Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 614540 times)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2011, 03:09:35 pm »

Insane? Well, yeah, I see that.
But I myself believe it is not yet complex enough, nor is it wasting enough resources.
But until I can find an extremely complicated and extremely wasteful way to create Magma-Mist, it will just have to stay that way.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2011, 03:16:42 pm »

It's not nearly as inefficient as getting kids captured by Goblins and letting them torture the kids instead.

And that doesn't have the added benefit of watching them kill Captured Slugmen for entertainment whenever you want.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2011, 03:18:47 pm »

Maybe..
..Whenever the update allowing us to invade people comes out..
..We can get the kids through only TEN years, then let them get kidnapped, tortured for a year, then reclaimed, have their skin burned off, replace it with steel-grafted skin(Purely for the aesthetics,) and make them our finest military officers.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2011, 03:22:18 pm »

Maybe..
..Whenever the update allowing us to invade people comes out..
..We can get the kids through only TEN years, then let them get kidnapped, tortured for a year, then reclaimed, have their skin burned off, replace it with steel-grafted skin(Purely for the aesthetics,) and make them our finest military officers.

yeah and give them adamantite skeletal structures while we're at it.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2011, 03:23:53 pm »

Don't be ridiculous. That's just plain impossible!
The steel-grafting, by the way, is possible via making steel molten by..Apparently..Dropping steel from great heights into a bunch of water..And then you just have your dwarf swim through it.
I guess he'd have to be naked for it to work, though.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 19, 2011, 03:24:21 pm »

To be honest, the kids can barely survive step 1 of Project Traumatise-Children, let alone the "Skinny dipping in magma" Phase of the plan.

We need to perfect the main part of the childcare program before we start going all crazy.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 19, 2011, 03:25:24 pm »

That's why I'm working on the designs of new chambers, that will hopefully preserve their sanity long enough for the first step.
Hopefully, that I've proposed already should work.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 19, 2011, 03:28:59 pm »

Hey guys, I was just reading the efficient medical system thread and we might have a solution to the skin and fat issue.

Turns out if a Forgotten Beast syndrome causes necrosis, then diagnosticians will order for all the rotting organs to be removed (fat and skin can be removed, along with: hearts, pancreii, spleens, kidneys, lungs, etc.).

All we have to do now is find a way to get a FB syndrome that can...
1) infect the dwarf without infecting everyone (although a whole fort of fireproof dwarves probly ain't so bad either)
2) causes necrosis
3) only infects skin and fat

I'm not too familiar with how the syndrome's work so if there are any flaws with this idea go ahead and speak up, we are in the pursuit of science after all.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 19, 2011, 03:32:38 pm »

only fat isn't better? (Because it will bleed less?)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2011, 03:34:52 pm »

Skin allow for pain. Painless dwarves fight better. Therefore; skin and fat both need to be removed.
Anyway, there're a couple of FBs that just plain remove fat and skin. The problem is, it's less controllable then, say, a cave-in over magma at certain intervals.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 19, 2011, 03:54:52 pm »

Hey guys, I was just reading the efficient medical system thread and we might have a solution to the skin and fat issue.

Turns out if a Forgotten Beast syndrome causes necrosis, then diagnosticians will order for all the rotting organs to be removed (fat and skin can be removed, along with: hearts, pancreii, spleens, kidneys, lungs, etc.).

All we have to do now is find a way to get a FB syndrome that can...
1) infect the dwarf without infecting everyone (although a whole fort of fireproof dwarves probly ain't so bad either)
2) causes necrosis
3) only infects skin and fat

I'm not too familiar with how the syndrome's work so if there are any flaws with this idea go ahead and speak up, we are in the pursuit of science after all.

I fiddle with syndromes some and rot only comes in two varieties as far as I know localized or total. Localized only effects the parts it touches, even with liberal application of localized extract you would end up infecting say the arm instead of just the arms skin. The total necrosis your talking about is a death sentence, I've never heard of anyone surviving having their entire body amputated.
Careful use of magma can get rid of fat but skins a bit more complicated.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2011, 05:05:04 pm »

I have begun a prototype-testing chamber. For now, the moving parts, such as floodgates and water and such, will not be implemented..This was mostly due to the surprise visit of two child immigrants I got in the spring, forcing me to rush to complete a chamber.
Currently, I have made the two following improvements on the chamber:
1: There is now a bridge over the chamber. This is not only to drop in food supplies, if those become dangerously low, but is also there in case I need to drop in more animals.
2: I have made a down-stairs department in front of the bridge-gate, where the food is stored at the beginning of the project.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 19, 2011, 07:15:59 pm »

Everything I say is sigged.  There's no reason to ask if it's ok anymore!
Is it ok if I sig this?
I'm sigging this too.
Sigged!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:17:57 pm by Reelyanoob »

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2011, 08:12:55 pm »

Alright, well, I got off of Dwarf-Fortress for now, so here's the report:

Initially, I was fearful that the chambers wouldn't be nearly enough to suit my needs, but the children have proven me wrong.
Extremely wrong.
They are in moods ranging from ecstatic to happy(There's only two of them right now,) and actually seem to prefer it IN the chambers, as opposed to out of them.
Their skills are taking a while to grow; they are both still in the dabbling state, but the original boy, Monom, has reached 32% towards the next skill-level. I have high hopes.
It has not been a full year, yet, but it is coming close, and I do not like the results..They are not nearly as astounding as I had originally hoped. However, the second boy to be placed in, Monom's brother, has already taken advantage of the training perfections made; he has only been in for half a year, yet already shows the growth that his brother has given us. Once again, high hopes.

Neither are anywhere near insane, and both are in adequate condition to continue the training.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2011, 10:35:09 pm »

From Test Chamber #1...

Doren Legonzulban has been fine lately. He slept on a rough cave floor recently. ... He admired a fine Floor Grate lately. He was forced to drink vomit lately.

Wow. That was the first time I saw that. :o From the combat reports I think a water buffalo calf kicked a sheep in the guts, then the sheep barfed all over the floor grate that was the only source of water in the chamber...

So basically I just forced a child to drink sheep vomit.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 76