Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 609962 times)

Chakravanti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2011, 07:49:38 am »

maybe try small grazing livestock.  They'll fight with the child and starve to dearh before killing the subject.    I was thinking lambs or goat kids.  The chamber would need to be outside but thats not a bade thing really because it  keeps them from developing cave adaption anyway.

The subject should be able to pick up toy weapons to learn weapon skills.  I'm pretty sure that's where toady is going with 'toys' but hasn't gotten around to it yet.

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2011, 11:57:22 am »

More details on The Super Soldier project

2nd Generation subjects show an steady progression in their soldier skills, and bear so many scars in all of their body, just in year one of ten (2nd generation has 2 years old). My favorite Subject Dishmab Postsieges reached novice dodger last month, and shows steady progress in other areas. The other test subjects are slower but kicking.

Sadly, one of the test subjects didn’t make it, got a bleeding wound. I thought that it would heal but don’t, and when it reached severe blood loss I made an exception and let him out of the chamber for emergency medical treatment, because he was the second best. Made it to the hospital, got cleaned (no soap sadly, some foul smelling hauler wasted it) but died of the infection shortly after

3rd Generation subjects, Test1, Test2 and Test3 are showing progress, as always the gains are slow for a couple of months till the dogs get rabid from being incarcerated for too long….I think Test 3 lost an eye to a dog.

In place of the 2nd generation subject I put a new child, Test4..The already rabid dogs are not letting him to be at peace so skill gain was instant.

But a new problem: I’m out of dogs, and the ones in the chambers are really hurt and started to die….Maybe ill let dog density per chamber to be lowered, as chamber #8 show, a couple of rabid dogs can make the work of 5-6.

…What’s this? One of the caretakers just rush in telling  me that Dishmab is having moderate blood loss, I can’t let my  favorite subject to die so im giving him medical attention, he earned it.

If you excuse me….

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2011, 01:24:15 pm »

Yeah, I think occasional health checkups are important.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2011, 02:35:13 pm »

I really wouldn't suggest using dogs. While hardly the deadliest thing in Dwarf Fortress, they can hold their own against small enemies like Kobolds, and can do plenty of damage against a child. I suggest cats, or even better, any domestic bird (chickens come to mind), as they are incapable of even seriously harming each other. My plan is to use chickens, once I get enough infrastructure up to support my fort while pouring resources into the project.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2011, 02:46:02 pm »

The fowl also make more babies faster.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2011, 02:48:18 pm »

Grazing animals will, however, die if they cannot graze.  This may be remedied when toady adds wheat or other such collectable grass so that it may be dropped down with the child, but that may not happen for a while now.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Dwarfinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »

Having dogs or other animals seems to not work very fast.  I think that a similar set up with upright spikes and pressure plates would do the job faster.
Mwah ha ha ha ha....

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2011, 03:27:18 pm »

The job of killing them? ABSOLUTELY!
But currently, even with dogs, we're facing severe setbacks. As can be seen from the test subjects, the wounds being taken are more than enough from mere dogs. Anything more, and you might kill the kids before they have the chance to mature.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2011, 03:55:57 pm »

We could toss the child into a danger room for quicker and more efficient effect, but I think this is more about proof of concept than anything.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2011, 04:12:15 pm »

We could toss the child into a danger room for quicker and more efficient effect, but I think this is more about proof of concept than anything.

Even training spears will kill on headshots without helmets. Even if it doesn't work very fast, the kid can be holed up for a decade; time is your friend.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2011, 04:15:32 pm »

The point is not to make a SuperSoldier - we can do that already. The point is to both keep the child out of trouble but also to make sure they useful to society and helpful when they come of age.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2011, 04:24:18 pm »

If by 'useful to society' you mean, able to quite possibly take on a demon by himself, using only a copper shortsword, a leather helmet, and a loincloth he looted off of another enemy, then yes, that's exactly what we're trying to do.
And if by 'helpful' you mean, sociopath murderers with a high chance of killing their loved ones along with the enemy, then you've hit it on the nail. That's EXACTLY what we want.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2011, 04:30:18 pm »

When has killing people randomly ever been a bad thing?

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2011, 04:34:14 pm »

Just clarifying.
There's always that madman who thinks that having that one person in your fortress who can kill everyone-And likely will-Is a bad thing.
What a fool..

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »

Grazing animals will, however, die if they cannot graze.  This may be remedied when toady adds wheat or other such collectable grass so that it may be dropped down with the child, but that may not happen for a while now.

Chickens don't graze, unless I'm very much mistaken.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 76