Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 615541 times)

sketchyd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #645 on: March 21, 2012, 03:25:43 pm »

So I have a cell that includes a magma pool in the middle, and then I cause something above that pool to fall in, which will spray all over the inhabitants?

Something like this:

_[]_     - rock to be dropped into the pool
  | @    - support and prisoner
-~--    - magma and floor

Does that look right?

And then I have water wired up to put him out once he's burned enough?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 21, 2012, 05:44:10 pm »

I believe that would work, and water would be very important to stop the flames. Burrows might help if you know how to use them.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 21, 2012, 05:45:35 pm »

What's the goal of the magma mist?  Is de-fattification still a desirable procedure?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 21, 2012, 05:49:47 pm »

I believe 'Dwarven Liposuction' is still desirable, though not sure. I'm pretty sure Toady intends to fix the 'fat only burning' bit soon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 21, 2012, 07:21:53 pm »

I believe it's mainly lulz.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 21, 2012, 08:03:57 pm »

The image it conjures is pretty freakin' cool though- a crispy dwarf with layer upon layer of muscle and no fat.

That'd strike fear into opponents and then some.

sketchyd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 21, 2012, 10:41:53 pm »

For me the goal is a system that does something I can't do otherwise in game.  I can kill goblins pretty good with traps and dudes, but up til now, I had no way of creating super soldiers.

Once my experiment failed, I released the circus, and wiped out my 4 yr old fort.  The last to go was the vampire I chained up as an ambush detector.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 23, 2012, 12:50:33 am »

Has 34 significantly changed how temperatures work? I recently had an entire trade caravan evaporate while walking over my open magma pipe bridge, animals, traders, wagon and all goods vanished completely in a cloud of smoke. I recall having similar setups in 31 where things worked out ok. Oddly enough my dwarves and animals(i think) arent bothered by it.
If so then magma misting might not work correctly anymore.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Connermc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 23, 2012, 08:37:02 pm »

(*) Stopped young animals from lashing out

Will this be a significant change or can it be countered by just throwing more animals in?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 25, 2012, 10:29:52 pm »

(*) Stopped young animals from lashing out

Will this be a significant change or can it be countered by just throwing more animals in?
I hope that doesn't count dwarves because it would totally defeat half the purpose of 'child care'
I think the point of that bugfix was to stop your fort falling intoi a tantrum spiral from a single animal giving birth to a large litter in a confined space causing instant uncontrollable violence in your dining room.
Or maybe i'm just imagining it.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 28, 2012, 09:55:53 am »

I guess it only really affects young animals, so you'll have to wait for them to become mature.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 28, 2012, 10:08:06 am »

Dwarven children never lash out.  Their role is on the receiving end of punishment, to train their dodging, endurance, and build up a layer of fashionable scar tissue.

Child animals no longer lash out, which should prevent turkey from suffering instant death when they lay a clutch of 20 eggs that instantly rip the mother apart.

This means that a nest box used as Childcare training will now suffer 1 year of delay until the chicks mature.  Otherwise, you just use adult animals instead of young animals.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 28, 2012, 06:46:46 pm »

Is there any way you could put the game postings in the first post? I saw this on the halls of legends but not sure where it starts.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 28, 2012, 06:51:15 pm »

Some results from my experiment:
Werepanda vs vampire vs war dog vs 4 child test subjects:

I originally wanted a werepanda vs vampire deathmatch, but as the testing chamber was prepared, the children followed their hauler mothers and were accidentally locked inside, along with the war dog.

- the war dog was instantly bitten in half and bled to death
- the vampire got a broken elbow, was bitten by the werepanda, not cursed
- test subject 1 got a broken knee, was bitten and got the panda monster curse
- test subject 2 got a few bruises, was bitten, not cursed
- test subject 3 slept happily through the whole episode, uninjured
- test subject 4 got a fatal head injury and died

Once the werepanda was released from its cage, the test subjects freaked out and ran all over the test chamber. They had to defend themselves from the werepanda's attacks and break its wrestling moves, but they also attacked the werepanda actively.

The werepanda obviously was too deadly opponent, but I wanted to see if the curse would pass on to the test subjects. Only test subject 1 received the panda monster curse.

The interesting part was when the werepanda transformed back into its dwarven form. The test subjects continued attacking it, and the weredwarf just passively received the beating:

Spoiler: Combat report (click to show/hide)

Test subject 2 got 4 pages of combat reports and killed the weredwarf, but still has dabbling skills.

Test subject 1 had the least action, but most of it was wrestling moves, and is now a novice fighter.

Conclusion: weredwarves make excellent living punching bags nannies for most time of the month.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 28, 2012, 07:02:47 pm »

Yeah, but when it's "that time of the month" they have really bad PMS.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 76