Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Dorf Genealogy a.k.a. I have no life  (Read 14912 times)

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorf Genealogy a.k.a. I have no life
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2013, 10:23:20 pm »

Oh man, does it work? I'm excited!

Morphyum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2013, 12:35:19 am »

As far as I could test it works yes, but it doesn't have an graphic output by itself, you need another program like myheritage for that

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2013, 12:37:16 am »

This thread disappeared off of my posted in threads list. I haven't played DF in a while but I am still really interested in this topic.

madpraxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2013, 08:39:06 am »

I shall end my years long hiatus of only reading the forums with some general info for everyone involved in this topic.

Marrying cousins was a rather normal event, worldwide. For a silly long time. For reals.
The way genetics actually work instead of what people think really makes it take some effort to get genetic problems due to 'inbreeding', and we will find out why people think its really silly easy instead of what it really is here in a few sentences. (Note, it does happen, but its more a case of genetic faults showing up and people, for whatever reason, thinking that drooling hunchbacked bob who can't figure out how to open a door would make a great match for drooling hunchbacked jane who can't figure out how to open a door...guess what, they may be cousins but their child coming out hunchbacked and drooling and not being able to figure out how doors work doesn't really have to do with them being cousins...Or as what is more usually the case, someone with serious(or not) genetic flaws having a child and passing the genetic code on containing the flaws, which is how genetics works, unlike what the beloved racism (instead of science) based eugenics program has taught everyone.)

You have to realize its all America's fault that people are like 'omg, wtf, bbq, married cousin!'. As a mild surprise for most people that will read this, the racial purity movement that the people who took over and led the Nazi party really didn't think of it first. America beat them to it (And those sneaky nazi's jacked our ideas...)! Hoora! Around the 1920's (starting before, but the 1920's is when it really got widespread if I remember right) there was a big general push for racial purity combined with a general anti-immigrant movement. Thus  leading to the 'oh god, those dirty animals married their cousins'. Mind you, a good chunk of the people saying these things most likely had parents/grand-parents who where cousins, but hey, 'brilliant' ideas don't have to make sense, right?

Time warped the whole 'dirty immigrants marrying their cousins like the filthy beasts they are' sentiment into 'marrying cousin is genetically wrong, makes inbreeding'.
And then toss in the world (for reasons I still haven't figured out) taking American trends in thought and action and making it their own....And now you have a general 'civilized' view of marrying cousin = bad.
Mind, there are still places in the great ol' US of A where some small towns are all related to each other. And there are more places like that in the rest of the world.

You can probably dig up more info around the web, but was just a short summary that I pulled out of the back of my brain due to talking about this stuff 6 hours or so ago with someone...

Now, I need to go map out my dwarf family tree now due to reading all these pages of people talking about it and being impressed enough to actually motivate to do something I've thought of doing for years.
As a side note, take those screwed up rat dogs and the seriously purebred big dogs. Its taken who knows how many HUNDREDS (hell, by this point its probably in the thousands) of generations of mother+(grand)son/father+(grand)daughter couplings with the random cousin+cousin thrown in for them to achieve their genetic defects. And that general result is early organ failure (big purebreds) and assorted random physical errors(ratdogs). If I remember correctly off the top of my head, human and dog genetic pairs are rather close in length, so take that as you will...
Sorry, if this is slightly incoherent in organization, I just woke up and slammed a few cups of coffee while reading this topic...

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2013, 09:18:23 am »

I actually used myheritage to build a family tree for one of my games in Crusader Kings I, which didn't have an in-game gui for that, beyond showing the selected characters parents, siblings, children, and IIRC grandparents and grandchildren.

Anyway, back on track: It shouldn't be too complex to code a family tree generator (somebody did one for CKI, I think), although I probably wouldn't be able to do it myself, at least not just with what I know now. Assuming the dfhack dwarfexport command includes familial relations (and if it doesn't, can a similar script be made?), it shouldn't be much more than first identifying dwarfs based on their names, then recording the relations they have in their descriptions, then building the family tree off of comparing those links. I initially thought 2 dwarves with the same name might cause trouble, but they'd of course have different family ties.
When I saw this my first thought was "oh yeah, I did that too but I scripted it instead" because manual labor is for dwarves. I don't think it's my code on the CK forums though, but I know that somebody did something similar.

I might have to look into how dfhack looks and works -- I've been away from the game for... oh, 2 years? and just now returned. Parsing the file shouldn't be much harder than CK2's save files. At least I hope it's not.
Edit: oh well, someone already did something. I guess that means I'm off the hook.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:21:46 am by azazel »
マグマキッド

Morphyum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2013, 12:28:31 pm »

Btw. just to remind you guys i already finsihed my tool to create a myheritage file out of a DF legends xml check it out here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132153.0
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]