Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 615823 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #795 on: August 08, 2012, 10:33:15 pm »

This project major fail, according to the experiments that some people did somewhere around this thread, was that the child wouldn't have a moment of peace, so they weren't able to eat or sleep and they ended up dead...

What about putting them in a small room 2x3: 1 bed, 1 table, 1 chair, 1 quantum food/booze stockpile, 1 tile with path-able 3/7 water, and in the middle a 1x1 meeting zone where the animals are also pastured. This way the child and animals get attracted to the meeting zone, where they brawl, when the child has needs can get out of the meeting zone and sleep, eat, drink and even clean self.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 09, 2012, 09:57:00 pm »

you sir, deserve a medal. this is the dawn of a new age of child trauma.
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 10, 2012, 08:48:06 am »

the problem with fleshballs is they can still shove skulls through brains, but they make amazingly resistant punching bags.
I think all i did was change their tag to common domestic or something.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 19, 2012, 11:36:36 pm »

Yeah, that makes them domestic, not wild. You still can't mod in taking wild animals on embark.

Exact wordings kill.

Urist da dwarfy dwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 01, 2012, 09:14:16 am »

I personally leave my children in a small hovel and wait for them to go insane. I make a aquad of these insane dwarves once they reach of age. still locked insde their 'homes' I realease them onto a seige. they take out 5-10 goblins each as they rampage with a huge battle axe severing the poor goblin's face off.

Back fired on me once when the siege went early.

They were left there in the open and once a trade caravan came they killed the humans manning it. I eventually needed to kill them using ballistas because 12+ years of torment is too much for them.

Still it is viable. you just need to put some engravings in (which I forgot)

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 01, 2012, 09:18:44 am »

Hmmm...Insane dwarfs afaik cant drink or eat...how you kept your children alive for 12 years?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 01, 2012, 09:43:43 am »

The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration

Sigged, you asked for it.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 01, 2012, 01:16:48 pm »

I recently started experimenting with hardening dwarves in every possible sense, confirming attribute gains with the help of Splinter's Dwarf Therapist version. So far, the attribute gains caused by almost all jobs are verified, and I routinely assign everyone to pump air in the gym until they are legendary pump operators. However, that doesn't raise Agility... but swimming does, and even children can do that!

So, creative members of the Bay 12 community, I present thee a challenge: design a setup that raises every dwarf's swimming skills to legendary in (preferably much) less than 11 years, without causing unnecessary casualties or too many bad thoughts- I prefer having a buffer of happiness between their pets death&decay (danger room for dwarf-owning cats and assigned war dogs, and any other useless pets, cleaned once a year- 2 Tragedy thoughts for the prize of one! ) and insanity.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 01, 2012, 03:41:58 pm »

Meeting zone over a repeating retracting bridge over 6.25/7 water. The 6/7 tiles prevent drowning of unskilled dwarves and all dwarves under the bridge, and the 7/7 tiles allow dwarves to climb out of the pool eventually. Build some sort of draining mechanism for the pool -- dwarves can occasionally be injured by being thrown off a bridge one level into water, and if somebody gets an injury (or death) that traps them in there somebody else is going to have to pull them out.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 01, 2012, 06:06:21 pm »

Meeting zone over a repeating retracting bridge over 6.25/7 water. The 6/7 tiles prevent drowning of unskilled dwarves and all dwarves under the bridge, and the 7/7 tiles allow dwarves to climb out of the pool eventually. Build some sort of draining mechanism for the pool -- dwarves can occasionally be injured by being thrown off a bridge one level into water, and if somebody gets an injury (or death) that traps them in there somebody else is going to have to pull them out.

The captain of the guard's head takes the full force of the impact bruising the muscle jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
The captain of the guard has been knocked unconscious!
Tosid Aralast Clothier has died after colliding with an obstacle

Perhaps a more advanced setup with the water coming up, instead the dwarves falling down/getting flung around... now, to calculate how many screw pumps are needed, and how it can be automated to take only a lever-puller to operate... When they are covered by anything less than 7/7 liquid, only stuff thrown into the air (by bridge or Colossus) can go through fortifications, right?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 06:09:56 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 13, 2012, 10:17:24 am »

I have a swim school - a 10x7 room with a 10x5 chamber above it, separated by a retractable drawbridge.  This is generally set up in the two layers above the aquifer.  The top chamber is completely filled with water, usually via a two-pump stack drawing water from the aquifer, while the room below is filled with unsuspecting dwarves.  Once everything is ready, I lock the doors and open the drawbridge.  The water falls and spreads out to a nice even 5/7 depth, and swimming commences.

This system trains a lot of dwarves at once, but I see no way to automate it.  You also have to repeat it many times.  My no-skill dwarves are only novice swimmers before I have to drain the pool and let them out to eat, drink, and sleep.  The wiki has some hands-off swim training systems, but I don't see how they could be combined with girlinhat's original childcare concept.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 13, 2012, 11:18:40 am »

Just lock all the children of the fort in a nice swimming pool, with beds and a quantum food stockpile. when they reach twelve they will
be legendary in all social skills and swiming.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 13, 2012, 11:27:50 am »

Just lock all the children of the fort in a nice swimming pool, with beds and a quantum food stockpile. when they reach twelve they will
be legendary in all social skills and swiming.
do they go to sleep in a tile with water? Because to me that seems like something liable to kill them all.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 13, 2012, 12:13:13 pm »

I have a swim school - a 10x7 room with a 10x5 chamber above it, separated by a retractable drawbridge.  This is generally set up in the two layers above the aquifer.  The top chamber is completely filled with water, usually via a two-pump stack drawing water from the aquifer, while the room below is filled with unsuspecting dwarves.  Once everything is ready, I lock the doors and open the drawbridge.  The water falls and spreads out to a nice even 5/7 depth, and swimming commences.

This system trains a lot of dwarves at once, but I see no way to automate it.  You also have to repeat it many times.  My no-skill dwarves are only novice swimmers before I have to drain the pool and let them out to eat, drink, and sleep.  The wiki has some hands-off swim training systems, but I don't see how they could be combined with girlinhat's original childcare concept.

Wouldnt it be easier to submerge your main hallway in water?
Channel out a 3x20 walkway, leave ramps at the exits and fill it to 5/7 to have everyone passively train swimming whenever they go somewhere?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 13, 2012, 12:46:41 pm »

Dwarves never enter deep water willingly.  If they did, automated training would be just as easy as you suggest.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 76