Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 615640 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #375 on: December 23, 2011, 05:50:48 pm »

Have we tried stuffing more than one dwarven child in each cell? More crowding, more food needed, but it should solve the mental attribute loss (b/c of communication skills).

It means each child gets one *best* friend, which might be undesirable. (And I think this route practically guarantees legendary social skills)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 23, 2011, 06:09:12 pm »

What, you want (future) soldiers to have friends?
Do you know what happens to a dwarf when their friends die? They trigger tantrum spirals, that's what.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 24, 2011, 12:30:15 am »

Do you know what happens to a dwarf when their friends die? They trigger tantrum spirals, that's what.

Not if your force feed them delicious roasts and alcohol like some vast force-feeding machine ultimately ending in the mass production of the finest dwarf liver pate...i think i'm missing the point.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Sroge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 24, 2011, 02:17:10 am »

Instead of reading through 26 pages, I'm just going to ask:

Has this worked yet for anyone?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 24, 2011, 04:20:55 am »

Not if your military force has spent their entire lives in a small box constantly full of creatures dying, utterly traumatizing them.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Captain Mayhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 24, 2011, 05:41:14 am »

Not if your military force has spent their entire lives in a small box constantly full of creatures dying, utterly traumatizing them.
Well we wouldn't want out soldiers to be mentally healthy* thanks to having company, now would we?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 24, 2011, 12:30:09 pm »

Instead of reading through 26 pages, I'm just going to ask:

Has this worked yet for anyone?

Limited success thus far- we've got a proof of concept and some interesting side effects, but nobody has achieved significant stat and skill growth yet.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 25, 2011, 05:32:07 am »

Im going to try this but for the first 6 years or so i will have them in a room with automatic spike traps (training speers posibly) so they will gain doging skills befor meating animal.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 06:07:04 am by sackhead »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 25, 2011, 09:58:08 am »

Im going to try this but for the first 6 years or so i will have them in a room with automatic spike traps (training speers posibly) so they will gain doging skills befor meating animal.
Probably not going to work, I used a danger room in my 0 metal stoneage fortress and it killed six out of ten dwarves. Without hard armor to cover the torso a training spear eventually bruises a lung and then eventually bruises the other. I imagine it'll just be worse with children.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 25, 2011, 10:23:24 am »

Probably not going to work, I used a danger room in my 0 metal stoneage fortress and it killed six out of ten dwarves. Without hard armor to cover the torso a training spear eventually bruises a lung and then eventually bruises the other. I imagine it'll just be worse with children.
So in other words... *Taps calculator* around 2-3/10 children will be legendary fighters at adulthood, and around 1-2/10 will have trouble breathing.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 26, 2011, 01:49:33 pm »

So in other words... *Taps calculator* around 2-3/10 children will be legendary fighters at adulthood, and around 1-2/10 will have trouble breathing.

I only used that danger room for a minute or so at a time, two bruised lungs causes suffocation very reliably.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 26, 2011, 02:47:29 pm »

Don't you mean that around 8-9/10 will have trouble breathing? :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 26, 2011, 04:12:53 pm »

Don't you mean that around 8-9/10 will have trouble breathing? :D
Depending on your point of view, yes.

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 26, 2011, 05:16:55 pm »

This is basically makeing a mini sparta. I like it.

Kheto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 26, 2011, 07:10:03 pm »

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but why not train the dogs they were trapped with into war dogs, then assign them to the released warrior?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 76