Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Hill Dwarf Challenge  (Read 10024 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
The Hill Dwarf Challenge
« on: August 12, 2011, 12:13:18 pm »

After seeing Toady One talk about hill dwarves I've started wondering: What will those settlements look like? They aren't fortresses, but are they underground? A mix of above and below?

Eventually they'll get into the game and we'll get to see them, but in the meantime I thought it'd be neat to start up a challenge. You have to build a Hill Dwarf settlement.

Basic rules

1) You must embark fairly close to an existing Mountainhome of your Civ. Preferably on the border between it and the surrounding non-mountain countryside.

2) The focus of a Hill Dwarf settlement is to provide the mountainhomes with raw materials and goods that they don't have. Therefore, the settlement should be fairly specialized. The exact specialization is up to you. You could export food, cloth, wood, metal, gems, whatever your embark site has most abundant. But the focus should be on export.

3) This is a settlement and not a military stronghold. While you can have a military, the focus should be on ways to keep the civilians alive and you should try to keep many more civilians than you have soldiers. Try not to dig too deep. If you wish to turn off invaders for this challenge, you may do so. (This simulates an above-world army from the Mountainhomes keeping you safe)

4) Mods are allowed, but should be restricted to ones that don't change the overall tone of DF too much. Civilization Forge, Genisis, and the like are fine. Total conversions, Fortress Defense, and the like are probably ill suited to this challenge.

I'm open to any other rules, but this is mostly an optional challenge and the goal is to see what people come up with. Please post journals and screen shots so we can see what you come up with! If you participate, please let us know what your focus is and what restrictions you're putting on yourself.

I'll be doing one of my own, although I won't start for a bit. I need to get some kinks worked out of my mod first.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill Dwarf Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:48:18 pm »

No one else, huh? Well, I suppose I'll just catalog the events of my hill dwarves here, then.

I should be starting it up either tonight or tomorrow night.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »

Mephansteras,

Good to see some of the experienced players still around. If you want, post the save for your worldgen and I'll take a spot opposite the mountain home from your fort. I've been pretty busy lately but am willing to give this a bit of a go, despite not having played the 0.31 release hardly at all. Just post save on DFMA and provide link.

I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:09:55 pm »

Sure thing. I'll be using my Civilization Forge mod, but that shouldn't change things too much unless you want to delve into some of the optional complexity.
Come play Mafia with us!

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47:08 pm »

I really like the thought of a part above ground, part underground. And focusing on one industry could be fun! I think you should choose an embark spot & profile, have everyone use that, pick an industry each and compare results annually
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:54:37 pm »

Hmmm. Not a bad idea. Give everyone a well-rounded embark set-up and see what people make of it.

I'm thinking I'll have invasions turned off. Civilization Forge gets a bit crazy with attacks otherwise, and I think that'd be detrimental to the goal of this challenge. After all, it's more a creativity challenge than a survival challenge.
Come play Mafia with us!

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 01:56:22 pm »

I support invasions off! We can be entirely industrious! With the odd military for GCS farming ;)
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 05:21:17 pm »

Invasion on! A squad of marksdwarves can handle a goblin siege. Right? Posting to watch. Though I may try this challenge personally.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 05:22:41 pm »

Invasion on! A squad of marksdwarves can handle a goblin siege. Right? Posting to watch. Though I may try this challenge personally.

Hehe...it's not just goblins. It's 3 or 4 enemy civs, all of whom may ambush/siege in a given year. It gets a bit nasty. Especially if you get Chaos Dwarves who are probably better equipped than you.

In any case, people are welcome to change their init to have invasions on or off as they like. Mine will be off.
Come play Mafia with us!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 06:25:24 pm »

Oh, right. Never played Civ Forge.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 06:35:21 pm »

Ah. Yeah, it's a little bit harder than normal DF.

Looks like I'll be busy tonight, so I'll get the save up tomorrow night.
Come play Mafia with us!

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 07:43:21 pm »

In trading with other civs, are we limited in our exports, or do we have carte blanche?

And, as for our exports, do they have to be raw materials, or can we produce end-product?
ie. smelted metals only or can we manufacture and sell weapons, trap components, high-end crafts, etc.

Finally, are there any limits on imports?

As for the invasions off issue, will there still be child snatchers and ambushes, or are they also switched off?

Looking forward to joining this experiment.
Darkening Kaos, CIS.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 07:59:21 pm »

I actually had a hill dwarf race/entity modded into my game way back in the last release. Kinda amusing to see hill dwarves are going to end up in the game officially, though I doubt they'll be anything like the ones I put in.

This sounds fun though, Mephansteras. Count me in for it.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 09:52:26 pm »

Oddly enough, this is how I run most of my forts.  I try to come up with a theme, limit the population to what I think is required for the theme and then go.
Examples:
Dairy Farm - Only export "Dairy" items (Milk, Cheese, Eggs)
Gucci - only export Clothing.  Try to export clothing made from every type of material.
Weapons production - Only export weapons (usually don't allow ammo to be included)
Engineering House - sell siege parts and mechanisms
Winery - only export alcohol
Hunting Shack/Slaughter House - hunters, butchers, and tanners bring in the money
I often disable invaders (though still keep defenses to protect from predators), and obviously (from the length of this list) don't force the village to survive too long before i am off to the next thing.
The one thing I haven't done and should start doing is a theme appropriate mega project (every dairy needs a Giant metal cow standing in the field, right?)

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 12:59:24 am »

I think I'll participate, I'm going for glass industry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7