Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 609903 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2011, 10:27:09 pm »

rocks that boil away everything around them? sounds like the perfect catapult ammunition to me.

mod time.

darkrider2 has the aspect of one fey!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2011, 10:32:20 pm »

Not really possible for catapult ammo, unless you're firing it from an underground location to a warmer outdoor location, of if the target range has magma under the floor to raise the temperature.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2011, 10:34:11 pm »

girlinhat have I ever mentioned how awesome you are.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2011, 10:34:40 pm »

Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

sigged
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2011, 11:14:37 pm »

You've not said it lately, but at this point I just assume that everyone is thinking it all the time.

I tend to imagine people talking about me (or rather, things I've done) at odd times.  Walk into the house and greet their wife, chat a little, and remember reading about my newest idea to burn children into war machines, "Oh ha, have I told you about..." and he stops.  He hesitates for a half second, remember that his wife is no dwarf.  That she has spent the day in middle-management accounting.  She enjoyed tuna salad for lunch and she came home promptly after work.  He recalls all this quickly, and continues his sentence without much pause, "about... that new cat video?"  And her eyes light up, and his heart grows a little darker.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2011, 03:35:41 am »

I still believe the best option for strange moods is to have a 3x3 area divided off to allow outside access, so that other dwarves can build the require workshops. After it's built pull a lever to open the door to the child's "home" and close the door to the rest of the fortress from the workshop. Drop in the needed items from about via dumping/unforbidding. The royal rooms should be enough to lure them back into their cells after the moods, so that the doors can be shut again, and new dogs may possibly be added, if needed.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2011, 11:03:32 am »

A bed will also suffice to lure them back.  Dwarves idle in their bedroom (if it is their actual bedroom) when they have nothing to do.

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2011, 12:14:03 pm »

Putting this in my fort now, have access to magma, and all of the above, just to do some testing now.
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2011, 12:41:05 pm »

A bed will also suffice to lure them back.  Dwarves idle in their bedroom (if it is their actual bedroom) when they have nothing to do.

really?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2011, 12:47:14 pm »

Either one of their rooms or a meeting area, and if there's no available meeting area then they'll go to their own rooms.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Nolan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2011, 04:39:12 pm »

Hey folks, long time lurker (2 years or so), have been too lazy to register until I read this thread.  Bloody marvelous. 

All I have to add to this thread is that the walls to your childcare spaces should be make out of clear glass blocks so that the entire process can be observed.  It would be heartwarming for parents to be able to walk up to the facility and see how well their children are being taken care of... and potentially discourage future overpopulation from babies...

Bonus points: Make the child care centre outside so that outsiders (traders or invaders) can see what kind of Dorfs they are about to encounter.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2011, 04:47:31 pm »

Nah, thick stone walls.  Isolation is key here.  The darkness of the cave and the overwhelmingly small world that is one small cage dangling from the ceiling.  All the child knows, the whole world, a few stone walls, angry puppies, and an abysmal chain that stretches up into the beyond.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2011, 04:51:36 pm »

And some fortifications through which a waterfall sprays mist to keep him sane.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2011, 04:52:34 pm »

And some pretty engravings of Mandrills in fetal positions.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2011, 04:55:44 pm »

Or dwarves burning. A chronicle of those who came before, all staring at the child as if to say "you don't have what it takes" causing the child to both grow paranoid that they're actually alive and want to prove that he has what it takes.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 76