Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 609944 times)

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2011, 11:51:09 pm »

The program is Dwarf Therapist, i just unlocked the Dwarf detail window in order to get a better picture.

ehmm, the schematics can be a little tricky, im not yet used to drawn in ACSII, but the idea is simple: a walled 1x1 space with a mean to shut it, something to drawn the test subject and a hole upside to drop supplies and animals. I choose a metal bridge as the way to close it and a constructed wall to drawn the child but in the end...you can make any variation you want, im sure more fun designs can be done...and im willing to prove some hehe.

To drawn children.....a little meeting area, like 50 iddle Dwarves and a population close to the cap. Dragonmouth is already a mature fortress, so we have a lot of births each year, my manager has like 10.....some init editing can also make a long way in making your dwarves more active.

I wish you luck and good results, and want to hear about you own experiments and results!.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2011, 11:59:05 pm »

Hmm..Alright.
Here's how I'm going to TRY to do things.(It'll take me a bit; I've got to dig down to a Cavern for water.)
I'm taking the standard chamber, then expanding it by on all sides by one tile. I will then place down Grates on each side, and the rest of the walls will be replaced with statues, except for one spot, which will be the nesting box. This is to assist with the moods.
The ground will be engraved, and there will be a bed; the lure for the children.
Once closed, I will activate a Floodgate which will have waterfalls running on both sides. I may optimize this design later.
There will also be two stockpiles; instead of the standard 'drop down food for the children' tactic, I will simply have one stockpile designated for exception+ food, and one for exceptional+ booze. Once the child is asleep, the door will be opened, the food deposited, and the door closed again. I will ensure the hens stay inside the room via pens.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2011, 12:25:35 am »

Hahahaha, and i called my bigger chambers Elysium Model, but yours sound nicer and better to help with the mood, maybe ill cede the name to you and call mine other way.

im yet not very big on child happiness, but as i don't want to lose these subjects i can make an exception and prove a new model. the design for Valhalla complex surged when i thought that Subject C34 was going to go crazy.

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2011, 01:51:17 am »

Wouldn't this work with the smaller monkeys or cats?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2011, 03:34:57 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is Subject Cerberus 3-4, also called Test4 of Subject C34, the poster girl for the project.  She has the highest stats for the project and was the first one to also snap out of the not eating, sleeping or drinking nosense.

Mosus is spending her formative years fighting for her life in dark and isolated horror. The totality of her material complaints amount to a lack of chairs. The innocence makes me vaguely sad. As a Bay Watcher I suppose I'm still only getting used to tragedy and yet to come to the point of not caring much about anything anymore.

~~~~~

Re: sleep deprivation deaths. Toady has probably modelled that on reality, as is his habit. I suspect the poor kids couldn't find a chance to rest because of incessant biting. It reminds me of the lab rat sleep deprivation experiments. Just let me do some quick searching...Here:

method:
Methods common to several studies in this series are described. A key feature is a sleep deprivation apparatus in which an experimental and a yoked control rat are housed on opposite sides of a divided disk suspended over shallow water. When the experimental rat enters a "forbidden" sleep stage, the disk is automatically rotated, forcing the experimental rat to walk to avoid being carried into the water. The control rat receives the same physical stimulation but can sleep ad lib when the disk is stationary.

outcome:
Ten rats were subjected to total sleep deprivation (TSD) by the disk apparatus. All TSD rats died or were sacrificed when death seemed imminent within 11-32 days. No anatomical cause of death was identified.

Just google "rat sleep deprivation" if you're interested. So yeah, at a guess I'd say you need to calibrate enough bites for desired torture training gains while still providing enough bite-less downtime to allow the doomed wretch child to collapse into oblivion sleep and thus avoid insanity followed by death. Fewer animals may bite less often. But then  more animals could bite amongst themselves more often. The perfect balance is undoubtaby tricky.

tl;dr posting to watch

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2011, 06:56:06 am »

If meeting zones work, the subject should be able to budget their own sleep, eat, and drink time.  Are meeting zones not working for this?

If the pit is, say, 2x3 that leaves 1 tile for each of the following:
  • bed
  • table
  • chair
  • nest box
  • stockpile (one which the food and drink are both dumped, so that the food will not spoil)
  • 1x1 zone that is both a meeting zone and a pasture (into which all animals in the room are assigned)

It could be made a little bigger to allow for waterfall/washing grates or whatever, and the subject and her 'training aids' should all still stay on the same tile and do harm to each other.

Am I wrong about how meeting zones and pastures will work in this case?
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2011, 07:16:14 am »

Everything I say is sigged.  There's no reason to ask if it's ok anymore!

Is it ok if I sig this?

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2011, 09:40:57 am »

with a set up like that, you could replace a plus sign with grates in between the chambers and then drop the water down the center grate, if you get what I'm saying
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2011, 11:37:22 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is Subject Cerberus 3-4, also called Test4 of Subject C34, the poster girl for the project.  She has the highest stats for the project and was the first one to also snap out of the not eating, sleeping or drinking nosense.

Good sense of Empathy? Oh dear, that's a problem.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2011, 11:43:40 am »

why you gonna need a nest box?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2011, 11:54:53 am »

If you use a female chicken it will lay eggs that hatch and go apeshit all over the dwarflings.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2011, 12:07:42 pm »

The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

Done.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2011, 12:29:34 pm »

If you use a female chicken it will lay eggs that hatch and go apeshit all over the dwarflings.
That... that is just beautiful!
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2011, 01:20:49 pm »

Oh, don't hand that room over to me. I may have designed it, but you're far more likely to be able to successfully pull it off.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2011, 03:07:06 pm »

Wow. This is insane, overly complex, extremely inefficient, and very wasteful. Smells like dwarf fortress.

Everything I say is sigged.  There's no reason to ask if it's ok anymore!
Is it ok if I sig this?
I'm sigging this too.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 76