Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 616075 times)

spineyrequiem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #735 on: June 05, 2012, 11:39:34 am »

What level of training have they got? And what age are they? Are they husks/thralls/werebeasts/vampires? Although I'm pretty sure the idea was to only let them out when they're adults, since child soldiers don't fit into the armour.

Ooh, another questions about husks/thralls: Can we make them put on armour and use weapons? If we can't, their effectiveness is somewhat reduced...

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 05, 2012, 12:20:31 pm »

Wait no more Girlinhat.
  |
  |
  V
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 06, 2012, 12:02:03 am »

Thralls are living creatures, minus everything that makes them a creature.  They are alive, they are not undead, they are truly living creatures, except all the things that distinguish a creature from a corpse, they lack.  They feel no pain, they do not breathe, nor bleed, nor tire, nor thirst, nor hunger, feel no pain or sorry, no joy and take no pleasure even in such things as mist.  They suffer no order and no chaos.  They are, truly, neither alive nor dear, nor really undead.  A Husk is, at its core, a void.  A sin against god in the purest form.  Not simply a blight like a dwarven fort will be named "a sin against nature" but in every sense of the word the Husk is a sin, something which defies nature and embodies everything that should never be.

A Husk will never breath, eat, rest, or suffer fear.  They make an ultimate killing force which simply cannot be stopped.
A Husk ignored all orders, they will not don armor nor remove it, and cannot be controlled except by extremely physical means of walls and locked doors.
A Husk is NOT undead.  It is not a zombie.  It still counts as a living creature, and as such will eventually age and die - perhaps the only true way to defeat a Husk is simply to wall them off behind the bowels of the mountain and try your best to forget that they sit there staring at the wall and craving your death.  Never stopping, never tiring, never becoming distracted, the Husk has one, single, universally persistent thought - to kill that which lives and remove life from the world.  Even as they sit sealed behind the walls, they only linger there.  Only a layer of piled rubble and their forgotten ability to remove constructions keeps you safe as they spend decades, centuries, screaming thoughts through their (possibly torn) brains of all the ways in which they would end your life.

A Husk is not something to weaponize.  Not yet.  Nothing short of bringing the mountain down atop their heads will stop a Husk.  They need no lungs, no limbs, they don't even need a brain.  Reduced to a bleeding, fractured torso they will crawl forward, possessed of otherworldly hatred and fueled by the purest of rage, these beings of raw terror will gladly and effortlessly bring the largest of dwarven mountainhomes to a smear of dust in the time that it takes them to crawl from one end of the entrance to the lower part of the forges.

Perhaps one day we'll be able to utilize them.  They are something of raw power, and we are not ready for that quite yet.  Dwarves who harness the power of magma and upheave heaven and earth itself falter at the strength and single-minded purpose of the Husk.  We are not ready.  Dare I say it but... we are not depraved enough, not ingenious enough, not brave enough to rally the Husk.

This being of unadulterated terror remains the only thing that the craziest of dwarves will avoid.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 06, 2012, 12:08:48 am »

That was some good writing, Girlinhat. :)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 07, 2012, 01:49:42 pm »

Pity she wasn't around for Syrupleaf. Husks and thralls are a lot like the Spawn of Holistic.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #740 on: June 07, 2012, 02:03:27 pm »

That post was pretty fckn awsome :P
The  "...feel no pain or sorry, no joy and take no pleasure even in such things as mist."-part really cracked me up. :D stupid dwarves and their mist xD

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 07, 2012, 02:29:24 pm »

The  "...feel no pain or sorry, no joy and take no pleasure even in such things as mist."-part really cracked me up. :D stupid dwarves and their mist xD

Now if we only had a way to mistify the legendary dining room along with it's *plump helmet roasts* we could fill the soul of any dwarf with joy just by spraying mist all over them.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 07, 2012, 02:30:45 pm »

Girlinhat, you must be having an off day. Oh, I don't mean your writing, it's as good as I've ever seen. But your self-confidence is what seems to be down. I have faith in you. I know you're depraved and ingenious enough to weaponize husks.

So go do something to raise your spirits. Maybe drop a few kittens into your dining room (time their fall for me if you do, I'd be interested in how fast the accelerate compared to the dwarves I've tested).  Or maybe toss a badger into some child's bedroom. I'm sure in no time at all that old mad-scientist attitude we all know and love will be back and you'll come up with some new ideas to try out with husks.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 07, 2012, 03:21:53 pm »

A Husk is not something to weaponize.
You monster :o
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 07, 2012, 03:48:21 pm »

Now if we only had a way to mistify the legendary dining room along with it's *plump helmet roasts* we could fill the soul of any dwarf with joy just by spraying mist all over them.

That's fairly easy, just put a mist generator in.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 09, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »

Actually, I was referring to turning the dining room into mist and dispense that to the dwarves.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 10, 2012, 07:09:19 pm »

Actually, I was referring to turning the dining room into mist and dispense that to the dwarves.
It's actually much easier to turn the dwarves into liquid and dispense them around the dining room. The result is the same.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Grinly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 18, 2012, 09:47:10 pm »

It's worth noting that infants can be separated from their mothers by having the mother enter a minecart - they then proceed to wander randomly, ignoring dangerous obstacles like the edges of cliffs. This makes it rather trivial to pit them.

I have been planning on using this to solve the problem of naked, insane, dwarven children by combining a railway station with a convenient drop into magma pit before they can mature - But I am sure advantage could be gained by putting the children in daycare on day one :D

I joined the forum just to post this. I suspect this makes me a bad person, but I am alright with that :)

Grinly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 18, 2012, 09:50:14 pm »

... The second after I finished posting that I realized it would be far more advantageous to have the infants take a long drop into the dining hall.

I should start a topic after I finish building this. lol

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 18, 2012, 09:53:24 pm »

Thralls are living creatures, minus everything that makes them a creature.  They are alive, they are not undead, they are truly living creatures, except all the things that distinguish a creature from a corpse, they lack.  They feel no pain, they do not breathe, nor bleed, nor tire, nor thirst, nor hunger, feel no pain or sorry, no joy and take no pleasure even in such things as mist.  They suffer no order and no chaos.  They are, truly, neither alive nor dear, nor really undead.  A Husk is, at its core, a void.  A sin against god in the purest form.  Not simply a blight like a dwarven fort will be named "a sin against nature" but in every sense of the word the Husk is a sin, something which defies nature and embodies everything that should never be.

A Husk will never breath, eat, rest, or suffer fear.  They make an ultimate killing force which simply cannot be stopped.
A Husk ignored all orders, they will not don armor nor remove it, and cannot be controlled except by extremely physical means of walls and locked doors.
A Husk is NOT undead.  It is not a zombie.  It still counts as a living creature, and as such will eventually age and die - perhaps the only true way to defeat a Husk is simply to wall them off behind the bowels of the mountain and try your best to forget that they sit there staring at the wall and craving your death.  Never stopping, never tiring, never becoming distracted, the Husk has one, single, universally persistent thought - to kill that which lives and remove life from the world.  Even as they sit sealed behind the walls, they only linger there.  Only a layer of piled rubble and their forgotten ability to remove constructions keeps you safe as they spend decades, centuries, screaming thoughts through their (possibly torn) brains of all the ways in which they would end your life.

A Husk is not something to weaponize.  Not yet.  Nothing short of bringing the mountain down atop their heads will stop a Husk.  They need no lungs, no limbs, they don't even need a brain.  Reduced to a bleeding, fractured torso they will crawl forward, possessed of otherworldly hatred and fueled by the purest of rage, these beings of raw terror will gladly and effortlessly bring the largest of dwarven mountainhomes to a smear of dust in the time that it takes them to crawl from one end of the entrance to the lower part of the forges.

Perhaps one day we'll be able to utilize them.  They are something of raw power, and we are not ready for that quite yet.  Dwarves who harness the power of magma and upheave heaven and earth itself falter at the strength and single-minded purpose of the Husk.  We are not ready.  Dare I say it but... we are not depraved enough, not ingenious enough, not brave enough to rally the Husk.

This being of unadulterated terror remains the only thing that the craziest of dwarves will avoid.

This must go on the wiki. Alternatively, replace "husk" with "carp" or "elephant"

I have faith in you. I know you're depraved and ingenious enough to weaponize husks.

Only in Bay12 you use "depraved" as a compliment  :P
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 76