Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 609899 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #285 on: August 31, 2011, 03:16:55 pm »

I do not think Spartan One will benefit from survival gear. She has currently killed two Turkey Gobblers in a fit of rage, seriously injured a Peacock, and more worryingly destroyed the Nest Box, Table, and Throne. Perhaps more immediately, she's hurled her food all about her Chamber, and all of the booze is currently sharing the tile of her statues. I do not know if she can get it without first destroying the statue.

The rest of the fort isn't faring much better. I've gone from some 66 dwarves to 27, a fair portion of that being children and the terminally insane. It's a pretty grisly scene here- corpses and vomit everywhere. Kidnappers have made off with half a dozen children, and no adults can be bothered to care. The children are probably better off in a goblin slave pen.

On the plus side, I think I can pull through. The Good Doctor is still sane, though a berserk herbalist broke his foot early in the spiral. Sarvesh Trumpethearts (whose blood anoints the Spartan One) is quite content, as he has no friends and the spiral has given him the excuse to take joy in slaughter. He has been promoted to militia commander, and is serving as Chief Medical Dwarf until the Doctor can get back on his feet. And then there's a couple of the younger children that are ecstatic... and that's about it.

In the event this fortress falls, I'll start a new one specifically to perform SCIENCE!! Since I'm a stubborn bastard, I'll hold on to the bitter end.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 31, 2011, 05:47:06 pm »

Possible suggestion: next fort, mod dorfs to drop litters of children. Means you can seal off outside and not have to worry.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 31, 2011, 07:46:17 pm »

An excerpt from the log of Sarvesh Wallpick, Chief Medical Dwarf

1st Galena, Late Summer 315

The tantrum spiral is finally over. At its worst, dwarves ran amok through the streets of Drunkensteels in the cold heart of winter, destroying and looting. The snows were red with dwarven blood. At our lowest point, the fortress population consisted of 14 hale dwarves in varying states of misery, 6 children, and 4 madmen. With the spring has come migrants, however, and we rebuild.

Sarvesh Trumpethearts The Guilded Monk of Color rose to the position of Militia Commander during the Blood Snow by virtue of being alive and trained with a weapon. He maintained a small modicum of order by force, brutally executing those who's sanity slipped, and he was instrumental in keeping three of the survivors fed, watered, and clean when I was incapacitated with a mangled foot and hand. He has no love of governance, however, and refused nomination for the office of mayor. That position is currently filled by Olin Stakeransack, Blacksmith and former lover of the Countess. It was Olin who ordered me to resume work on the Child Care Project, though I'd rather help rebuild our city.

Spartan One has survived the chaos, somehow. She has destroyed much of her Chamber in fits of rage, and the scars on several animals bear testament to her wrath. Her Chamber is soaked in blood and vomit, none of it hers. She managed to wrench the door off of its hinges at some point, and Drunkensteels was spared her rampage solely due to the Orthoclase plug. She destroyed the Nest Box, and so this Chamber will have to be abandoned.

In some small way, the conditioning has worked. She is now weak instead of very weak, and she has become a Novice Fighter and Skilled Archer/Thrower, as well as a dabbler in the other martial arts. She is getting used to tragedy, though that is likely the result of civilian deaths outside the Chamber.

The Turkeys and Peahens were unable to do more than nick and bruise Spartan One during the Blood Snow, but in the aftermath a Ghostly Farmer returned from the dead, attacking Spartan One in a violent rage. She suffered the loss of her right arm at the elbow- somehow, she managed to staunch the blood loss and needs no further diagnosis or treatment. I have ordered coffins to be produced en masse to lay the Ghost to rest, and prevent further attacks.

Work has begun on the next generation of Chambers. This time, the design calls for neither a table nor a throne- reducing the floor space should increase the rate of conditioning. The Chamber shall be opened to the air in order to prevent miasma from decaying turkey, and a well with soap provided- we shall see whether children will bathe on their own volition.

Drunkensteels lives on, and the Project continues.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 31, 2011, 08:00:39 pm »

It appears that we may want to toss the kids in with a random, expendable dwarf for a year or so, so that they all learn to love him, then throw them in their pods, give them plenty of Poultry to murder, and execute the man.
Maybe do that with SEVERAL expendables.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 31, 2011, 08:47:25 pm »

Spartan One will need proper ritualistic adornment.  Her lack of arm prohibits military service, but if she has produced an artifact, then she should be competent in a skill, yes?  She deserves a place of virtue, for her contribution to science at the cost of bodily harm - no things come for free.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 31, 2011, 10:38:52 pm »

Spartan One will need proper ritualistic adornment.  Her lack of arm prohibits military service, but if she has produced an artifact, then she should be competent in a skill, yes?  She deserves a place of virtue, for her contribution to science at the cost of bodily harm - no things come for free.
The child can still fight in the Military although she has lost an arm she still has another. She may not wield a shield but she can raise her sword, or her axe, or her bow, or her crossbow, or she may have my spear. The dwarves willingly began this experiment they must finish it she will join the military.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 31, 2011, 10:42:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Turkeys and Peahens were unable to do more than nick and bruise Spartan One during the Blood Snow, but in the aftermath a Ghostly Farmer returned from the dead, attacking Spartan One in a violent rage. She suffered the loss of her right arm at the elbow- somehow, she managed to staunch the blood loss and needs no further diagnosis or treatment. I have ordered coffins to be produced en masse to lay the Ghost to rest, and prevent further attacks.

Work has begun on the next generation of Chambers. This time, the design calls for neither a table nor a throne- reducing the floor space should increase the rate of conditioning. The Chamber shall be opened to the air in order to prevent miasma from decaying turkey, and a well with soap provided- we shall see whether children will bathe on their own volition.

Drunkensteels lives on, and the Project continues.[/spoiler]

I have an idea. Make a dwarven bathtub... and make an upward Ramp... out of soap.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Uristocrat/Dwarven_Bathtub

Maybe make it entirely a dwarven bathtub where she can walk. That way she can stay clean all the time not to mention she will be wadding through animal blood and walking on soap. Ohoho  Make everything out of soap... it shall be a sterile environment.

Sorry for the double post... wish i could delete posts

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2011, 11:02:16 pm »

Spartan One's mood was a possession, worse luck, and not a very exciting one either. "Mirthrings the Future of Unions," an Oaken Flute. Yeah, Spartan One was going to turn out to be some kind of useless elf-loving hauler before I snagged her for the Child Care Project. Hopefully, the year and a half of isolation and ghost attacks has purged any unwholesome tendencies from her.

Actually, I'm fairly certain I've traumatized her. Looking at her bio, she no longer has "a good memory." I've never seen the soul attributes change, so this is an exciting new discovery for me. I can only assume she is doing her best to block the last quarter of her life from her mind.

Anywho, she won't be the first dwarf to serve in my military with only one good arm, and assuming I make it that long she won't be the last. I'm making 2 of the second round of chambers- one for Spartan One, and another for the youngest (and hopefully friend-free) child in the fortress. I'm fairly certain Spartan One has the mental fortitude to withstand the new chamber, and Spartan Two will serve as something of a control. A bit of pre-screening reveals that of the 8 children in Drunkensteels, 3 of them have dabbling combat skills from surviving the Blood Snow and one other is hospitalized with FB rot.

The FB rot is something of a minor epidemic, and it's delayed construction quite a bit. In particular, the CMD keeps catching it from his patients- I only just realized that he's been around long enough for his clothes to completely rot away, and so he keeps walking through the pool of extract by the well. I'm making a VIP squad whose only purpose is to make VIP's wear shoes and gloves (and the rest of the armor, while I'm at it.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 31, 2011, 11:56:06 pm »

She, um, she lost her good memory?  Really?  That can happen?  You've done it man.  You've reached out and touched a child.  And she will never be the same.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2011, 12:05:47 am »

I just read this entire thread...

Also in case anyone cares, this thread has been linked on the tvtropes community page for DF....

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2011, 12:08:20 am »

Also in case anyone cares, this thread has been linked on the tvtropes community page for DF....
I cannot properly express the ferocity of my fist-pump right now.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2011, 12:16:19 am »

I should have pointed this out earlier, but next time forget the throne, table, etc, at least dont actually put them into the isolation chamber, dwarves love having a noble bedroom/dining room, even if theres no possible way that they can reach the damn thing i know they will get positive thought from noticing nice stuff around them, but good quality engravings, masterwork door, platnium floor tiles, etc should suffice while still limiting floor space enough.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 01, 2011, 12:19:31 am »

They get a good thought from 1: Owning a fine bedroom, and 2: Sleeping in the bedroom.  You can give them some fine areas, like a legendary dining hall, a private zoo, whatever, but only give them a bed in the pit.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 01, 2011, 12:25:58 am »

I wonder what would happen if you gave them an awesome bedroom upstairs and then a masterwork bed downstairs, would they get an unhappy thought from being forced to sleep in terrible conditions? .....
I have it, zone the bedroom past the walls of the chamber so all the good stuff is outside but the bed is inside where the child is, problem solved.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 01, 2011, 12:31:06 am »

Build an empty room.  Place a bed in the room, and designate a bedroom over the whole room.  Fill 1/2 of the room with amazing statues.  Add a wall to make a solid room of statues.  Turn the other 1/2 of the room into the training cage.  The bedroom designation will still remain, encompassing every statue and making the room value extremely high, allowing them to sleep in a royal bedroom that's 1x1 wide.

Doors set to "internal" and "locked" replacing one wall can work as well.  Instead of a wall, just have one of these doors, and the room designation will be able to ignore the door, while the dwarf cannot pass through it.  With this, you can have some great platinum chain covering the floor outside the cage that's considered part of the cage's bedroom.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 76