Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 615159 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #465 on: December 31, 2011, 03:43:31 am »

Still a long way from the super-soldiers, sadly.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 31, 2011, 05:01:23 am »

I've been thinking of starting a fort dedicated to ‼science‼ on attribute degrading. Now I feel like I have no choice.

Especially after
If we could shape a dwarf's personality, then, well, I'd be terrified of that power to actually change who a dwarf was inside.  We'd be beyond mere evil masterminds, we'd be into the realm of Orwell and other Very Dark Areas.  I don't think we could be trusted with such dark power.  I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.  Give us a mermaid and a patch of dry land, and mothers are trying to get their children off of the computer and into church.  We really, really don't need the power to change personalities.  That's just... that leaves a bad taste in MY mouth...

I am a horrible person...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 31, 2011, 05:15:54 am »

I hope there will be a feature added so you can designate any creature in the playing field for experimentation, even a dwarf.
Then you can enter a Aim/Wrestle like menu where you can choose "Incision at lower body" for example, to spill out their guts, then "draw fluid from: guts" and they will take a sample.
This way a player with sufficient medical knowlegde could save his favorite dwarf from things that NPC dwarf docters cant. Or horribly mutilate his prisoners to a point where they have no feelings and send them to guard the deepest part of your dungeon. If you could inject different substances into people too, it would rock. Like causing a psychosis to a useless immigrant to change his personality.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 31, 2011, 09:24:53 am »

I hope there will be a feature added so you can designate any creature in the playing field for experimentation, even a dwarf.
Then you can enter a Aim/Wrestle like menu where you can choose "Incision at lower body" for example, to spill out their guts, then "draw fluid from: guts" and they will take a sample.
This way a player with sufficient medical knowlegde could save his favorite dwarf from things that NPC dwarf docters cant. Or horribly mutilate his prisoners to a point where they have no feelings and send them to guard the deepest part of your dungeon. If you could inject different substances into people too, it would rock. Like causing a psychosis to a useless immigrant to change his personality.

Brilliant! It would be like playing that game where you need to pull random things out of a hobo clown and not touch the edges...OPERATION! That's it. Except it doesn't BLEEP, it screams. I'm going to go for a cold shower. And by that i mean slake my own lust for torture on some goblins with a scalpel and half a bottle of rooster sauce.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 01, 2012, 08:58:45 pm »

I shudder to think of the !!SCIENCE!! that will accompany the personality rewrite. I also laugh, but mostly it's shuddering.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 02, 2012, 02:41:17 am »

It's fairly simple: DFHack a number of dwarves to have the exact same personality attributes, split them into multiple groups and close all of them into small units, supplied from above. One or two control groups who do nothing but socialize, the others socialize and occasionally see an animal/baby fall into the room and explode, traumatizing them. Some may be alone, watching the animals die just for them. Then, later, we check if their attributes have changed and how. Compare all the test applicants to one template dwarf.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 02, 2012, 02:58:25 am »

It's fairly simple: DFHack a number of dwarves to have the exact same personality attributes, split them into multiple groups and close all of them into small units, supplied from above. One or two control groups who do nothing but socialize, the others socialize and occasionally see an animal/baby fall into the room and explode, traumatizing them. Some may be alone, watching the animals die just for them. Then, later, we check if their attributes have changed and how. Compare all the test applicants to one template dwarf.

It's unsettling how...surgical and precise it all is. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Vahir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 02, 2012, 11:52:23 pm »

Or, as an alternative, have an entirely new mode, in which you can modify the world as you see fit. Your fortress is too small? Add more dwarves! Want to make a noble suffer? Remove his esophage!
Yeah, used to be like you.  "Don't draft the mothers" and "Make sure that mood gets fulfilled!" and "He's tantruming, better make him happier and not order him killed" or "Leave the gate open!  The woodcutter is still running away from the ambush!" Then I started throwing children to their deaths in an ornate glass display case in the middle of the dining hall

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 03, 2012, 12:05:55 am »

Or, as an alternative, have an entirely new mode, in which you can modify the world as you see fit. Your fortress is too small? Add more dwarves! Want to make a noble suffer? Remove his esophage!

Bah, why stop at removing? It'd be even more fun to be able to add organs. I say we remove the noble's guts and replace it with sheep guts, and see how long he lives.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 03, 2012, 02:52:44 am »

This makes me despair for the fate of humanity.

That's why I love reading this thread.
What happened to the turkey idea, anyway?
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 03, 2012, 04:51:01 am »

This makes me despair for the fate of humanity.

I have some good bad news: we're a minority.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 05, 2012, 12:52:15 pm »

Experimenting on which animal will better fit for utterly traumatizing babies, covering them on scars, and eventually recolt a (you hope) dreadful, wrecked creature you plan to unleash on your ennemies.

Never in any world someone tried this before.

You are so sick and mad you put maddest scientists to shame.

I love you guys.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 06, 2012, 12:07:05 pm »

Has anyone actually tried this yet? We just seem to be discussing mods idears now...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 06, 2012, 12:26:03 pm »

I'll try this, and will frequently update what I get. I have actually tried a lesser form of this

So I need a bed, statues, engravings, a quantum stockpile of prepared meals and booze, a child, and a female dog (or egg-layer, or cavy) in a room ?

And next version, not only this, but we will be able to make them BOTH vampires and werebadgers, inflict them with all sorts of psycho serums (who cares about mental stats other than Spatial Sense, Kinesthetic Sense and Willpower for a warrior ?) and release them on our enemies ?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 06, 2012, 12:45:38 pm »

Good! Finally seeing some !!SCIENCE!! around here.

P.S. our warriers, as a final test get to band together... against a forgotten beast! I know its a bit pansty, but the real challenge will come onece their in our army  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 76