Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 610056 times)

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #405 on: December 27, 2011, 07:34:41 pm »

The wiki says that an adult is just 15K.  That's one reason I chose them.  Is the wiki in error?  I don't have access to the RAWs at the moment, or I'd check myself.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 27, 2011, 07:40:48 pm »

The wiki says that an adult is just 15K.  That's one reason I chose them.  Is the wiki in error?  I don't have access to the RAWs at the moment, or I'd check myself.

Oh wow, how did I cock that up? My mistake, you are correct good sir- Badgers max out at 15k. This means they fill that niche between Dog and Everything Else very nicely- the only problem is the breeding/supply issue. Hopefully that'll get addressed in the next round of bugfixing, since I suspect that's the sweet spot for size.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 28, 2011, 03:35:16 am »

Badgers do hold a solid degree of epic to them, yes...

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 28, 2011, 04:02:06 am »

Badger, badger, badger, badger, ...

I thought everyone had agreed that modding out the pet exotic tag was acceptable due to the dungeon master bug

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 28, 2011, 04:05:28 am »

Mostly yes, though badgers are such aggressive creatures that many American zookeepers refuse to keep them due to the danger they pose, so they may be legit exotic.  Still, I'll try 100% vanilla for now, and will move towards exotics if needed.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 28, 2011, 08:49:50 am »

I would love this method if it wasent for the dogs..
Maybe if i used cats instead? Alot of them.
Maybe i could combine that thing with a catsplosion be roasted machine, would rock my socks.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 28, 2011, 09:09:36 am »

Dogs are confirmed to be too vicious to work, they cause too much injury and result in infections and child death.  We're now looking at turkey as more likely candidates on account of their size and ability to nest-box.  Cats are also considered but their tendency to adopt reduces their value.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 28, 2011, 09:55:24 am »

The cats are likely to adopt the spartan, during the  many long years a couple of them will eventually get their head kicked in by their pet dwarf, mentally scaring the dwarf

So why are we ruling out cats again?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 28, 2011, 10:42:22 am »

Namely because cat adoptions aren't based on distance, and they will freely adopt ANY dwarf.  In fact they're not very likely to adopt the spartan, and the spillover could hit less favorable members of the community.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 28, 2011, 11:08:35 am »

Badgers do hold a solid degree of epic to them, yes...

A little bit of arena testing says that badgers are fairly unlikely to sever any nerves which was one of my concerns but they rip into flesh so easilly I imagine the infection problem with dogs will carry over. Still feeding children to badgers is what science is all about so it bears testing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 28, 2011, 12:04:23 pm »

Still feeding children to badgers is what science is all about so it bears testing.
Hmm, bears...  Bears.

Nerve severing is good, as long as it's the right nerves.  Sensory nerves?  Does a soldier need to feel pain?  Meh.  But yes, a bigger concern seems to be the amount of bite the animal achieves, and how easily they can cause infection.

Mist will clean nearby tiles, will it combat infection?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 28, 2011, 12:32:55 pm »

Hmm, bears...  Bears.

Nerve severing is good, as long as it's the right nerves.  Sensory nerves?  Does a soldier need to feel pain?  Meh.  But yes, a bigger concern seems to be the amount of bite the animal achieves, and how easily they can cause infection.

Mist will clean nearby tiles, will it combat infection?
Sensory nerve severing is good but it would suck to have a spartan after 11 years of commitment get bit in the foot, sever a motor nerve, and trade his shield in for a crutch. I haven't seen alot of data on infections mainly because they aren't easy to test. Is there something special about the clean patient labor that fights off infection or is it just the presence of water? I have a late stage fort and a personality disorder that could be used to test this.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 28, 2011, 12:39:09 pm »

Doesn't proper cleaning also require soap?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 28, 2011, 12:42:44 pm »

Doesn't proper cleaning also require soap?
Cleaning with soap is understood to be better than cleaning without soap and it's understood that cleaning without soap is better than not cleaning but again I haven't seen a ton of data on the issue.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:49:02 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 28, 2011, 12:45:02 pm »

Cleaning without soap is better than cleaning without soap?

What?
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 76