Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 614770 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #1095 on: May 08, 2014, 04:48:47 am »

So I'm reading through this thread (I'm on page 14 atm), and as people were discussing how it would be best to make a super soldier but remove skin, fat, and most organs, a thought pops into my head.

These are not scientists.

These are necrotechies, out to create a race of skeletal supersoldiers. They have the same goal as Necromancers--only their goals are different. One manipulates the dead into deadly weapons--the other manipulates the living.

......and I love it.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 08, 2014, 06:01:11 am »

Nope. One manipulates the dead bodies of anonymous people with a power gifted by the gods of death, the other practice hazardous heartless and often lethal experimentations on his own living offsprings.

That's the difference between a mere necromancer and a true dwarven scientist.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:04:23 am by Zac »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 08, 2014, 07:35:41 am »

Water training seems very effective, perhaps a few years of that, then some peahen training once they're stronger, then finish them off with experimental surgical procedures?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 08, 2014, 09:30:59 am »

I don't think dwarves can eat/drink while in water, so that would increase the need for micromanagement.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 08, 2014, 09:46:18 am »

If you automate the water supply, which isn't that hard since minecarts allow easy repeaters of arbitrary period, it becomes a lot less difficult.  If you use the 3x3 with doors blocking 3 tiles during filling it would be easy to automate since the dwarf stays in the same room the whole time. The only problem is that water flow might push the food around too much when draining, so it might be best to fill via a floor grate and u bend so that there's no way for test subjects or their provisions to get stuck in the plumbing.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: May 08, 2014, 05:43:20 pm »

Nope. One manipulates the dead bodies of anonymous people with a power gifted by the gods of death, the other practice hazardous heartless and often lethal experimentations on his own living offsprings.

That's the difference between a mere necromancer and a true dwarven scientist.

That's......exactly what I said in a different format.

Necromancer makes weapons out of the dead, you guys are making weapons out of the living.

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 09, 2014, 02:29:18 pm »

Also, a thought, re: science.

For the purposes of !!science!!, mod dwarves to not have babies, so dwarves pop out younglings as fully fledged test subjets.

This would not happen in pure vanilla, yes, but you don't have to wait around for a few years for shields babies to become test subjects.

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 09, 2014, 07:18:44 pm »

You can train children (and any other loafers) with dwarven kiddie pools (the link is in my sig).  Lately I've skipped the wall that's supposed to be deconstructed, and just put 1x1 meeting areas on the pressure plates.  Incorporating one into each isolation chamber would be problematic, but not impossible if you have an aquifer.  Be warned, I did actually have a child drown in these, but it's only happened one time.  Those are acceptable losses.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 09, 2014, 09:05:21 pm »

Be warned, I did actually have a child drown in these, but it's only happened one time.  Those are acceptable losses.

For a moment I thought we went too far. Just for moment tough.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1104 on: May 09, 2014, 09:09:04 pm »

Be warned, I did actually have a child drown in these, but it's only happened one time.  Those are acceptable losses.

For a moment I thought we went too far. Just for moment tough.
Yeah, it almost seemed like having a child drown was an unusually bad occurrence.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Grip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #1105 on: May 21, 2014, 12:57:00 pm »

Is it bad that this thread has convinced me to play Dwarf Fortress?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 21, 2014, 01:19:14 pm »

Not at all.  Most, if not all DF players are sadistic in one fashion or another.

As for the opposite of necromancers: That would be a vivomancer-- A sorcerer obsessed with learning the secrets of manipulating life and living things. Not given NEARLY enough coverage in literature. For some reason, people send too much time worrying over the dead-- those that preside over the living are far, FAR more frightening.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: June 13, 2014, 02:23:36 pm »

Not at all.  Most, if not all DF players are sadistic in one fashion or another.

As for the opposite of necromancers: That would be a vivomancer-- A sorcerer obsessed with learning the secrets of manipulating life and living things. Not given NEARLY enough coverage in literature. For some reason, people send too much time worrying over the dead-- those that preside over the living are far, FAR more frightening.

Isn't that just like manipulation, just with magic and over a larger range of creatures? Pretty much like an extremely powerful hypnotic or mind control spell?
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: June 14, 2014, 10:47:03 am »

Wow...you people put a lot of thought into this...

At my Fortress, I figure if they can't outrun a snatcher, can't outfight a wolf, can't handle being hit by an arrow, and are not smart enough to keep off the ice before it melts and drowns them, then they don't deserve to be a subject.  I am still waiting for my first generation born within the Fortress to reach adulthood so I can see the results of this 'hands-free survival of the fittest' policy. 

Many of them have almost reached the 12 year point.

If they have a skill, fine.  If not, well, I need haulers and recruits to fill in empty positions. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: June 14, 2014, 11:02:48 am »

Wouldn't the word be "biomancer"? Real scientists are doing pretty much that now, manipulating biological systems and improving them.
In fantasy literature this is not very common, however in biopunk it is the central theme.
Oh, and remember The Island of Doctor Moreau? He was twisting animals into humanoid shapes, does that remind you of something else?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:05:03 am by klefenz »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76