Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 609902 times)

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2011, 08:35:58 pm »

I tried this with an orphan and a trio of wolves.....it didn't end well. did not know they would gang up on the poor kid.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2011, 08:52:17 pm »

Tame or wild wolves?

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2011, 09:16:06 pm »

Wild.
Wait.....crap.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2011, 09:16:50 pm »

Scumsave if possible.  Change [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET].  Try again.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2011, 09:18:46 pm »

Meh, it had no friends. No real lost to my fortress.
Gonna try with CATS now.

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2011, 09:20:03 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The only game where placing children with wolves is a feat of ‼SCIENCE‼.
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2011, 09:21:35 pm »

Cats, unless modded, have the issue that they will adopt an owner.  This means their eventual death will cause issues for other members of the fort who suddenly lose a pet that they gained 10 years ago but were never aware of.

"Urist, you alright?"
"I...  I don't know..."

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2011, 09:26:43 pm »

Well, the only things I have left are alligators, two plump helmet men (male), and horribly maimed gobbos. I.....may have gone overkill on the wolves who killed the orphan.......

TomTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2011, 09:27:46 pm »

ok, after reading this i have a few questions.

1. What is the magma mist's purpose? burn the fat off the dwarves?
2. Is magma mist used with the wolves, or as an alternative?
3. what workshop should be put in the nursery (incase the get a strange mood)?

Also, i have an idea for making this into a superdwarf factory. All you need is 12 of these "nurseries". The first year, you put a child (1 year old) in nursery 1. the next, you put a child in nursery 2, etc. once you put the child in nursery 12, the child in nursery 1 will be an adult, so it will be ready to have a new child put in the next year. this will allow for a new superdwarf every year. You could also have more per year, you would just need more nurseries.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2011, 09:34:09 pm »

The wolves, or preferably fowl or dogs, maybe slightly-modded cats, would become confined and quarrelsome, attacking each other and the dwarf child, thus raising stats and attributes and whatnot.  The magma bath, or mist, would be to burn the child to remove all the fat, thus making them flame-retardant.  It's the burning fat that mostly hurts a flaming dwarf, the stuff melts and hurts.  Controlled burning and removal can be used to make a dwarf slightly more flame-resistant, and more importantly, char off things like facial features and skin.  These are not dwarves.  These are weapons.  Their appearance is not to be related to anything natural or good.  Think of the Immortals in 300.  And ideally, there would be no workshop.  If there was, it'd be a craftsman shop, to fulfill any stoneworking, woodworking, or boneworking mood.

TomTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2011, 09:37:28 pm »

fire burns off fat? are they dwarves or candles? and then what should i do when they get a strange mood?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2011, 09:41:59 pm »

You douse them with falling magma, utilizing floor grates, and then douse them with water once the fat has burned.  More civilian methods involve a 2/7 deep trench of magma beside a 2/7 water, utilizing levers.  Magma mist is generated when you cause a cave-in into a pool of standing magma, and is extremely deadly.

For moods, as with most moods, you merely hope for the best.  Chances are you'll be getting a two dozen migrants every year, one of them should mood instead of your test subject.  Let's be honest, anyone attempting this has an extremely low respect for the common dwarf and will be sending out militia in copper helmets and a pair of bloody socks against goblins with silver whips.  And let's be honest with ourselves, this is no longer a child.  Such personal words are wasted here.  The weapon, the subject, the experiment...

TomTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2011, 09:47:36 pm »

ok then. I'll be testing this soon, once my fortress gets off the ground.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:00 pm »

I read somewhere that during workshop reactions dwarves are attached to the object they are working with, if this is true it might be possible to mod in a custom reaction for some (arbitrary_product_name) that's homeotherm is high enough to melt fat and skin but not the dwarf.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2011, 10:20:57 pm »

"attached to" meaning "claimed" perhaps.  There is no physical link, except for the object to the [GRASP] limb during hauling.  It's possible to mod in a reaction that produces a boiling rock, instantly creating "boiling <custom_rock>" but that's not the point.  What can we do in vanilla, aside from the [PET_EXOTIC] because that's more of a fix than a mod.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 76