Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave In's  (Read 2111 times)

Bitharne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave In's
« on: July 27, 2012, 07:46:16 pm »

I looked around but could not find any confirmation on this. But when you perform a cave in, will un-mined ore drop as if mined? Completely vaporize? Or something else entirely? Was looking to make an "outside" dining hall a dozen or so Z-levels down, and don't really wana waste all the marble/dolomite/ore/gems in the column i'm to collapse.

So should I mine it all out and channel out each level? Perhaps, cave in the mined floor tiles afterwords would be faster than channeling each level?

Thanks for the input :)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Cave In's
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:03:59 pm »

It won't drop, that's for sure.

Bitharne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:18:14 pm »

The ore/stone/gems won't?

Figured that would be the case. Think i'll just cave in each floor after mining it out then.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 09:00:55 pm »

Constructed tiles that fall (e.g., block walls or stairs) decompose to the materials they were built from when they land (or as they fall, I can't remember for sure; I just know the block ends up at the bottom, not the wall/floor/stairs/workshop).

When a natural tile (or a cast obsidian block) falls, it does not break apart, but instead stays in its tile as a solid block of natural wall. The natural block will continue falling until it lands on another (anchored) natural block.  It will punch through floors, both constructed and natural, that lack a solid (natural?) tile directly below them, however.

What this means is that if you drop the unmined (not dwarf built) contents of the room a few z-levels, they will still need to be mined out if you wish to make use of them, regardless of what they are made of.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:02:17 pm »

It will punch through floors, both constructed and natural, that lack a solid (natural?) tile directly below them, however.
They just need to be a solid anchored tile. It doesn't matter if the tile that it lands on is natural, constructed, or cast from obsidian.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 10:39:08 pm »

Unmined minerals (large clusters, veins, small clusters) should remain fully intact when they fall down, but soil and layer stones will transform into the surrounding layer they land in - if there are multiple soil layers and you drop the upper one, it will transform into the lower one, and if you drop a chunk of chalk down into a schist layer, it will turn into schist.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:41:42 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:47:03 pm »

Unmined minerals (large clusters, veins, small clusters) should remain fully intact when they fall down, but soil and layer stones will transform into the surrounding layer they land in - if there are multiple soil layers and you drop the upper one, it will transform into the lower one, and if you drop a chunk of chalk down into a schist layer, it will turn into schist.
This part I did not know.  So, you could drop schist into a chalk layer to get more chalk?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"