Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 616078 times)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2011, 12:17:34 pm »

You know, this project'll be 10x cooler when we can start sending invasions.
Imagine it; you've got Urist McJohnson leading a crossbow-dwarf squad, with Urist McSuperSoldier keeping the enemies from getting too close.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2011, 05:10:35 pm »

Sounds like a sound premise in need of calibration. It's all about finding an animal with a nice balance between difficult to kill and incapable of eating children.

Edit: OOOOH! Just occured to me that I have 105 cave crocodile hatchlings that insist on following their mothers in tight balls and killing each other before they grow up however they're so small their attacks on dwarves have yet to cause anything more serious than bruised fat. As soon as I get some children I'll lock them in a room with the evil little bastards.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:13:13 pm by Broseph Stalin »

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2011, 05:12:57 pm »

I think we found a way to train spartans...

TomTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2011, 05:36:01 pm »

o think Yumil is our official tester now. i mean he has already done over a dozen tests, yet i  haven't gotten any in. I'll still try this, but i see no real reason to report my findings. (i'm just going to use one of yumil's designs anyways).

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2011, 05:57:21 pm »

I am So trying this
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2011, 06:09:01 pm »

"Place a child into the box.  Creative abuse of levers, wall deconstructions, and hatches can be used."

What do you mean by this? how do wall deconstructions, hatches and levers help in isolating babies, who will not be dropped by their mothers.

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 18, 2011, 06:10:00 pm »

This has been a hard period…..

Most of third generation subjects are just letting themselves die. It all started with bird boy 1. The subject didn't got any sleep in a very long time, maybe he wanted a bed? and after that he also stopped eating and drinking. A few days after that was declared mad as soon as he began spouting some nonsense about Elves dancing with Dwarves...i think im glad to lose this one.

C-35, the newest subject was next.when she was send to the chamber she cried a lot, more so than any other test subject, and the crying didn't stop for a good time. when she finally settled down we thought everything was going to be fine, but she wasn't eating or sleeping at all. Not so long we found her writing in the walls of the chamber with her own blood, letting the dogs bite her to drawn it. She was declared melancholic the following day.

And the rest of third generation Subjects are developing the same problems : They don’t eat, sleep or drink even when their status shows drowsiness, hunger and thirst. The high Command is deliberant whether to watch how long this goes, or pull the plug and let the subjects out.

What’s worse, after the death of 2nd generation and the first ones of the 3rd we were sure that the problem lied in the reduced space of the Tartarus chamber, but we were proven wrong when the subjects in the Elysium chambers started to show the same symptoms.

Also there is a dozen of dogs in the main Hall, why aren’t those pastured or pitied? or even appear in the animals report?Why the birds aren’t pitied too? I have two new subjects awaiting implantation of animals but no one does it.

The subjects letting themselves die, and the Dwarves don’t want to even touch the animals, do they feel guilt over the dead of the test subjects? They don’t want to take part in a questionable project?....maybe I should pit them all in the fun slide and flood the fortress with magma…

But alas, we need the resources of the fortress, is well defended, supplied and has enough dwarf power. Many times the thought of sailing off to another land and built a true lab assaulted me, but I and my team had grown so attached to Dragonmouth now.

I will save this project! If the little guys want to die, then so be it, there have been a lot of births this year….new test subjects….

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 18, 2011, 06:27:18 pm »

Also there is a dozen of dogs in the main Hall, why aren’t those pastured or pitied? or even appear in the animals report?Why the birds aren’t pitied too? I have two new subjects awaiting implantation of animals but no one does it.

The subjects letting themselves die, and the Dwarves don’t want to even touch the animals, do they feel guilt over the dead of the test subjects? They don’t want to take part in a questionable project?....maybe I should pit them all in the fun slide and flood the fortress with magma…

I think Toady programmed the Dwarves to feel shame.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #173 on: August 18, 2011, 06:56:23 pm »

I think Toady programmed the Dwarves to feel shame.

Then why won't they put new clothes on after their old ones fall off?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2011, 07:39:38 pm »

He only programmed in shame, not intelligence.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2011, 07:42:51 pm »

have you been engraving the walls of the chambers?
You may want to make a mist generator in it as well
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2011, 08:13:17 pm »

Darn it...The tests are not going well, then.
We'll have to do some additional testing, for padding against the insanity.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2011, 10:29:21 pm »

Putting in a bed would be a great idea for happiness purposes. Especially if you encrust it a lot first.

... You didn't, say, forget to unforbid the food and drink in the quantum food stockpiles, did you? That would be a Fun mistake.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2011, 10:41:54 pm »

m still baffled by the way dwarves refuse to pit animals, because of that the new chambers are still empty and the new test subjects still awaiting. I told them many times to gather the dogs, or at least count them, or to chase the birds and put them in a cage near the lab, but the labors just look back and say: “meh, we don’t want to do it”

But even without the support of the workforce, we were able to get two new test subjects, reusing some of the chambers. Subject Cerberus 4-1 got one of the first three chambers, the one belonging to subject C, and Subject Bird boy 3-1 got Elysium chamber 6.

Cerberus project 3rd generation subjects, if they live to see the battlefield, I want a front row to see them fight. They don’t fear death; they call her by many names. They don’t eat till they are about to faint, don’t drink till their last drop of blood is spilled, and let themselves fall in exhaustion before sleeping, and keep the mental stability of a normal dwarf, fine, nothing less, nothing more. The only side effect is that I have to keep close watch in them to avoid them overdoing it.

And I thought subject C was a star, Bah, and that Dishmab was a really good one, there is not comparison, these ones are the new stars of the project, if I ever resolve the animal strike and can make new chambers I want the next Subjects to be like them.

The new Bird boys, B-21 and B-22 don’t show any progress at all, but they’re new yet, maybe some more months and we’ll have some results, but really, birds are slower till now.

And finally, some visuals of the project:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those are the chambers; the ones to the upper left are the first ones, the prototypes. The four below are the Tartarus type chambers. The Chambers to the right are Elysium type chambers, except for the one on the bottom left, which is a the Tartarus type prototype.

This is Subject Cerberus 3-4, also called Test4 of Subject C34, the poster girl for the project.  She has the highest stats for the project and was the first one to also snap out of the not eating, sleeping or drinking nosense.

Things are looking well, I hope the next report to be this good.

hm….mist generator can be murder to space reality continuum…but I feel compelled to try…

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2011, 10:58:09 pm »

Just gotta ask:
What was that program you were using? I want it.
Anyway, I could use some more in-depth schematics for the Tatarus Type chambers.
..As well as a good guide for how to attract the kiddies to my Fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 76