Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 609939 times)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #360 on: October 24, 2011, 08:35:12 pm »

Damn, Dwarf fortress. You scary.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Random_Physics_Nerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 30, 2011, 01:46:52 am »

I have just read through this entire thread, and I have this to say: My work on a race of Dwarves made of cheese will have to be put on hold while I test this concept. I will not be using my warkittens as the animals though, as I will keep this entirely vanilla.

Edit: One question, would dumping a large number of cats into the chamber and triggering a thermonuclear catsplosion be enough to set the child on fire? And if so, would it be out of the question for vanilla users to employ this tactic?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:49:16 am by Random_Physics_Nerd »
Take two magma and call me in the morning.
I was thinking about pumping magma up his legs and having a floodgate in his crotch. What could be more dorfy than pissing magma upon your enemies?

Vindictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 30, 2011, 02:56:36 am »

Unfortunately, catsplosions are rather low thermal output. They rely more on auditory and optical damage.
Well, I now have an urge to end sentient life.

I think I'll go meditate for a bit.

Random_Physics_Nerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 30, 2011, 03:42:33 am »

Darn, I thought I was really on to something.

Too bad this is only valid without modding...
Take two magma and call me in the morning.
I was thinking about pumping magma up his legs and having a floodgate in his crotch. What could be more dorfy than pissing magma upon your enemies?

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 14, 2011, 02:58:50 pm »

Spoiler: Summary of Spartan One (click to show/hide)
Compare/contrast with the shot I took when she was first introduced to the Chamber- the white personality traits bit didn't change apart from "getting used to tragedy." In fact, I just checked the "one year later" shot and she still had a good memory then- this change is recent. 
Spartan One is, once again, very weak. The lack of constant attacks has allowed the subject to lapse into decadence.
Moreover, #2 to #3 shows degradation of Creativity, from "poor" to "lousy". Hm, here's another interesting question: do unused attributes go "rusty" like skills - or is there only plain attribute damage?
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 14, 2011, 10:59:34 pm »

I just had an idea - although I am not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread:

Have a secondary room separated by a door, set as internal and locked. The room would contain statues, artifacts, whatever you felt deeming worthy of increasing the child's happiness.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 15, 2011, 11:10:54 am »

I just had an idea - although I am not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread:

Have a secondary room separated by a door, set as internal and locked. The room would contain statues, artifacts, whatever you felt deeming worthy of increasing the child's happiness.

Dwarves have to be next to something to admire it sadly, and if you are shooting for giving them a good bedroom it would be more efficient to just assign them a noble room of high value elsewhere in the fort.

Since this is bumped already, are any tests still in the works or are we all eagerly awaiting new age child care through making the children drink vampire blood?
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 15, 2011, 12:18:22 pm »

Well, I had several attempts recently.
Several attempts failed at initial isolation stage, one of them because child didn't trigger the plate set to the lowest size which should have sealed the chamber.
Finally, I managed to capture one subject manually. It was accompanied by two turkeys in 1x1 room. He gained novice in various skills in a matter of months. Then I decided to add swimming to list, chamber was filled up to 5/7, results were promising: child got adequate swimmer in one month. However hight water level prevented him from eating and, ironically, drinking so I had to carve fortification in chamber, rendering further swimming training impossible. Month later child started getting drowsy but refused to collapse onto the ground. Were other creatures on the same tile or constant pestering preventing him from sleep I don't know but some time later child went berserk and promptly strangled one of hens and punched in the head other. Since he was scaring away through fortification dwarfs that were working on next care chamber he was put down by marksdwarf, with butt of crossbow as usual.
Considering the fact that I've managed to lose some to snatchers and the fact this thread has emerged again, I may continue my research.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 15, 2011, 01:04:42 pm »

Well, I had several attempts recently.
Several attempts failed at initial isolation stage, one of them because child didn't trigger the plate set to the lowest size which should have sealed the chamber.
Finally, I managed to capture one subject manually. It was accompanied by two turkeys in 1x1 room. He gained novice in various skills in a matter of months. Then I decided to add swimming to list, chamber was filled up to 5/7, results were promising: child got adequate swimmer in one month. However hight water level prevented him from eating and, ironically, drinking so I had to carve fortification in chamber, rendering further swimming training impossible. Month later child started getting drowsy but refused to collapse onto the ground. Were other creatures on the same tile or constant pestering preventing him from sleep I don't know but some time later child went berserk and promptly strangled one of hens and punched in the head other. Since he was scaring away through fortification dwarfs that were working on next care chamber he was put down by marksdwarf, with butt of crossbow as usual.
Considering the fact that I've managed to lose some to snatchers and the fact this thread has emerged again, I may continue my research.

I'd like to support a renewal of the project, and if I have time in the next few weeks between exams I'll attempt to run a few tests of my own in Helmscholars. Unless *yelling at dragons is too fun.

*Skyrim
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
The Turkey Torero
« Reply #369 on: November 15, 2011, 06:50:21 pm »

question: do unused attributes go "rusty" like skills - or is there only plain attribute damage?
Oops, sorry, all is there in the manual *(MENT_ATT_RATES).

Let's look at the parameter contradictions here: poultry needs to be confined to go nuts, but dwarfling doesn't. Lil' vunz are trained by spending some time with birds, but being locked in a small cell without any other activity causes mental deterioration (see memory and creativity decreasing on screenshots by monk12).
Quick experiment: a pair of geese didn't try to headbutt (like cats do) a "closed tight" hatch on short dead-end stairs, even after their pasture was reasigned back to the up side. So, the right question is: will confined birds try to do it after going crazy merely to get into the next small airlock?
If not, the general idea has much greater potential than attempts to produce mad supersoldiers: breaks between "chicken gladiator" sessions could allow less intense, but still significant training while keeping possible crippling factors minimized. For that matter, do they train just as fast while sleepless and tired as when rested?..
Suppose a trainee eats and sleeps elsewhere, but regularly passes through the "birdcage" room and get locked there for a few hours by a water timer? Since the resistance to stress and fatigue differs, the timer can be made individually adjustable by changing its cistern volume via floodgates. Combined with the choice of oponents, this allows much better control of the process and keeping sanity without excessive costs and FPS loss on personal waterfalls.
Bed-to-food and back seem to be the most regular path. Since this requires merely setting up a chickenbowl and assigning a dorf the bedroom behind it, the training becomes useable not only in "sealed off children cave(s)" configurations, but at will. You deem an immigrant "badger-fodder weakling"? Prescribe him two fowl dances per day until he gets better!
And in the time not spent dodging an annoyed turkey's beak he still can work, which not only keeps him at least somewhat useful, but right jobs can prevents skills and attributes getting "rusty". Plus, of course, the fowl also does something useful while remaining an emergency reserve of unrotten meat or living decoys. :D
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 15, 2011, 09:44:35 pm »

Personally, I'm awaiting the new version of DF- I plan to start with a fort to make sure there's some decent weaponry and armor in the world before going on an Adventure-mode vampire killing spree, and I plan to start the project anew in that fort.

question: do unused attributes go "rusty" like skills - or is there only plain attribute damage?
Oops, sorry, all is there in the manual *(MENT_ATT_RATES).

Good find there- it looks like the memory loss will make the subjects poorer Students (which will impact weapon skill learning, when they come of age,) but then again, do "wild" children suffer the same attribute loss? I'll have to include a control child for the purpose of soul attribute comparison.

And if you can automate the process, you will win the "dwarfiest application of Child Care" award, hands down.

Pon_Katt

• Bay Watcher
  • GAK!GAK!GAK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 04, 2011, 06:11:33 pm »

I have just started my first test subject.  I don't think he will survive, but one can hope!
My little voice approves.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 18, 2011, 05:32:17 am »

Read the whole thing. I laughed.

:D
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 18, 2011, 06:36:51 am »

Stumbled across this by accident.

Read the first post, went "Wow some people are sick". Continued reading it.

This is brilliant.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 19, 2011, 09:35:20 pm »

Best HFS origin story ever. Screw the consequences, we have supersoldiers to make.

Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

I can imagine the goblins showing up with kidnapped human soldiers by their side, looking at the 12 year old horribly deformed kids and thinking "Woah, that's a bit too much, don't you think?"
how exactly is he creating god? :o
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 76