Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reliable, replenish able work setups?!  (Read 969 times)

Flattermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
reliable, replenish able work setups?!
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:12:09 am »

As the title indicates I have come to ask you about setups that keeps the workers busy without a great deal of micro ordering them around on my part.
I have already tried to combat unemployment with increasing my furnace operator troop, constantly building new furniture, hunting & butchering etc.  But short of general mobilization I just don't seem to have any way of creating new *useful* work. I could try to start up a cloth industry or start some serious bee-keeping but I fear that doing so in mass will turn my fortress into one giant cluster f* , so any advice would be appreciated.

On a related note 34 of 48 Dwarfs are in the military atm, is there any merit in going beyond 1 in 3 ratio or wont they siege that fast?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: reliable, replenish able work setups?!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:15:03 am »

I would suggest making endless amounts of stone blocks and building something cool.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 09:42:10 am »

Dumping stones, building outside semi-megastructure, processing goblinite and flourishing metal industry ate my workforce to the point that 100 Dwarfs are not enough, and I only have 1-3 idlers at all times, because my Broker, Baron and Chief Medical Dwarfs have few jobs enabled. Now I appreciate having idlers in my previous forts.

I actually have a related problem. I periodically want jobs like milking, shearing, cheese making, and others. I can set them on repeat, but they will get canceled when raw materials run out. I can order them in manager, get lots of cancellation spam, and the jobs will still run out. No workaround, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:45:24 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 10:18:52 am »

You could always make teams of full time pump operators, they'll get stronger eventually and might be useful for your military.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 10:22:55 am »

A
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:41:53 am by Benedict Hardy »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 10:48:05 am »

Or skilling up the unskilled masses by mass-production.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 11:16:16 am »

When I'm bored, or got too many dwarf idling around, I usually build a big tower out of green glass on top of my fort. I go with a typical block of flats, with rooms on each floor. Every room is fully furnished and symmetrical. Everything in the tower is made out of green glass(no beds). Once I'm done (about 8 floors high) it gets closed, and no one sets foot inside... ever...
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:25:11 pm »

Last night, during a serious session of thinking* I realized there are only a few feature requests I had to turn this awesome game into a "daddy, why is mommy leaving?" game. This is one of them. There exists an interface for scheduling the actions of military dwarves, monthly. Why not have this type of interface and scheduling for work orders? If we have 30 dwarves, we know we are going to be consuming about 40 drinks per month. Why not have that automatically brewed? Some jobs won't work like this, but enough would to keep your dwarves employed and happy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".