Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your Own Forgotten Beasts  (Read 3009 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Your Own Forgotten Beasts
« on: August 13, 2011, 01:01:56 am »

This may or may not be known, but I've stumbled on a way to at least make your own forgotten beasts.

Since there was no difference in material properties for organs other than tile/color, I combined them all into a generic material called offal and pointed all the organ tissues to this new material.  The point was to change the meat name of this material to yield 'sausage' when butchered.  It worked great for my purposes.

However, when I generated a new world, I noticed error messages that it could not generate random creatures because these materials were missing (obviously hardcoded to use those materials).  It did, though, grab the first creatures (in the order they appeared in the file) from the first (alphabetical) creature file and made them forgotten beasts (my first file happened to contain the fishes, which is why it was easy to notice).  It did not generate night creatures, demons or overland titans.

Apparently, as long as you rename your materials (if you want to still use the default ones) and point your tissues at them, then put whatever creatures you want as forgotten beasts in the first creature file with enough of them to cover the count, you will at least be able to have your own forgotten beasts in your worlds.

Of course, there's more testing to be done, but I figured I'd turn everyone loose on it and see what you come up with.

(Edited for clarity.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:27:52 pm by Dwarfu »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Your Own Forgotten Beasts
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 03:57:51 am »

Genius! This could make some new-er-ish mods more indepth with custom FB. I am watching this !!SCIENCE!!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:42:33 am »

Huh. Too bad that I don't have the first world in my minimalist mod anymore, where I ran across the same warning after creating separate offal. Would only have been toads if it worked, though. Were all those fishes unit-sized?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:48:15 am »

I haven't done much more testing other than adding a phoenix to see if it would gen as a FB and it did (was in legends, didn't see it during play).

Since world gen used regular fish for forgotten beasts, it doesn't seem to be adding/removing any tags, as the forgotten beast fish died within their MAXAGE limits, so I'd tailor your beasts accordingly.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 02:49:18 pm »

So basically, you're modding the tissues to throw off the procedure for FB generation, then modifying what it defaults to if those procedures don't work?  I'll give you credit, it's a pretty spectacular find.

Now, when you mean "the first creatures" - literally the first creature, or any creature from the first (alphabetical) creature file?  The latter would have an enormous amount of modding potential.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 03:21:10 pm »

It used the first alphabetical creature file, then stepped through the creatures in the order they appeared in the file until it reached the count it needed (based on map size/init setting).

Edit:  I retested this, and if the first file doesn't contain enough creatures, it continues in the same fashion to the next alpha creature file, through the creatures in the order they appear in the file.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:23:36 pm by Dwarfu »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 04:00:22 pm »

Highly intruiging.  And this gets rid of titans and clowns as well?  Final question - does it throw out a bunch of stuff in the errorlog?

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 04:25:25 pm »

Nothing that is revealed in legends mode was generated other than forgotten beasts.  Not a 100% sure on bogeymen or feature demons.

There aren't a 'bunch' of errors, just one line for each 'missing' material (eye, lung, etc.), and only one line (not one line for each creature attempt), so about 8-10 lines at most.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 04:47:04 pm »

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me (as I suspected after you mentioned that it takes the next file as well). It goes straight from the dragons to the dwarven deities. :-\ After the reports that UNIQUE_DEMON supposedly works, that's the second thing that just doesn't work for me. Could be a difference due to operation system (Ubuntu in my case)?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 05:24:59 pm »

Interesting, I'm on Vista.

Pic of my file listing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I made the creature_all_generated to hold the single creature test phoenix to see if it would fail or continue on to the actinopterygii - it continued.

Pic of the errors from the remapped materials:

And pic showing the legends where it used the phoenix and the fishes:

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 05:43:57 pm »

This is a pretty damn AWESOME find, keep us posted!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 06:14:47 pm »

Aha! Downloaded the Windows version to use through Wine, mangled the eye material template, and genned a world, and it does happen... except not in alphabetical order (that was a problem with other files on Wine, wasn't it?). Starts with creature_small_riverlake, into creature_standard, taking a detour into creature_equipment, going back to creature_subterranean, then grabbing the first two from creature_large_tropical as the final beasts.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 08:20:52 pm »

Cool.

Did it work with other randoms?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 09:39:37 pm »

into creature_standard, taking a detour into creature_equipment, going back to creature_subterranean, then grabbing the first two from creature_large_tropical as the final beasts.

A forgotten beast wagon with deadly blood :O Now this i gotta see
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 11:23:48 pm »

Aha! Downloaded the Windows version to use through Wine, mangled the eye material template, and genned a world, and it does happen... except not in alphabetical order (that was a problem with other files on Wine, wasn't it?). Starts with creature_small_riverlake, into creature_standard, taking a detour into creature_equipment, going back to creature_subterranean, then grabbing the first two from creature_large_tropical as the final beasts.

Definitely OS specific then. It's not doing something completely random in this case, but darned if you can find an easy way to predict the pattern.
Pages: [1] 2