Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 610035 times)

Chakravanti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2011, 01:12:57 pm »

Make every family sacrifice their firstborn to the project. Do it with zero immigrants as an exodus of religious fanatics.  Bonus, Mod to removal the requirement of marriage for reproduction and draft all females to labor and civil nobility and draft all male children to service and give .leadership roles to nobility kin.  Flesh class for eugenics.

Isn't there a way we can leave something of this behind for advbenture mode?  Or mod to adventure with one of these after one goes berzerk and kills everyone and play the last surviving abomination.

With Toady posting necromancy updates, Im getting all giddy about zombie supersoldiers being left behind for adventurers.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:22:41 pm by Chakravanti »

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2011, 01:44:16 pm »

Afaik, pitting animals actually takes the animal care labour now, not animal hauling.

So turn that on for all the science dwarves

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2011, 05:04:18 pm »

Another update.

-Subject A was released, the chamber is too big to be useful, and i need the dogs.

-I retook all the dogs i could in the fortress to retry the experiment, exceptions where SubjectB and SubjectC chambers, which remain sealed behind iron Bridges

-3 new chambers were built, another 2x1 chamber and two 1x1 chambers.

-Two new subjects were put in the new 1x1 chambers. i still have to name them.

-i Tried to pit dogs in the new chambers, but my dwarves still don't want to do it, they have animal hauling, animal care,no other labors to do, a pasture full of dogs just at the turn of the corner and the only thing they dropped in the pit was some puppies and a war dog....i have queued like 15 dogs but no one pits them.

-Subject C is showing progress in Armor user, Dodger and Fighter Skills, also bears a lot of scars...so this part es at least promising.

The only thing, why wont the dwarves pit the dogs?

Last Minute: Subject C died, and Dwarves still don't want to pit the damn dogs, so im done with the experiment in the current fort. I will construct a new one for the test as soon as i find a suitable spot (iron ore, magma, water source, some trees, you know, basic stuff)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:38:08 pm by Yumil »

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2011, 05:49:17 pm »

you should check the passive stats of the dwarves (those that do not change: fast to heal, etc.) and record them.  There will be a high death rate among the kids, but those that survive will be amazing.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2011, 06:36:11 pm »

I think I know a sort of fix for the death-toll rate.
For those with passive healing traits, let them fight for their lives. They can live through it.
The average dwarven child gets one physician visit per month,
And the slow healers get two.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2011, 07:45:29 pm »

I'd rather weed out the weak ones and reuse the cell.
Perhaps a visit from the doctor after a year to stop the potentially deadly injuries (infections, etc.) as well as to get rid of those who never get up from the hospital bed and are functionally useless.  My guess would be, if you aren't giving them regular doctor visits, you'd get 1 super dwarf per every 20-25 kids (taking into account the burninating and whatever other sick experiments geared towards morally and physically ossifying the child).  However, that super dwarf is going to be amazingly kick ass.

TomTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2011, 08:21:34 pm »

i'm almost ready. i have a baby, 1 ownerless dog, and about 3 puppies. so all i need to do is make the sell, and wait for the baby/puppies to get older. I think i will try Yumil's method C. what is the easiest way to get the tes subject and it's tormentors into the room?

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2011, 09:17:34 pm »

Make all of your adult dwarves occupied and send the child to remove a wall next to (to the right of, since the dwarf will remove from the left) a hatch attached to a lever.  Pull the lever.  You can also use this hatch to put in food and booze.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2011, 10:04:34 pm »

I went for a simpler idea-
Make four beds.
Put subjects in.
Put in a restraint with the Hen.
Put in the Nest-Box.
Lock door, drop in food.
Unfortunately, I'm unsure of how well it will preserve..The food sorta didn't all land where I intended..Ah, well. They'll find SOME way to live.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2011, 10:07:01 pm »

Im a stubborn, bearded, booze smelling, mean little man....i mean Dwarf!....

Subject B is a complete failure, no skill grow, no fights, just a boy and his dogs....ill leave the chamber closed and will not resupply it...maybe hunger and despair will create something salvageable.

4 new subjects, i reused C chamber, the dogs didn't left it so i just had to put another child in there, by the way, there is no trace of subject C, i think the dogs ate him...maybe it wasn't the best idea to put another child in there....what im saying? If the dogs tasted Dwarf flesh and liked it, the better, will make the following subjects more....eager to cooperate.

The new chambers are just 1x1 and it seems there is a pit limit of 5 animals, but that's good, 5 are enough to start fights, scar the child and yeah: they increase soldier skills (Fighter, Dodger and Armor user). And il ike the lovely decoration work the dogs do....blood red is never out of fashion.

Making the child enter the chamber is actually easier than i believed at first. Just make a burrow and assign all your adult dwarves and childs you do not want to be part of the project. Order a constructed wall inside the chamber to be deconstructed and, because all your adults are burrowed, a child will take the labor...then use the method of your preference to lock him: hatch to an inferior level, Dwarf water slide, Catapult, or as i do: iron bridges.

another hint, make that spot in the chamber food stockpile, or else the roast will rot.

TomTheDwarf, i await your results, good luck.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2011, 12:25:21 am »

Girl I.H., how is it that this Consciously Callous Crucible Creche of the Case Hardened Soul and your Brazenly Brutal Poultry Powered Trauma Diner aren't on your sig-referenced Catalog of ‼SCIENCE‼?

Are you waiting on more data?  A proven design?  Competing implementations?

Are either already in there and I missed them?
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2011, 01:21:17 am »

And a year after implementation, we got some results.

Subject A was freed and is living the normal dwarf life, Chamber model Alpha, 2x3 with bed is a complete failure. Sadly i didn't install a magma cleanup device, and needed the dogs, so he was lucky....till i decide to test the iron danger room.

Subject B is still alive, some fights with the dogs, and is gaining some skills, but at a really slow rate. he'll stay in his chamber.

Subject C Died and was eaten by the dogs....or at least that's what the scientist thought when the body couldn't be found....

Of the new Test Subjects (none was given an official name), one couldn't take it anymore and went Beserk after 3 months...the dogs tore him apart. The other two are still alive, but skill gain is slow,maybe because the dogs are hurt. Their happiness is stable thanks to legendary roasts and booze. Ill try to pit a new dog into their chambers to see if that can be solved.

A new set of chambers was built, 7 new 2x1 chambers with Masterpiece beds and engraved walls, 3 are already occupied and are being supplied. If the 2x1 size doesn't work, the other 4 will be reduced to 1x1.

Lets see where this take us, i want to make sure the child's can survive and win skills at a reasonable rate before step two, design the Ritual of fire.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2011, 01:52:39 am »

Yumil, if you designate a 1x1 Meeting Area Zone in those larger pits, the dogs and child should crowd the zone and you should get similar results.  Also, if you check your Inventory Screen and you made note of the original Subject C, you'll probably find his/her remains in a stockpile or coffin.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2011, 02:24:11 am »

And a year after implementation, we got some results.

Subject A was freed and is living the normal dwarf life, Chamber model Alpha, 2x3 with bed is a complete failure. Sadly i didn't install a magma cleanup device, and needed the dogs, so he was lucky....till i decide to test the iron danger room.

Subject B is still alive, some fights with the dogs, and is gaining some skills, but at a really slow rate. he'll stay in his chamber.

Subject C Died and was eaten by the dogs....or at least that's what the scientist thought when the body couldn't be found....

Of the new Test Subjects (none was given an official name), one couldn't take it anymore and went Beserk after 3 months...the dogs tore him apart. The other two are still alive, but skill gain is slow,maybe because the dogs are hurt. Their happiness is stable thanks to legendary roasts and booze. Ill try to pit a new dog into their chambers to see if that can be solved.

A new set of chambers was built, 7 new 2x1 chambers with Masterpiece beds and engraved walls, 3 are already occupied and are being supplied. If the 2x1 size doesn't work, the other 4 will be reduced to 1x1.

Lets see where this take us, i want to make sure the child's can survive and win skills at a reasonable rate before step two, design the Ritual of fire.

Keep us posted on the super-soldier experiment. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2011, 02:59:04 am »

"Mummy, can I leave the dog room now?"

"Fuck off!"

"Mummy, no!"
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 76