Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your Own Forgotten Beasts  (Read 3008 times)

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Own Forgotten Beasts
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 06:46:33 am »

Try experimenting with file creation/modification timestamps, see if that's what's determining load order in Wine.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 12:00:46 pm »

does that mean i can make a slade fb,with adamantine teeth and claws and firebreath?
I am a Goober.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 12:15:26 pm »

does that mean i can make a slade fb,with adamantine teeth and claws and firebreath?
In theory yes... That would end any fortress lol, Unless you made his left foot forth toe his only weakness

Slade FB: RAWR!! YOU DIE NOW LITTLE DWARF
Dwarf Mcdwarf: Oh S**T *runs away*
Slade FB: GET BACK HERE I WILL DISTRO... *stubs toe on rock*
The Slade FB has been struck down

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2023, 11:24:18 pm »

I really hate to necro this thread but this topic interests me greatly, since ive discovered this thread ive tried to reproduce what the OP says happens and so far ive got the game to produce legends, where im really confused is the alphabetical creature part, where exactly do I insert FB creature fillers to manipulate the FB creation

Im getting a lot of odd ball FB but I don't see any pattern to there creation. :(

also OP says his error file is small, mine is rather large coming in at a smoken 13mb of text XD but every thing still works.

What exactly is the first (alphabetical) creature file ? I don't quite understand this.. concept?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2023, 10:20:51 am »

This thread is very outdated, the versions that they're referring to had significant differences (20+ years of differences) compared to steam-game version 50. standard, or even 40. to 47.05 classic.

Nowadays you can create your own FB's as long as the rest of the information is correct using [FEATURE_BEAST]. Simply defining your own beasts then editing the world-details to narrow the types until just yours or a mixture appear seems to be enough, and works in the latest version.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2023, 10:22:34 am »

Omg thank you Google is not my friend apparently I will dig deep into this knowledge thank you again 🫠🤣

Setting the world details is that something that can be controlled from a mod or I have to manually do it? Cause I'd love to use this feature to add a boss battle to some end game content I want to make but if the user has to specify worldgen stuff then it's not ideal :(

Weeelp it's kinda hilarious this still kinda works 😂😂🤣

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2023, 11:46:19 am »

Omg thank you Google is not my friend apparently I will dig deep into this knowledge thank you again 🫠🤣

Setting the world details is that something that can be controlled from a mod or I have to manually do it? Cause I'd love to use this feature to add a boss battle to some end game content I want to make but if the user has to specify worldgen stuff then it's not ideal :(

Weeelp it's kinda hilarious this still kinda works 😂😂🤣

Advanced world generation would be what you are looking for. Better still, it can be tied to a preset for ease of use, by creating a world.txt file with all the info. Though i admit i might have mis-remembered FB's for Titan's when re-looking through the wiki (titans are seperate creatures who walk the surface seperate from megabeasts and FB's). You can't currently make the pool of FB's smaller because they lack the ability to edit the types, but you can give creatures with [FEATURE_BEAST] the exact same behaviour as FB's when they appear adding them to the pool.

Sorry about that didn't mean to mislead you, but you will still have some random FB's. A more on topic example of thinning another editable random creature so yours is more prevelant would be [UNIQUE_DEMON], which it works great for that. A potential workaround would be to make a lot of types of FB, with some minor distinguishable differences so that you see them more often.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2023, 01:17:37 pm »

Okay so if I'm understanding all of this somewhat you just make a creature the way you normally make creatures but just include the feature beast tag the biome tags that it requires or unique demon tag and then just make a bunch of copies in the same creature file?

edit: I guess I got this working sort of I made a creature file with 4 creatures inside of it all tagged feature beast, started a game played for a while then decided to change some details on the creatures, this was a mistake after reloading the game with creature changes the game started throwing errlog errors about missing/corrupted :unit files and only 4 lines …….. so apperaently you can not edit creatures with feature beast in the same fashion you can without that tag because it saving information at world gen? im guessing ? so I loaded a new world and so far the error has not came up so im guessing that my creature is out there waiting for its turn to appear ….??

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2023, 02:31:44 pm »

It might show up in legends mode too, you should read through the list of forgotten beasts

Or open the arena with that worlds data and see if you can spawn it (Assuming you didn't exclude it from the arena like most cavern creatures)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 02:33:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2023, 04:07:12 pm »

the creature is just a dwarf with [feature_beast] on it, with different names, I removed tags from dwarf that I think would maybe conflict with the fb tag

the way the wiki reads is that using feature beast will not produce legends ? or am I mistaken ?

and no its not arena restricted I will see if it is there or not.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2023, 05:01:13 pm »

Huh, didn't notice that part. Maybe you could get it to spawn by opening up and searching all of the caverns on an embark and chopping down a few trees in each before sealing them back up. Other beasts will spawn as well, could kill them until you see the one you made.

Ive never played with this tag before tbh
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2023, 05:28:52 pm »

They are in arena they don't all have graphics but they're all their
I'll post here if I find any profound discovery
Pages: 1 [2]