Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This is why I love Dwarf Fortress  (Read 16472 times)

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: This is why I love Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 02:13:58 pm »

Maybe it's from getting lodged in the wound?

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 02:56:31 pm »

Thanks for sharing. Was a good read :).

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 05:15:52 pm »

Only in dwarf fortress can picks become the greatest weapons in a game.

Actually, D&D's Heavy Pick has the highest critical hit modifier (x4) so for many totally broken builds, it is by far the best weapon in that game, as well.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 05:22:58 pm »

Actually, D&D's Heavy Pick has the highest critical hit modifier (x4) so for many totally broken builds, it is by far the best weapon in that game, as well.

....Did someone just call a weapon user, by far the most useless thing in the game, broken? Buddy, try some locate city bombs and get back to me about "broken"

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 07:14:02 pm »

Don't forget the Fell Drain. Instant zombie apocalypse, just add metamagic!
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 07:23:25 pm »

Just buy an unholy arrow, and hand it to some random peasants. Or, better yet, gen a level 1 human commoner with the feat "Death devotion", and punch a barnyard animal, and lock it in an outhouse untill it turns, and let it out, Any of the spawn creating undead should by all means have destroyed the world, anyhow :]

There is also the commoner railgun. Since readied actions occur instaenously, telling them all to ready an action to pass an item down a line results in that item attaining an infinite speed. You can also build a railgun out of riverine, with that one rune that changes all water that passes over it into steam. With a decanter of endless water avalible, and riveine eing unbreakable, the resulting pressure would fire a rock hard enough that by extrapolating the rules of falling damage, should do upwards of 2000D6 in damage.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 07:52:39 pm »

Good old quirky DND :) lol

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 08:00:41 pm »

....Did someone just call a weapon user, by far the most useless thing in the game, broken? Buddy, try some locate city bombs and get back to me about "broken"

A) Locate City doesn't actually work, you can't BoTT Snowcasting.
B) While wizards are totally the best, very few of them would be able to defeat the 12d6x4 crits that build could get. Or the Deepwood Sniper that could fire an arrow three and a half miles with a +30 atk bonus.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 08:13:35 pm »

You seem to misunderstand how wizards work.

You assume you get to hit him, easily counterable with a contingency.

Ex: See here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4209.0.

Also, for the locate city bomb, which does in fact work: 7: Kamehame-Hadoken, you can't make an omelette without umm... destroying a forest. Or something.
Requires the following
a. The desire to kill everything near you.
b. Locate City (RoD)
c. Snowcasting (FB)
e. Flash Frost (PHB2)
f. Energy Substitution (electricity) (CAr)
g. Born Of Three Thunders (CAr)
h. Explosive Spell (CAr)
i. Cast Contingency(teleport when unwillingly moved 10ft. or more) before hand.
Cast Locate City and apply said metamagic feats in that order.

Effect: Everything within (caster level) miles makes a reflex save (DC 11+ability mod) or is blown to outside the spell's effect taking (feet moved / 10)d6 damage.
You Can BoTT because it does not require the spell to be only electric, it must simply deal electric damage. Multiple types of damage can be caused by a spell.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 08:35:20 pm »

Good old quirky DND :) lol
DF is like D&D with no arguments over RAW and no DM to stop you.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 01:55:57 am »

Hmm, first thing's first for you, KodKod; if you want to keep these items and test them out, you're going to have to endure dirty dwarves.  Keep them away from bathing locations, soap, and mist-generators, or you'll risk losing the coating.  Once that's done, there's some ways to make sure the extract coating is the cause.  You could have a few dwarven soldiers train with them and monitor them for signs of extract transference or put them in a weapon trap and sacrifice a migrant or animal to see if they get poisoned.  You may want to backup your save for this; would hate to lose such potential to a tantrum spiral.

Once you can decisively determine whether or not a coated weapon can deliver a poison, we can update the wiki on this fact, and hopefully learn to better effectively weaponize poisons in the game!
Pages: 1 [2]