Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 609911 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #345 on: September 03, 2011, 12:16:30 pm »

As in Berserk? How about a solution to melancholies: an execution tower that drops targets into a meeting hall, so that when a dwarf gets struck by melancholy, they can jump off the tower and splatter in the meeting hall, slightly hardening anyone there.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 03, 2011, 12:21:33 pm »

'Waaaaah!' *splat*
'What is this, I don't even..'
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

loopylung

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 03, 2011, 03:45:26 pm »

On the topic of melting fat off children...

Does it have to be fire/magma? I'm in a scorching biome, and I wonder if it's possible to have an open chamber in the sun that will melt every ounce of fat off the kid over the course of 11 years. I know it only takes a few days to cover a dwarf in blisters. What happens when they stay outside for years?

loopylung

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 03, 2011, 03:46:35 pm »

By the way, this is possibly the dwarfiest thing I have seen in a while.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 03, 2011, 03:51:20 pm »

1: We have an edit button, try not to double-post.
2: Heat has been severely nerfed.  In previous versions, if a dwarf was wet and in a scorching biome (ie, outside in the rain) then the water would heat up so much to melt their fat, cause bleeding, and death.  Steam was also very lethal, with lignite bins used to cause pressure cookers for goblins to simmer in.  This has been "fixed" though it would be fun to still have.  Particularly hot areas can cause this, but it has to be pretty damn hot, above what the vanilla generator will produce.  You could use advanced worldgen and manually paint the specific temperature for an area, to ensure fat-melting temperature, but then you still run into the problem of medical care and bleeding.  Perhaps if it's right on the temperature threshold, it will only melt during summer, and cause controlled bleeding.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 03, 2011, 03:55:15 pm »

Perhaps if it's right on the temperature threshold, it will only melt during summer, and cause controlled

Controlled,are you sure?  :P
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 03, 2011, 04:31:47 pm »

Well, tell me..
..Can you open a Floodgate to allow a dwarf outside?
Can you then get that dwarf back inside?
Can you close the Floodgate again?
Yes?
Well, there you go.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 12, 2011, 10:37:36 am »

Just wanted to throw in my results:

2 test subjects.
2x2 room for each of them, 1 bed each, good quality roasts and wine. For the flavor they were actually kept in "cages" hanging right above magma floor, with support connecting it with ceiling. Bridges made to allow dropping animals/food.
Subject 1 - child in age of 5. Company of 8 dogs.
Subject 2 - child in age of 6. Company of 5 dogs.

After 3 years subject 2 was caught with a mood. At the time he was dabbling wrestler, striker, fighter, dodger and armor user (subject born on site, no clothing equipped). Multiple wounds reported on both the subject and dogs. Test chamber was designated to be submerged in magma and destroyed. Subject 2 - cause of death: drowning (in magma).

Subject 1 died at the age of 10. Last report made at the age of 8. At the time, subject was Adequate Dodger and Fighter, Novice Armor User and Dabbling Wrestler and Striker. Multiple wounds and scars. Worth noting is that subject had sibling to die (failed mood) and despite being very unhappy it survived that period without incidents. One of the dogs died of infection year before experiment was concluded. Test chamber was designated to be submerged in magma and destroyed. Subject 1 - cause of death: infection.

Conclusion: the project certainly has potential. Further adjustment would be necessary to reduce mortality rate of subjects. We're looking at a very thin line where subjects survives, yet the experience delivered allows key skills to develop.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 24, 2011, 03:28:48 am »

Wouldn't it be easiest to just  pasture a vast number of, say, chicks in the kid's bedroom and then lock the door? I always have chicksplosion problems anyway.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 24, 2011, 07:29:35 am »

That's the theory behind the experiment, at basis.  In practice, you'll want to balance out the reproduction rate of the animals, the mood of the child to avoid insanity, and not killing the child.  There's a fine balance of "child is suffering" and "child is dead".

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 24, 2011, 11:32:04 am »

My current fort has 3 pages of children and babies. This could be a good way of getting rid o-er...erm. Making them useful.

In WARHAMMER FANTASY ogre young that aren't fat are thrown into pitch black caves to die, or fight and survive. This results in horribly violent, insane, emaciated albino ogres. Dwarf children becomming a little too "underground" adapted from this?

Diuur not 40k.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 11:52:07 am by Wannazzaki »
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 24, 2011, 11:40:31 am »

What happens to the fat ones?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 24, 2011, 11:51:44 am »

They get raised as ogres.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 24, 2011, 02:35:58 pm »

What I imagine Girlinhat's fortress children to be like when she's not looking
Replace "Ms. hannigan" with "Ms. Girlinhat", orphanage with dwarf fortress, and I think it fits rather nicely.

Although, to be honest, this is what I imagine every player's fortress children to be like to be like when they're not looking.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 24, 2011, 05:17:58 pm »

This thread is the reason people look at me funny when i discuss this game in public.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 76