Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 609898 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #315 on: September 01, 2011, 10:24:54 pm »

Well, even if the attempt with Spartan One doesn't work, it will still be seen as a success, due to the massive psychological trauma and loss of memory.

Great work.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 01, 2011, 11:13:09 pm »

Amnesia?
It would be like toady to program proper psychological responses for trauma victims.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 02, 2011, 05:41:01 am »

This whole idea sounds awesome. The "Bob Ross paints a double rainbow" kind of awesome. Please make it work on an industrial level!

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 02, 2011, 05:54:09 am »

Has any !!SCIENCE!! been undertaken on the removal of skin/fat? I keep seeing mentions of it, but nothing in-depth. Before I dedicate a fort to the study of supersoldier creation, are any of the below ideas confirmed not to work?

- Exposure to boiling vapours (alcohol, blood, sphalerite?), for the non-fatal removal of fat.
- A 1/7 magmashower over a grate, followed with immediate water quenching, for the non-fatal removal of fat.
- Exposure to !!objects!! followed by immediate water quenching, for the non-fatal removal of fat.
- Exposure to magma mist followed by immediate water quenching, for the non-fatal removal of fat.
- Exposure to helmet snake bites followed by isolation and immediate medical treatment apon discovery of necrosis, for the removal of fat/skin only.
- Exposure to platypus stings followed by isolation and immediate medical treatment apon discovery of necrosis, for the removal of fat/skin only.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 02, 2011, 06:04:49 am »

Has any !!SCIENCE!! been undertaken on the removal of skin/fat? I keep seeing mentions of it, but nothing in-depth. Before I dedicate a fort to the study of supersoldier creation, are any of the below ideas confirmed not to work?

- Exposure to boiling vapours (alcohol, blood, sphalerite?), for the non-fatal removal of fat.
- A 1/7 magmashower over a grate, followed with immediate water quenching, for the non-fatal removal of fat.
- Exposure to !!objects!! followed by immediate water quenching, for the non-fatal removal of fat.
- Exposure to magma mist followed by immediate water quenching, for the non-fatal removal of fat.
- Exposure to helmet snake bites followed by isolation and immediate medical treatment apon discovery of necrosis, for the removal of fat/skin only.
- Exposure to platypus stings followed by isolation and immediate medical treatment apon discovery of necrosis, for the removal of fat/skin only.

Helmet snakes cause the spinal cord to rot so I can't imagine that working out and here's the raw for platypi
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It mentions pain and swelling but nothing about necrosis. If you want to make a super dwarf you may have to create an omnipresent modded creature.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 02, 2011, 04:15:56 pm »

The wiki mentions platypus venom can cause swelling so extreme it can lead to necrosis. A supersoldier lab might just have to rely on FB chambers and trial & error testing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 02, 2011, 04:28:56 pm »

I'm really REALLY against FB usage, because of how unpredictable and unreliable they are.

Numerous platypus stings should strengthen the syndrome, unreliably.  Fire is much preferred for these things.  You can encourage a child to burn themselves by filling a dwarfbath with 3/7 magma and another with 3/7 water.  Put that child's bedroom on the other side of the baths, causing them to walk through shallow magma and shallow water on their way to bed.  Ideally, you'd have 2 water baths, for going to and from the bedroom.  This can, of course, be used on any dwarf, but a bedroom is needed for children because they don't pull levers.

Of course, this would work best if the magma bath were a timed distance from the water, to encourage burning but not death, and were placed directly in front of the test chamber, so that they burned and entombed themselves promptly.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 02, 2011, 04:41:20 pm »

The wiki mentions platypus venom can cause swelling so extreme it can lead to necrosis. A supersoldier lab might just have to rely on FB chambers and trial & error testing.

I just confirmed in the Arena but it doesn't seem perfectly reliable. The dwarf was stung in both hands but only one became rotten. Of course I don't think getting someone stung by a platypus multiply times shot be a problem. What you really have to consider is that the surgeon is removing tissue, your dorf is gonna bleed out if you do it all at once so your dealing with exposing him, seeing if it takes, and having the necrotic tissue removed over and over in small doses. It's going to take alot of time and alot of platypi.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 02, 2011, 04:58:42 pm »

Nice one, Broseph. I think I'm going to start up a platypus research lab ; determining the best level of protection to ensure the venomous spur hits skin and no deeper, experimenting on just how much tissue can be removed in one sitting, the likelihood of necrosis to 'take', and the relative merits of wild platypi vs overcrowded tame platypi. Any advice on finding an embark with them?

However, since this treatment looks as though it will require multiple sessions carried out over a long period of time, I think it's safe to say that it should only be attempted during or after the subject's maturing in the turkeycage of horrors, as it would otherwise unduly delay placement into the isolation cell.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 02, 2011, 05:05:56 pm »

I'd say platypi aren't valid for this experiment.  Worthy of other science, but not this particular one.

Also:
the turkeycage of horrors

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 02, 2011, 05:09:12 pm »

I'd say platypi aren't valid for this experiment.  Worthy of other science, but not this particular one.

Also:
the turkeycage of horrors
Spot on, their more accessible than forgotten beasts but they have all the same problems. That's discounting the fact that after that kid climbs out of the turkey cage he's going to kick the ass of any platypus that looks at him wrong. You'd have to throw dozens of them right on him to have any chance of getting  a solid inoculation.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 02, 2011, 07:16:56 pm »

Numerous platypus stings should strengthen the syndrome, unreliably.  Fire is much preferred for these things.  You can encourage a child to burn themselves by filling a dwarfbath with 3/7 magma and another with 3/7 water.  Put that child's bedroom on the other side of the baths, causing them to walk through shallow magma and shallow water on their way to bed.  Ideally, you'd have 2 water baths, for going to and from the bedroom.  This can, of course, be used on any dwarf, but a bedroom is needed for children because they don't pull levers.

Uh... you haven't actually tested this, have you?
In my experience, nothing whatsoever can cause ANY creature, magma-proof or not, to path through a square containing even 1/7 magma.

And I have a LOT of 1/7 magma lying around. Recently, half the map was once again covered in magma, with a few unforbidden items on an island in the middle. The dwarfs did not path to the items until there was a safe path through the cooling magma.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 02, 2011, 07:44:27 pm »

In my experience, nothing whatsoever can cause ANY creature, magma-proof or not, to path through a square containing even 1/7 magma.

One of the forms of insanity removes the dwarf's ability to detect threatening terrain, so they walk into pits, magma, etc. The wiki says that it is Stark Raving Mad.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 02, 2011, 07:47:20 pm »

One of the forms of insanity removes the dwarf's ability to detect threatening terrain, so they walk into pits, magma, etc. The wiki says that it is Stark Raving Mad.

The pathfinding for babies is very much like this, and in 40d they were infamous for jumping down wells and off cliffs when their parents died.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 02, 2011, 08:34:05 pm »

This is because the child would go insane when the parent died, leading them to seek out their own death actively.

I could -swear- that I've used several magma-baths before to encourage bleeding.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 76