Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 615173 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2011, 08:30:55 pm »

Is it possible to test this in the Arena, or needs to be done in Dwarf mode?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2011, 08:39:09 pm »

You could use magma and water to create the room but you'd have to have some serious patience to see how well it works long term.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26:15 pm »

Chickens don't graze, unless I'm very much mistaken.
I don't know either; I don't have much empathy for farm animals.
However, it does make sense that a nesting animal would not have to graze.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26:56 pm »

Time for another report on project Cerberus (after some pints of Dwarven ale the name was decided with a stupid bet, let’s just say, you can’t kiss a giant badger and keep your face)

Dishmab died, and with him the head doctor. As I said, I let him out for a medical checkup, made it to the hospital, got diagnosed and got some wound dressing  before returning to his chamber….he did it himself, I was amazed by his spirit, a little guy full of scars, missing a toe and half a ear, just three years old, looking at me straight to the eyes, his gaze so full of a fire burning hotter than magma, and saying: “send me back”

…I agreed and put him back into the chamber, a month passes and its health was deteriorating so I let him out again, and again he walked by himself to the hospital to get another dressing and was dismissed …he walked right back to his chamber, visibly fighting an infection, I myself accompanied him to the deeps   of the fortress. As he walked into the chamber and the iron gates were closing, he looked back at my, smiling and say: “im off to see my brother” didn’t understand that at first.

He died, the infection got him…a little time after that I rechecked the reports, the unnamed 2nd generation subject that died a year ago was his brother….he knew it all along he would die….Im somewhat disturbed by that, but it explained his eagerness to return to the chamber.

Also the fortress is out of dogs, some breeding pairs, but they are mascots and I’m not willing to risk those. Many of the dogs are dead.

But even with these setbacks, the Project must go on.

The last 2nd Generation child reached novice dodger, so the experiment is still hopeful for that batch, and 3rd generation are developing too, I like specially subject 3-4, he’s learning dodge twice as fast as the other subjects with just two dogs….few rabid animals are more effective.

For the two new subjects, as we ran out of dogs, we used birds. …hmmm, gotta think in a name for the bird childs….im going to have some booze.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2011, 11:48:41 pm »

Excellent work! Continue with experimentation.
Now, if only there was some way to cool molten steel directly onto their skin..
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2011, 11:58:41 pm »

I have a way. Teach them swimming. Flood their cage. Dump several bars from a great height. Higher the better. When they impact with the water they'll turn molten. Eventually lower the water level.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2011, 12:09:41 am »

Hmm..
..So, question is, once they've been covered in molten steel, would it actually be of any real use?
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2011, 12:44:07 am »

Probably not.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2011, 01:03:47 am »

Eh.
Anyway, I've begun the construction of the top-secret super-child production facility,
Oilringed.
It's got enough spots for about twenty+ children, plus another 49 dwarves.
Hope that'll be enough..

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2011, 02:58:08 am »

How was the head doctor lost?

Its pretty evident that the chamber area will require a medical bay that is sealed off from rest of the fort, this would of course mean that the doctors would need to be locked in there. Recomend setting up their own farm area, if only to keep the doctors going insane from inactivity

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2011, 06:48:46 am »

Chickens don't graze, unless I'm very much mistaken.
I don't know either; I don't have much empathy for farm animals.
However, it does make sense that a nesting animal would not have to graze.

Chickens don't graze. I've got a room full of them inside my current fortress. What's more, when left alone to hatch their eggs I have seen lots of 5-15 chicks hatched from one setting. And they do get fractious quickly about being crowded, mine fight amongst themselves and they are in a much larger room.

I suggest their use instead of dogs. One hen, a nest box, with a rooster somewhere else in the fortress should do it within a year or two.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2011, 10:11:52 am »

Chickens don't graze. I've got a room full of them inside my current fortress. What's more, when left alone to hatch their eggs I have seen lots of 5-15 chicks hatched from one setting. And they do get fractious quickly about being crowded, mine fight amongst themselves and they are in a much larger room.

I suggest their use instead of dogs. One hen, a nest box, with a rooster somewhere else in the fortress should do it within a year or two.

I confirm that, I turned to egg production for food (and more devious plans) and the fowl is nice to keep and farm. Fighting occurs frequently given the appropriate space. Include a nest box and there should also be food for littel baby. Quite practical.
Does the hen need no rooster in the same room? I am somewhat puzzled by the procreation physics.
Note for embark: A single capybara can foil your plans of the Adam (turkey gobbler) and Eve (turke hen) breeding project. Bring Claus and Erica too.
OP: Awesome hilarious idea.

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2011, 10:26:26 am »

The head Doctor took a fun ride in the water slide to a candy spear, im glad he survived for a couple of months with almost every organ in his body broken, served ad a training dummy for his replacement.

As for project Cerberus and its sister project which  still have to be named.

Tartarus type chambers have proven more effective in the developming of test Subjects, the 1x1 space provides a faster rate of learning with fewer animals, in fact, two dogs are doing the work of five in shorter time, im preparing new chambers Tartarus type for further research. Elysium Type Chambers provide solid results, and are better at keeping subjects happy, with engraved walls, floors, and a masterwork bed.

The 2nd generation is no more, The last Subject refused to eat, drink or even sleep for a really long time, it was not a surprise when we heard the incessant cackling and mumbling coming from the chamber,  and realized he went mad….a sad result as he was the second best. The report says the subject was very Drowsy before succumbing to madness. The chamber will remain sealed for the moment.

3rd Generation looks promising although, subject Cerberus 3-4 (C-34) is rapildly raising and hasn’t received any type of great wound, the rest of 3rd generation is also steadily showing progress. Subjects C-31 to C-35 are stable.

The bird childs are not that bad either, development is slower, but also sure. The child have no wounds yet so birds are safer. There are two Elysium type chambers empty and the peahen just hatched more keets. its time for more Science...

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2011, 11:35:59 am »

I see..
..So, based on these results, more dogs give more danger, and less skill-development.
I've set up tests for a slightly larger chamber, using cats and birds. We'll see how it plays out.

set

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2011, 12:05:42 pm »

I read the experiment log like a SCP one. I like where this is going.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 76