Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Creature Size/Weight Displayer  (Read 2010 times)

Zd05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creature Size/Weight Displayer
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:20:51 pm »

Hi, i have a ideas.

Why not make a displayer of the size and weight of a creature in its window?

Like this :

It's a ugly screen modification, but this is my idea.

At the bottom of the window, is the first solution.
In the text is the second.

What is better ?

(In the subject of the topic, I propose to introduce the measure of the limbs(members) (arms, legs, wings, teeth), and their importance.)

My ideas is good?  :)

Thanks for reading and sorry for my english (i am french).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Size/Weight Displayer
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 04:27:32 pm »

While that is a little silly (very silly for a game where these descriptions should be inside the head of the character looking at them)

It unfortunately does present a solution to the "How large is that being?" problem.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:29:14 pm »

This sounds like a good idea, and it makes sense given the kinds of other minor details that are already given.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:30:59 pm »

(very silly for a game where these descriptions should be inside the head of the character looking at them)

No sillier than the character being able to discern the specific shade of, (to go back to the OP's posted example), the raven's skin under its feathers.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:43:55 pm »

(very silly for a game where these descriptions should be inside the head of the character looking at them)

No sillier than the character being able to discern the specific shade of, (to go back to the OP's posted example), the raven's skin under its feathers.

Maybe the character has exceptional eyesight that would also be able to tell a Polarbear has black skin under its white (or clear) fur.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:46:32 pm »

1. Toady lives in America, we use pounds and feet not centimeters and grams (even though this way is far superior). So either A, Toady will use the American measurement system or B, a lot of people are going to be confused.

2. 50 centimeters is one big bird. DF has it's own ambiguous weight system, and will probably use that.

3. The raws do not currently support this, all creatures are measured as volume. So a serious change would need to be made in the raws.

But it is a good idea. Perhaps though we can use the volume system instead. Saying "the raven is takes up 10 Urists of space".

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Zd05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 05:41:17 pm »

Yes that's right.

Maybe the size system should be reviewed ; A dwarf can cut off the head of a hydra of several meters high, it's unrealistic.

Add a randomizer for height. The height depends on the length of the legs and torso. (for dwarves), etc.

And a revision of combat system, with a calculate the new importance of height.

But, i'm not a professional of modding, and I say may be a foolishness.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:22:02 pm »

Toady lives in America, we use pounds and feet not centimeters and grams (even though this way is far superior).

...The metric temperature measurement system, on the other hand, is just as arbitrary as ours. (The world really needs to switch over to the Rankine Scale)
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 10:16:01 pm »

But size is already gram mass.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:19:01 pm by FallingWhale »
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 10:37:32 pm »

Also Toady may be American... but given his field of study I'd think he learned metric.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 10:45:32 pm »

Still, I believe that Toady is better off using the volume method I stated above. It gives the player a general idea of size, which is the overall point of the height suggestion. Plus, a creature could be six feet tall and tower over a dwarf, but be a twig-like creature that will get blown over in a stiff breeze. Likewise, I'm taller then a lion, doesn't mean I'm going to attack it. Height is an unreliable system to check for the size of the creature. While volume is already in the game, is the main driving force behind combat, and could be more easily implemented.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 08:15:41 am »

I prefer the IT 000 method.
I do not know nothing about programing but i believe that changing the whole weigth and heigh system will take a long time,enough to toady die of soda overdose.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:06:55 am by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 02:13:20 pm »

Well. What I'd suggest is not even having the exact weight and height displayed.

But instead give a size in relation.

And example would be if you were in Fortress mode "This creature is half the size of a dwarf, this creature is quarter the weight of a dwarf " Etc

And in adventurer mode it's given directly off what race YOU are. So if you were a human and met a giant "This creature is ten times your size and weight! etc etc

What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 03:27:35 pm »

Well. What I'd suggest is not even having the exact weight and height displayed.

And example would be if you were in Fortress mode "This creature is half the size of a dwarf, this creature is quarter the weight of a dwarf " Etc

And in adventurer mode it's given directly off what race YOU are. So if you were a human and met a giant "This creature is ten times your size and weight! etc etc

This sounds good to me.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 03:33:22 pm »

I'm not partial to seeing maths in a game like this, so your idea certainly bridged the gap between the current game flavor and the OP's suggestion.  Very nice.

Pages: [1] 2