Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 616041 times)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #1110 on: June 14, 2014, 12:42:07 pm »

Furfa- Furries?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 14, 2014, 12:49:07 pm »

Furfa- Furries?

If I could have Dwarfs born with claws that would be cool.  They already have enough hair.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 14, 2014, 03:14:15 pm »

Furfa- Furries?

If I could have Dwarfs born with claws that would be cool.  They already have enough hair.

Realted:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 14, 2014, 03:15:51 pm »

That art work deserves a better font

smallpox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 25, 2014, 02:05:22 pm »

First of all:

Hello to everybody!
I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for two years now but I never bothered with the forums. Ohh, I've been wrong to do so...

OK, back to the topic.
I've managed to read to page 24. In one evening. I've almost died from laughter. Then I skipped to last few pages. I see that now it's about swimming lessons. What happened to the original dog/turkey/bronze colossus child care designs? I just started new fortress and want to do some !!SCIENCE!!. Is there anything I can help with? I'm eager to put on my lab coat and start the experiments.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:09:35 pm by smallpox »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 25, 2014, 03:12:30 pm »

I see that now it's about swimming lessons. What happened to the original dog/turkey/bronze colossus child care designs?

They were a complete success - killed 100% of children in a soul-charringly horrible way. That was the whole purpose of the exercise, after all. If you want super-soldiers, you take adults and stick them into the military for 2-3 years (or cheat via danger-room, which takes about a month for an untouchable supersoldier, with <1% fatality rate).

smallpox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 25, 2014, 03:46:27 pm »

I see. But I'm going for the story. For the sole purpose of creating a full Role Playing Game experience. I need mentally damaged children for my story. And I cannot just make it up so I need some survival rate above zero. My first born (true Rigothzefon citizen, not a immigrant) is just 1 day old so I still have time to prepare the chambers.

Grey570

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Why is there always so much blood?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 25, 2014, 11:48:52 pm »

My god. Armok be praised though this would be too much work to do to all children I look forward to making an elite squad of mutilated sociopaths! This thread is gold.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 26, 2014, 12:40:04 am »

I see that now it's about swimming lessons. What happened to the original dog/turkey/bronze colossus child care designs?
They were a complete success - killed 100% of children in a soul-charringly horrible way. That was the whole purpose of the exercise, after all. If you want super-soldiers, you take adults and stick them into the military for 2-3 years (or cheat via danger-room, which takes about a month for an untouchable supersoldier, with <1% fatality rate).
For the sake of completeness, I'd like to mention cheating via the Shaft of Enlightenment, which takes about one second to get an even more untouchable supersoldier, albeit without the attribute boost that the danger room offers and with about a 50% chance of incapacitation unless heavily armored.

The goal of this experiment, however, was to grind the child's attributes, not their skills. Swimming trains Strength, Agility, Endurance and Spatial Sense, each of which is vital in combat. That makes swimming lessons a viable, if disappointingly non-traumatizing, child care strategy.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:13:56 am by HmH »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 26, 2014, 01:51:30 pm »

I'm sorry I vanished for two months. Little Oddom is still resting happily in her cell, so far as I'm aware. Nothing interesting ever really happens at Valefortress. I'll get back to testing Oddom as soon as possible. I'd nearly forgotten about my plans for her.

On another note entirely, vampirization hasn't yet been considered as a factor in supersoldier creation. I have no idea why. It instantly generates the requisite massive strength and dexterity, which makes it the most efficient way to achieve superdwarvely status. It is necessary to clear the [NO_DRINK] tag to avoid sobriety issues, but that's a simple modding job and (I'd argue) it's more realistic than the alternative.

Tragedy training can be accelerated by providing a visible dropzone to execute goblin captives. Wild animal training would make much more sense under those circumstances because it would provide more rapid combat skill training, which is the only remaining relevant characteristic. Twelve years of this and we'd have vampire child supersoldiers worthy of any battlefield, without any significant exploitation or modding to invalidate the results.

Lastly, I should mention that things are going to change a lot with the next release. Unless Toady gives us an easy way to have smooth walls, feeding the food stockpiles of daycare children will be quite difficult without inadvertently allowing their release. Further, mental attributes are getting a lot more complex. A lot of research will need to be redone.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

smallpox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 26, 2014, 02:42:18 pm »

Do not forget about magma fat reducer!

bunbun39

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: July 08, 2014, 07:42:57 pm »

::) Kids these days... with their parties, and goblin pheremones, and CONSTANT running around.
This ought to make men/decent dwarves out of those brats.

int_ua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: July 14, 2014, 01:38:34 pm »

To resupply food and drinks more easily:
IIRC, in 0.34.11 I had a 1-tile dump zone near a channel and everything was dumped into the channel.
Also, wouldn't it rot during 12 years?

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 14, 2014, 02:21:05 pm »

To resupply food and drinks more easily:
IIRC, in 0.34.11 I had a 1-tile dump zone near a channel and everything was dumped into the channel.
Also, wouldn't it rot during 12 years?
If it falls on a food stockpile it will not rot.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 13, 2016, 09:40:43 pm »

Ooo. A new release. With new mental things to play with. I have a feeling Toady will be either proud or incredibly ashamed.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76