Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 614556 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #450 on: December 30, 2011, 10:52:01 pm »

Wow, headshot by a poult? That is unfortunate. On a side note, it looks like he could use booze variety in his pit.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 30, 2011, 10:58:23 pm »

Doesn't matter, he was ecstatic most of the time and was due for a caravan-load of booze anyways.

I've had a moment, here, were my dwarves just make me angry.  I let my animal population get a bit out of control, and left the meeting zone active in the child pit.  Open the door, "HEY EVERYBODY!  Let's got SIT THE FUCK DOWN in this 1x1 area where the overlord is trying to clean out and try deadly deadly science again!"  I swear if I'd had a magma pump active at the time...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 30, 2011, 11:00:47 pm »

So a baby turkey killed him? Maybe instead of training super soldiers we should just use turkey bombs.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #453 on: December 30, 2011, 11:04:05 pm »

I now read Girlinhat's post in GladOS's voice.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 30, 2011, 11:04:48 pm »

It did take about two years to happen.  Besides, my catbomb is looking much more promising right now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NINJA: Try Cave's.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 30, 2011, 11:22:44 pm »

Doesn't matter, he was ecstatic most of the time and was due for a caravan-load of booze anyways.

I've had a moment, here, were my dwarves just make me angry.  I let my animal population get a bit out of control, and left the meeting zone active in the child pit.  Open the door, "HEY EVERYBODY!  Let's got SIT THE FUCK DOWN in this 1x1 area where the overlord is trying to clean out and try deadly deadly nerotoxin again!"  I swear if I'd had a magma pump active at the time...

Fixed for kaenneth.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 30, 2011, 11:36:59 pm »

That was a really bad fix.  You don't seem to grasp the content of the words you use at all, you just associate "this is Glados so I'll just crowbar this word in here somewhere."

Otherwise:
Spoiler: Thikud-Pre (click to show/hide)

EDIT: 1x2, 1 bed one food pile + meeting zone.  3 of my freshest puppies have been added - I intend to check the difference in damage between puppies and dogs.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 31, 2011, 12:03:28 am »

Oh Dwarf Fortress, if ever there were a game that provoked more kafkaesque situations, I've not heard of it.

I haven't seen anything further in this thread regarding Spartan One's loss of the good memory attribute (page 21.) If it's shown that we have the ability to influence these traits in the game, I'd consider it the crowning achievement of this thread. Supersoldiers are one thing, but Ubermensch Uberzwerge? Imagine a workforce tailored to their specific tasks! We could use it to apply science towards figuring out what (beyond history and misery) induces specific types of engravings! We could prevent the formation of relationships, and inevitable tantrum spirals, through the elimination of all empathy and sociability!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 31, 2011, 12:14:12 am »

Welp, now we've eroded Spartan One's memory, and reduced Kogan's intellect AND empathy! If we can deduce why, maybe we could reverse the process if we felt the inclination.

It would be interesting to see whether there is a significant, measurable decrease in a dwarf's ability to make friends if his various social stats are low. If so, this could potentially be a benefit to the future squads of Super-Soldiers.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 31, 2011, 01:00:02 am »

It seems we can make stats go down through degradation, but I don't know of any good way to make them go up.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 31, 2011, 01:16:00 am »

It seems we can make stats go down through degradation, but I don't know of any good way to make them go up.

Ah, c'est la vie: entropy. Well, I'm sure there must be some use in degrading them. Any idea if it can be targeted? Perhaps we could still eliminate sociability through isolation.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 31, 2011, 01:27:10 am »

You could revert all or most stats via isolation, however skills will only rust and quickly regain, so the effect is minimal as their existing skills will return while their personality traits may have little to no effect on their actual likeability.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 31, 2011, 01:41:31 am »

Oops, when I was saying sociability, I didn't mean social skills. I was talking about personality traits like "enjoys the company of others" or "is very friendly". Are we sure these don't actually affect their ability to form friendships and other relations? It'd likely be pretty easy to test; a simple application of statistical analysis.

Or wait, "good memory" is an attribute and not a personality trait, isn't it? Well, there's still the empathy attribute we might degrade.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 31, 2011, 01:51:04 am »

Yes, traits cannot be moved, with the exception of "doesn't really care about anything anymore" can be added - nothing else can be changed.  Your "soul attributes" like memory and intellect and sense of their own position can be changed, as these are mere stats.

If we could shape a dwarf's personality, then, well, I'd be terrified of that power to actually change who a dwarf was inside.  We'd be beyond mere evil masterminds, we'd be into the realm of Orwell and other Very Dark Areas.  I don't think we could be trusted with such dark power.  I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.  Give us a mermaid and a patch of dry land, and mothers are trying to get their children off of the computer and into church.  We really, really don't need the power to change personalities.  That's just... that leaves a bad taste in MY mouth...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 31, 2011, 02:26:54 am »

Think of all the possibilities...the capability to turn Dwarves into mindless drones. 

What should be degraded in order to achieve this? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 76