Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 615175 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #420 on: December 28, 2011, 12:49:28 pm »

Cleaning without soap is better than cleaning without soap?

What?
Started to say something then changed it halfway through and forgot to correct the first part, fix'd.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 28, 2011, 03:36:24 pm »

Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Seriously, though. This is an awesome idea.

can i sig that? i really want to sig that
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #422 on: December 28, 2011, 07:05:18 pm »

Question about turkeys, (well, birds in general... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FXSnoy71Q4), I recall something about flyers never pathing to somewhere they couldn't walk to?
Would an open top pit allow birds in and out, while still keeping a dwarf trapped in the current version?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 28, 2011, 09:45:13 pm »

Flying creatures will sometimes flee from enemies via flight, but are otherwise always grounded.  So I do not believe the turkey will leave the pit - not to mention that turkey are a flightless bird.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 29, 2011, 01:34:45 am »

I still can't believe this thread is still alive.  Dwarven Sparta shall live on!

Is anyone conducting serious testing forts right now?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 29, 2011, 01:43:11 am »

Flying creatures will sometimes flee from enemies via flight, but are otherwise always grounded.  So I do not believe the turkey will leave the pit - not to mention that turkey are a flightless bird.

Now I am even more confused about that flock of turkeys I found on the top of a three story building across from my house. This has nothing to do with the game, I'm just now worried about being hunted by a gang of vigilante ranger turkeys for my years of hunting/eating them.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 29, 2011, 02:04:18 am »

Keep calm and carry on. They are only concered with those who kept there members bodies around for more than a few hours after thanksgiving meal. No biggie if you did not save anything.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 29, 2011, 02:16:34 am »

Turkeys are not flightless.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 29, 2011, 03:54:33 am »

DF turkeys are completely flightless, but not all real-world turkeys are.
Domestic turkeys are pretty much flightless, but wild turkeys have a short flight range and prefer to stay on the ground unless evading a predator/other behaviors I've forgotten.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 29, 2011, 10:18:09 pm »

A patriot has... offered, her child.  Kogan Logemikal is one year old, and has been sequestered into a small bedroom that he has been told contains ponies, sunshine, and rainbows.  It does not.  It contains one bed, one food pile - emphasis on the 'pile' - and one nest box.  Said next box was going to be occupied by a young turkey, but was taken up by a mere guineahen.  This has been allowed, as there is insufficient food for the child this will be a mere test run to ascertain the damage a small bird can perform on an infant child.

May Armok forsake this fortress, for I fear his wrath should He observe too closely...

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 29, 2011, 10:54:48 pm »

DF turkeys are completely flightless, but not all real-world turkeys are.
Domestic turkeys are pretty much flightless, but wild turkeys have a short flight range and prefer to stay on the ground unless evading a predator/other behaviors I've forgotten.

Great, now I need two turkey creatures in my game. :P To the Raws!
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 30, 2011, 11:20:50 am »

Hmm... I'd be interested in seeing how much a child can improve his/her combat skills before being drafted as an adult. I may need to start up a second fortress for the purpose of !!SCIENCE!!.

This will no doubt result in the shedding of insane amounts of blood. Armok will be pleased. Blood for the blood god!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:25:32 am by Elifre »
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 30, 2011, 01:07:44 pm »

I've been trying to find out if being hit by water is the same thing as being cleaned without soap by covering a dorf with armor everywhere except the feet, allowing one to be cleaned with water and the other to be doused with water repeating and seeing the rate of infection in each group. So far I have discovered that a copper spear will pierce two layers of iron armor and a lung.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 30, 2011, 01:42:32 pm »

Well, in my turkeybox (which is actually turkey now) the chicks promptly massacred their mother and resumed fighting amongst themselves, dealing low damage to each other and the child, who currently has a single thin scar on the upper body from a lucky cut, and is dabbling in fighting, dodging, wrestling, and armor user - although the child is naked he has still somehow developed armor user skill.  Strangely, every counterattack from the child seems to be a grab, hence the wrestling, but immediately releases.

The 3x5 wall section and 1x3 walkable area is covered in turkey and dwarf blood.

Coincidentally, I also had a cat problem.  I pitted them all into the same 1x1, and they all killed each other except one, who is gigantic and bears many scars.  I like this cat.

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 30, 2011, 02:01:45 pm »

I forgot to mention that there was a mist generator dumping water on the statue north of the pile-o-badgers, so mist doesn't prevent infection, at least not outright.

I changed all the PET_EXOTIC tags to PET to get around the dungeon master bug.  If everything was working correctly, you couldn't use badgers until after the DM arrived, which may be later than you'd like.  On the other hand, getting badgers isn't a problem if they live in your biome.  Badgers are easy to catch and breed at a phenomenal rate.

Two thumbs up for the gigantic scarred cat.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 76