Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 615968 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #585 on: March 12, 2012, 12:37:55 pm »

Only one animal ? If there's only a dwarf and an animal, they most likely won't fight.

Now maybe drop a few wild flesh balls in the child care ? Mwahahahahaha !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 12, 2012, 12:45:40 pm »

I believe one child and one animal would, if you declared a meeting zone.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 12, 2012, 12:47:18 pm »

Worth investigating... i'll gonna make an 1x1 room for this.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 12, 2012, 12:59:38 pm »

Aaaaand it doesn't work.

Needed to build a 1x1 bedroom to attract the child, dropped food and a dog on it, designated it a meeting zone. Dog isn't attacking at all.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:01:09 pm by Naryar »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 12, 2012, 01:26:57 pm »

triple post

However, the one-tile design does seem to work better. I should do XXScienceXX because I have a feeling that the more animals in there, the less the child has chances of being attacked, since I do believe angry tame animals attack a random creature in their tile, and the more animals in there, the less chance the child has to be targeted. But more animals = more attacks, and if my probability calculi are right number of animals don't change much. So we just need to add enough animals to trigger violence.

The best animals should be large and harmless. Like a GDS without pincers and stinger (good luck getting that in fortress mode though), a giant earthworm, a flesh ball...

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 12, 2012, 01:38:51 pm »

i think a 5x5 room with animals Pastured/CHained in the edges should work, they wont attack each other
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 12, 2012, 01:39:43 pm »

Something tells me you didn't think that one through very far.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 12, 2012, 05:28:33 pm »

Oh dear. I tried this with thralls and such, but...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 12, 2012, 08:31:00 pm »

If absolutely nothing else, you should end up with a scarred 12 year old with a tolerance for tragedy and skills slightly higher than the common migrant.

And possibly horribly deteriorated mental attributes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 12, 2012, 08:33:00 pm »

Very likely deteriorated, but I do wonder how normal children compare, since they never labor either.  Do the castaway science husks lose attributes, or have we just not noticed normal child decay?

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 12, 2012, 10:18:34 pm »

Now, if we cannot use only one child and one animal to fight, and one child with multiple animals results in animal infighting, can we stack multiple children with one animal? I have found quantum meeting halls seem to angry up the unpastured animals despite no other animals being around.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 12, 2012, 10:37:50 pm »

But then you risk friendship - or worse, marriage!  That's almost the exact opposite of what we need.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 12, 2012, 10:41:12 pm »

triple post

However, the one-tile design does seem to work better. I should do XXScienceXX because I have a feeling that the more animals in there, the less the child has chances of being attacked, since I do believe angry tame animals attack a random creature in their tile, and the more animals in there, the less chance the child has to be targeted. But more animals = more attacks, and if my probability calculi are right number of animals don't change much. So we just need to add enough animals to trigger violence.

The best animals should be large and harmless. Like a GDS without pincers and stinger (good luck getting that in fortress mode though), a giant earthworm, a flesh ball...

You could try having a bigger animal with a less powerful attack, might require some modding.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 13, 2012, 02:36:03 am »

I think, to avoid anything to graphic and horrifying, write it from the perspective of a scientist or doctor, overseeing the experiment.

But that's just my personal taste, let's see what you can write.

Will do in about four days, uni's getting in the way of stuff. :P

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 13, 2012, 03:09:40 am »

But then you risk friendship - or worse, marriage!  That's almost the exact opposite of what we need.
That is? We could drag some eugenics in this as well. My current project involved several rooms with paired children, but little buggers messed it up and now all rooms except one have a brother and sister inside. Also it's a complete pain to organize animal pitting to more than a couple of such rooms.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 76