.

That said, it's really fun. I'm really loving the atmosphere, how much stuff they've crammed in and the character development (although I have no idea what I'm doing...). The spells also feel pretty awesome.

Not a fan of how there's no indication where the quests are. Whilst some may say 'noob', it does just get a bit tiresome wandering around in the swamp for half an hour just to find one little path.

Anyway, how does it hold up long term? Much replay-ability other than just trying another class for the hell of it?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2016, 06:34:53 pm »

The game has 3 difficulty, like diablo 2. After that you have two end game dungeons that you need to farm keys for. Overall a lot of content with new survival mode coming in next big patch. You will have around 60 to 80h for one character.

This is at the moment probably the best arpg out there, as the core mechanic and character customization is done extremely well.

The game has three bigger problems, lack of randomization of areas, not great end game compared to games like PoE and D3 (but will have modding support) and last no secure server option for people that want to have a more trade oriented and legit environment.

Make love not war

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2016, 09:47:35 pm »

I've found the jump in difficulty from normal to elite quite high, where fighting even one unique monster one on one ends up with me dying nearly instantly more often than not. It is important to build up resistances for the higher difficulties but even so.

I think a recent patch toned down enemy damage, but I've yet to see how that changes things.

I do enjoy the game a lot, it is very enjoyable even more so than Titan's Quest which it is built upon but if I had one major gripe it's that each chapter doesn't have that much of an ending. You defeat the boss and move into the next area without any real fanfare. A cinematic would be nice to bookend the chapters.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2016, 08:38:43 pm »

This game's on sale with the Humble Monthly Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly .  12 dollars gets you Grim Dawn + other games yet to be unlocked.  Seems cheap so I picked it up.  Anyone on here still playing this?

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2016, 10:00:45 pm »

I want to like this game more. It's pretty great at everything, but the lack of a ladder and an economy really puts me off.  :(

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2016, 12:25:14 am »

Crucible sucks. I have one melee primal strike warder in Ultos that can do it, but even with that tier survivability and AoE it still takes 25 minutes of a game to get one Legendary item and a huge pile of trash.

The item find game in Grim Dawn is awful, as the pool of decent endgame gear is so absurdly diluted you'll never find what you want - but you can't really trade for shitall because that requires posting a flat list of your shit on their forum like this is the dark ages.

If you want to do a single run through a single difficulty on a single character, it's okay on sale. Otherwise is way too absurdly grindy to never get what you want.

Or cheat, I guess. There's a stash file on the forums that has every item in the game on it, so just grab that and go to town.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2016, 12:34:40 pm »

The item find game in Grim Dawn is awful, as the pool of decent endgame gear is so absurdly diluted you'll never find what you want - but you can't really trade for shitall because that requires posting a flat list of your shit on their forum like this is the dark ages.

Yeah a lot of great items which dilutes your chances, i need that Beastcaller set for my summoner but i have like 680 hours played and not a single bit drop ;p

For crucible sometimes i'll get 4 purples drop, best way to farm: Do the boost thing to 100, get to 150, then do the checkpoint to 130, get to 150, checkpoint to 130 rinse and repeat.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2016, 03:32:06 am »

I did some experimenting with Crucible if anyone cares.

Choosing the "raise the stakes" option for extra spawns will net you an extra chest at the end... and it's a Nemesis chest.

That's worth it, so I tried building up 4 rank 2 stormcaller towers for quick clearing on my Warder.

And it increases the cost to restart at wave 130, finally just forcing you to restart at wave 1 and destroying your towers. So, no matter what, trying to find some way to efficiently get gear puts you in a tedious grind. It's still faster than trying to find the Cthonic/Aetherial nemesis if you want their shoulders for some reason, though. And the chests can drop Tonics of Clarity, so that's also a thing.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2017, 12:31:22 am »

The expansion for Grim Dawn has been released, "Ashes of Malmouth".

I haven't bought and played the expansion yet, though since I enjoy Grim Dawn I will most likely get it at some point. More areas, items and 2 new classes will be nice to have. I'm still trying to batter my way through Ultimate difficulty with my soldier class tank character.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2017, 06:31:21 am »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2017, 12:13:35 pm »

I picked up the expansion, but haven't explored any of the new areas/acts cos I started a new Ritualist (Necromancer/Shaman) pet build.  Got 5 skeletons, 1 of the big poison hulk things (may take the transmuter to allow up to 3 with a timer before they explode), and the briarthorn so far at level 17.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2018, 06:38:10 am »

I just saw a video on this, though I haven't watched it all myself yet, but apparently there's another expansion for Grim Dawn coming called "Forgotten Gods". It seems to be moving to a desert/Egypt theme along with a new class called the "Oathkeeper".

Here's a link to a forum thread covering some information on the expansion.

Apparently it's due to be released later this year. There's no listing on Steam yet though so it doesn't seem like there's a specific date set.

I must admit to not having finished the content, or even started, from the previous expansion. Starting a necromancer was fun and playing around with the skills but I can't give my opinion on the length of story/gameplay content as I haven't actually reached it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2018, 08:59:08 am »

Forgotten Gods has been known for a while (though it wasn't posted here).

Grim Dawn is all around great, as are its DLCs. It has a ton of good, quality content. It has also a ton of hidden content, some of which can be accessed in your first playthrough and some that only appears on the maximum difficulty level.

My single complaint about it is this: of the three attributes you can raise when levelling up, only one is worth it: Physique. All the others can be raised by investing in the masteries. Yes, even if you are a mage you'll want to sink all your points up to level 70 into Physique.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5