Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 614797 times)

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2011, 04:57:38 pm »

If we don't get them to associate Mandrills with pain we won't be able to control them using our Trained Mandrills.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

TomTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2011, 08:56:59 pm »

by the time they are out of there, they won't fear anything. infact, they might kill the mandrills, because they associate them with their hellholes. The only way to control them is to hope that they listen to you. If they go berserk, your screwed.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2011, 09:03:02 pm »

"The Mogli Guard", maybe?

Nah, Roughnecks, Rico's Roughnecks.
You're missing the powered armor and the giant invading arachnidey things.

Maybe I'll see the movie someday.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2011, 09:46:49 pm »

On one hand this is right up there with mermaid farm for the most horrible thing I've ever heard, on the other hand this beats the hell out of just murdering the children for being useless liabilities like I've been doing so far.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2011, 10:08:27 pm »

On one hand this is right up there with mermaid farm for the most horrible thing I've ever heard, on the other hand this beats the hell out of just murdering the children for being useless liabilities like I've been doing so far.

Hope you don't mind if I sig that, with a slight paraphrase.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2011, 11:18:20 pm »

:o

*Runs off to alert the authorities*

In any case, should I wait until the children have gained a few levels in toughness before subjecting them to the magma mist? Even if I douse dwarves that are on fire out, the bleed won't stop. Is toughness then associated with how much of this type of damage they can endure?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2011, 11:35:48 pm »

I think it's endurance of pain (without passing out)... but then again, there's Endurance. I dunno. Perhaps toughness is what you want, although 'Incredibly quick to heal'/'Posessed of amazing recuperative abilities' might work better for the burning-- although it can't be trained, it's set at birth. I've had a dwarf with really high healing rate get an arm torn off, and get right back up in a few seconds without bleeding enough to go Faint.

Ah, hold on, we can work in selective dwarf breeding too, to get the traits we want for healing rate (and disease resistance as well, since that's also untrainable). Preferably using eugenics.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2011, 11:40:12 pm »

Dwarven eugenics takes a very long time. To be able to have any sort of fun while you're at it, I think you might need to twist the dwarven strains, manipulating the lifespan as well as the birth rate of the dwarven species to have any sort of practicality. Of course, having no control over the breeding of dwarves, you're probably going to be sending the useless babies over the railings every other day to retain any sort of reasonable frame rate.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2011, 03:52:45 am »

How many people are actually building these 'training facilities' at the moment?

TomTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2011, 09:00:35 am »

i haven't yet, but i will be soon, once i get other things under control in my fortress. also, i need to get some lava.

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2011, 09:39:22 am »

I made a test for the kids chamber in my current fort, but is a grown fortress with some lags issues, so i don't foresee making the project full force in there.

So im trying to make a new fort to try it, but im stuck getting Galena as my only ore, and that i cant allow, i dont want to get all my iron from trades.

Edit: I cant find a suitable spot to construct a lab from scratch, so i stick with my fortress.

I Got 3 test subjects, not the ideally 1 year old kids i hoped for, but yet some 6 to 5 years old, so at least i will see the results quicker.

Subject A is in a chamber with a bed, 2x3 space and like s 10 dogs. SubjectB is in a 1x3 chamber, also with a bed and 8 dogs. Subject C is in a 2x1 space with 6 dogs. Each has booze and food for a year.

The experiment is officialy started on malachite 25th of 114, ill post any development
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:17:07 am by Yumil »

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2011, 12:04:15 pm »

A water channel is VERY bad.  Dodge related drowning would hurt training time.  Hence the well, or booze.

Dwarves can drink water through a grate. This is also a nice mental image.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2011, 12:17:02 pm »

Holy goddamn skeletal carp...
This is... wrong. I just read the first post... it's... so... !!SCIENCE!!-ific (or !!SCIENTIFIC!!)... and inhumane.... even inelvane... but extremely dwarfy too.
Armok's beard...
Throw in a snatcher if possible too... (Dunno if this was mentioned, I had to skip 7 pages, in a hurry)
Damn...
Throw in the statue of an elf, so that every time the child sees one, all it remembers is those years in misery... and the dogs...

My Lord... This is !!SCIENCE!! applied to children (The base of !!SCIENCE!! is that it is reproducable and has scientific value... Magma/Burning isn't necessary, may need to remove the !!-!!)

Damnit... My !!BRAIN!! is dead...
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2011, 12:35:49 pm »

Only one drawback I see:
The Magma-Mist application will cause them to pass out. You'll need to put them in a separate room from the dogs at this point, possibly by utilizing a secondary bed.
Also, it may be advantageous to do something like have a Butchery/Tannery/Leatherworkers workshop somewhere in there. As their last test, after twelve years of torture, they must kill their dog, skin it, and make leather armor out of it for them to wear.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2011, 12:40:21 pm »

Some quick notes after a couple of moths:

-Subject A hasn't been bitten once, a chamber of 2x3 is useless for this experiment. Subject B neither has been bitten, dogs seem comfortable in a 3x1 space with a dwarven child. I tried entering more dogs into the chambers, but my Dwarves refuse to do so. the zone is accessible, there are no burrow restrictions, but yet the pit animal work is listed as inactive and no one takes it....any ideas?

-SubjectC Has been bitten three times in a couple of months, 2x1 chamber size seems correct to provoke the dogs to fight. The child doesnt defend himself, no dodge, no block, not even a punch in the logs, but well, this is just the start.

I want to add more dogs to the pits, but the Dwarves are not piting them....ill try the wardogs now.

I plan to add a new 1x1 chamber, maybe refurbish Chamber A or build a new one...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 76